LCR Tyre sizes

justin_cupra

LCR 225
Jul 17, 2007
Basingstoke
I know the LCR runs on 225/40/18's but I have a mate who has a ever so slightly worn set of 235/40/18 Michelen Pilot's from an Audi RS4.
My question is, as they are only 10mm wider will they fit o.k?
I think they will, but would appreciate any opinions/experiences ect.

Thank you

Justin

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Putting that tyre size on your LCR could cause future probs ie ABS, Speedo etc... As they have a different rolling circumfrence to the 225/40/18 found on a LCR. As these have come off an RS4 you need to consider is what condition are the tyres in how much milage, is the any feathering or heal and toe wear on the tread. Also the age of the car would have an effect on the tyre wear. If I was you I'd play it safe and fit the proper size mate.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
As these have come off an RS4 you need to consider is what condition are the tyres in

As above they wont have come off an RS4 unless its been being run on the wrong size tyres which in a car with that much performance is barmy. Factory fit RS4's should have 255/35x18's on the old shape and 255/35x19 on the latest.

billyhas

May 22, 2003
kidderminster
Visit site
Putting that tyre size on your LCR could cause future probs ie ABS, Speedo etc... As they have a different rolling circumfrence to the 225/40/18 found on a LCR. As these have come off an RS4 you need to consider is what condition are the tyres in how much milage, is the any feathering or heal and toe wear on the tread. Also the age of the car would have an effect on the tyre wear. If I was you I'd play it safe and fit the proper size mate.

I thought 235 was the width,therefore would have no effect on the ABS or speedo

filbro

Jun 23, 2008
Derbyshire
The profile is 40% of the width though, so there is a slight difference on speedo.........

Last edited:

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
If you are going wider in width then to be safe you should go smaller in heigth. Basically the ABS etc is all set up around the rolling circumference of the tyres fitted as standard. Also some insurance companies can class the different size of tyre as a moddification so they would need to be told(to keep your policy valid). If you do fit them then just becareful as they could rub on full lock. Personnally I'd play it safe and keep the original size

cruising03uk

street sleeper
May 10, 2006
north london
go for the 235s there is about 3-4 mm in height its all crap you wont notice speedo out abs probs etc etc i have 235s an the extra grip in cornering and straight line is great

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
sos if this is a little off topic, but can you put bigger rear tyres on and leave the standard on the front...this way it wont affect the ABS or speedo surely...

it should have the benefit of the car having more grip on the back, and giving it a more butch rear end...

i dunno, just throwing some ideas in the mix...i love this idea tho, maybe 245/35 r18?

cruising03uk

street sleeper
May 10, 2006
north london
there would be no point putting bigger rear tyres an skinny front tyres u need the wider tyres where you need the grip, front wheel drive front tyres wider rear wheel drive rear wheels wider, for example
Merc SL63 rear tyres are 285 to put the power down but front only 255, so for a drag front wheel drive car they would have the wider tyres on the front or the same front and back. but 245 wont fit standard rims its pushing the limits and physics

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
yeh i realize the width should be where the driven wheels are, but for cosmetic and handling purposes without the problems i.e speedo etc....the rear will look spot on and be a little better handling wise surely

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
there would be no point putting bigger rear tyres an skinny front tyres u need the wider tyres where you need the grip, front wheel drive front tyres wider rear wheel drive rear wheels wider, for example
Merc SL63 rear tyres are 285 to put the power down but front only 255, so for a drag front wheel drive car they would have the wider tyres on the front or the same front and back. but 245 wont fit standard rims its pushing the limits and physics

It is illegal to have wider tyres on the front and thinner tyres on the rear in the uk (mot failure). Also regardless of if the car is fwd/rwd the wider tyres shoiuld go on the rear as this is where the grip is needed most as even in a rwd car you don't have full control of the rear. If you want to fit wider tyres on the rear then they would be 255/35/18 but they might need wider wheels tho, there could also be the chance they'll rub on arches etc. To be honest Bret it's not worth the hassle as long as you have good shocks arb's etc then wider tyres aren't needed. As not many places will fit the tyres as they're non standard fittment

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Why would fitting bigger tyres confuse the ABS system???

Surely it wouldnt be any different than fitting a bigger set of alloys that HUNDREDS of people in here have done,without any reported problems

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
It would only effect the abs system if the tyres that were being fitted have a different rolling circumfrence to the original tyres. The abs and traction control are both linked and set up by the rolling circumfrence of the tyre.

turbin

alot of assumtions here :p I run 235/40 18 BF Goodrich G-FOrce II in my LCR rims. Works a charm no probs whatsoever. I have spacers now but ran then first without and had like 1cm clearence inside the front rubber and the shock.

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
Quick question on mine I have 225/40/18 which I’m assuming is right, now as I have some issues with front splitter getting stuck in places what are people’s thought on going up to 45 profile? Not so harsh ride a little more ground clearance and fill the arches a bit more but a little less handling obviously?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members