Blue smoke on start up & changing gear...

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
I have searched, but found nothing conclusive on this issue....

When I first start my car from cold it chucks out a cloud of blue/whiteish smoke, and also does it when going from 1st to 2nd, and less so from 2nd to 3rd, with occasional large puffs on a trailing throttle. The problem seems to just about dissappear when the car is warmed through! The car is not using oil or water and seems to drive normally. It doesnt seem to be down on power either. It has been remapped, and chucks out the normal black sooty smoke when driven hard, the blue/whiteish stuff is only there when its cold!

Please can someone shed any light on this, be nice to know if its a simple problem or if something major is on its way out!

Cheers!

jamesy_1820vt

my wee mate VRS has a lot of smoke they same its becaues it has been remapped most TDI do it other an that a cant help lol

T. Spark

Most remapped TDi's dont smoke blue/white however, thats what he is saying.

I always used to say white/blue smoke from a TDi is the turbo, black is fuel.. either boost leak of my car, or at the moment both :cartman:

You say your not down on power? Take it a RR day and find out just to make sure?

ian_cupra

Hmm, hoping its not the turbo, but I guess valve guide oil seals wont be a cheap fix either?? :confused:

ian_cupra

Just spoke to dozza, he cant log on at the moment, but says cheers for the info fella's! :)

Looks like it wont be a cheap fix! :(

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Most remapped TDi's dont smoke blue/white however, thats what he is saying.

I always used to say white/blue smoke from a TDi is the turbo, black is fuel.. either boost leak of my car, or at the moment both :cartman:

You say your not down on power? Take it a RR day and find out just to make sure?

I thort maybe its the turbo, hoping its not though! What did yours do just before it went mate?

I was wondering if it could be excess oil getting into the intake system through the breather, or maybe the egr sticking??

Think ill try and ring RS 2moro and see what they think!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
get the car warm and let it idle for 5mins. rev it... cloud of blue smoke then clears? this was the valve stem seals. id get a compression test done.
mine ran like this for 2 years with little oil loss... but upgrading the turbo pushed too far and i was losing oil. it was stable till then.
head rebuild isnt cheap im afraid.

never did it from a cold start tho so maybe its something else.

T. Spark

Mine started to sound like a supercharger mate and was down on power, so doesnt sound exactly like that. If you need any help or anything give us a shout mate

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
mine gives out a nice puff of smoke when i start it up, must be something to do with the cold. but no smoke when driving.

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
get the car warm and let it idle for 5mins. rev it... cloud of blue smoke then clears? this was the valve stem seals. id get a compression test done.
mine ran like this for 2 years with little oil loss... but upgrading the turbo pushed too far and i was losing oil. it was stable till then.
head rebuild isnt cheap im afraid.

never did it from a cold start tho so maybe its something else.

Mine only does it from cold, it stops when its warmed up!

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Mine started to sound like a supercharger mate and was down on power, so doesnt sound exactly like that. If you need any help or anything give us a shout mate

Could just be that its in the early stages of failing??

Ill keep my ears out for the supercharger noise tho! Cheers for the assistance dude! :)

T. Spark

Cant say I ever noticed mine doing the white smoke thing! However if it is failing you will know the sound when you hear it... sounds ace! Me & EdButler got some vids of mine before it went pop, was probs about 10/15bhp down but sounded nice... made me think is there any room for a super under the hood, answer in short.. no lol.

roboftherangers

Yeah id definately think bout getting a compression test done. Had same blue/whiteish smoke from my old focus(only done 62000miles) turned out one of my cylinders was low on compression cos piston rings were knackered. Cost a bit to sort. So would definately think about getting compression test done.

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Looks like ill be getting a compression test and checking my breather hoses and turbo this weekend! :)

Thanks for the help dude's, ill let you know what I find! Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully it will be a cheap fix! Otherwise ill be cying!!! :cry:

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Not sure yet mate, dunno how one is even done to be honest! :lol:

Have a mate with a garage back home, so will prob see if he can do it for me! :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise