Non-Starting Cupra - Whats Wrong Now? (Inc Video)

Poverty

added to the fact that the fault, will most likely be somethin simple or unrelated to the mods.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Such a shame mate sorry to hear. I think they could have approached the issues and problems with more sympothy and given you the oppurtunity to sort before ending the contract. Like you said this is an enthusiasts car. But i guess i can see the other side regarding don't tune it if you don't own it. Hope things go ok it just seems so silly of SEAT.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I think that's a constructive attitude to have and I can support the continuation of the thread if it remains focused on the issues being raised. Ranting at SEAT's policy and threatening words being used helps no-one in the long run and will only lead to further ignorance.

I feel desperately sad for the situation you find yourself under and wish you well with finding a resolution.

SEAT have a customer base that will never modify their cars, and in most aspects it's probably a lot larger than our combined weight and they would never of heard of this forum. This can sometimes be forgotten by people here.

Though on the same hand SEAT must recognise our importance in the brand (especially in their premium product area) and maybe start to find new innovative ways to embrace our enthusiasm for the brand and the products.

I do not think this should be something that is essentially offered in the hire purchase segment, as risk is always associated. But many people do not rely on hire purchase schemes, they may have loans but the loan is not secured on the car.

In essence we as the outright owners could have more of a choice in how we want to individualise our property and it would be good for the manufacturer to get on side a little more. Maybe offering approved schemes, extended cover for approved modifications even if they charge an annual policy fee, the option is there for the customer to choose and the peace of mind associated with it.

Like people have said its a huge can of worms, and it's not a cut and dry situation. As enthusiasts we can make our views felt here by all means but I go back to the fact that it should be constructively addressed.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
It seems harsh but I think that SEAT are within their rights as it is their car that has been modified, not the owners. Depending on the amount still owed though there usually comes a point when it is more difficult for them to reposses it, 50% I think.

The value seems low as I part exchanged my Cupra last week for more than that and if I remember rightly mine was older (July 2007). That was against a no deals or discounts given Audi, but the deal was done two months when the market was better.

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
With regards to modifying a car which is technically owned by SEAT, it's not the wisest thing to do and it is essential that all terms and conditions of any contract be fully understood by the consumer.
However, SEAT should (in future perhaps) be more considerate to real enthusiasts and those who make this forum and the SEAT brand what it is.
After all SEAT is supposed to be a sporty brand

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Agreed - Who actually reads the 2/3 pages of small print when signing the finance docs?

I've uncovered some interesting things reading mine this evening, not just the "thou shal not modify the vehicle" one either... It makes for some scary reading!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Agreed - Who actually reads the 2/3 pages of small print when signing the finance docs?

I've uncovered some interesting things reading mine this evening, not just the "thou shal not modify the vehicle" one either... It makes for some scary reading!

One of the reasons why I try not to take out car finance if I can help it, too many restrictions. There is often also one about not taking the car out of the country for more than 30 days.

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
absolutley gutted for you mate, quick question though, do seat not use revo in some of there dealers?? im sure i have read dealers offer revo

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Really shocked and sorry to hear this, reason why I dont like car finance - I would always prefer a personal loan.

Sounds to me like they have gone over the top a little but only due to the finance issue, could have been handled in many other ways to keep both parties happier.

Does make you wonder when people comment - dealers have to 'prove' your modification caused the problem - but still a difficult situation, not like you can 'make' them work on it if they simply say no.

"computer says no" = lots of 'technicians' walking about scratching their heads

H8T WP

I feel absolutely fuking sick Reading this. Expose the branch. They are taking the piss.

I would refuse to let the car be taken until I have let my lawyer go through the contract

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I feel absolutely fuking sick Reading this. Expose the branch. They are taking the piss.

I would refuse to let the car be taken until I have let my lawyer go through the contract

Contract agreements are usually well written and when you break the T&C you signed, well as others have said, it doesn't leave you much room for complaint.

Still harsh I agree but I suppose it's a risk anyone takes when modifying something that's still under warranty and not technically yours in the eye of the contract.

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
Although it is very inconsiderate of SEAT to deal with the situation in this way, legally they are within their rights to take back the car. However, there would be reason to appeal for a more customer friendly deal i.e. a better valuation of the car or offering options for the car to be bought by the OP, therefore causing the minimum amount of damage/ stress to customer. Currently it seems SEAT are doing the opposite ...

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
Just to get back to the original problem. Did vagtech or the seat rep actually find the problem with the car yet? You just know this is going to turn out to be a simple fix. After all, no broken car is ever un-fixable. I guarentee that if I had the dealers resources (VAS, wiring diagrams, etc) that I could fix it easy enough.

on another note....not sure if SEAT UK still do this but they did go through a phase of advertising on several pages in each Max Power mag. I know they do not endorse any modifications but if thats not dangling the carrot in the wrong place then I dont know what is.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Can't quite believe all this.. Imagine how many cars are out there on the roads that are moddified, but also being payed for on finance.. Very worrying and I think this could be the start something..

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Just to get back to the original problem. Did vagtech or the seat rep actually find the problem with the car yet? You just know this is going to turn out to be a simple fix. After all, no broken car is ever un-fixable. I guarentee that if I had the dealers resources (VAS, wiring diagrams, etc) that I could fix it easy enough.

on another note....not sure if SEAT UK still do this but they did go through a phase of advertising on several pages in each Max Power mag. I know they do not endorse any modifications but if thats not dangling the carrot in the wrong place then I dont know what is.

:lol: Lol to the Max Power bit...

The fault though, is still unknown. The ECU when removed from the car works perfectly on thier test bench. Plug it back in the car though, and it wont play ball.

Just to clear up the finance issue, the way I understand it is that if I wanted to keep the car (which I dont) I will need to settle the balance in full within 28 days. If I am unable to do that, or whish to surrender the goods, the car will be bought back at current value, and I will need to pay any difference.

Either way, it's pretty harsh. As I dont have £15K hanging around to settle, the only option is to get rid of it and cut my losses - and those are huge!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
:lol: Lol to the Max Power bit...

The fault though, is still unknown. The ECU when removed from the car works perfectly on thier test bench. Plug it back in the car though, and it wont play ball.

Just to clear up the finance issue, the way I understand it is that if I wanted to keep the car (which I dont) I will need to settle the balance in full within 28 days. If I am unable to do that, or whish to surrender the goods, the car will be bought back at current value, and I will need to pay any difference.

Either way, it's pretty harsh. As I dont have £15K hanging around to settle, the only option is to get rid of it and cut my losses - and those are huge!

Or take loan out to pay for car settlement - buy it back off them and then get it fixed - or have you lost faith in the car / Seat?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Ouch. Not a lot to add that hasn't been said. Feel for you, but can see SEAT's perspective too.

You say you don't want to keep the car any more. If the fault was identified tomorrow and fixed would you change your mind? I'm assuming you've considered taking out a loan from a bank etc. to pay off SEAT finance?

Scott

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.