PreTensioner / Seat Airbag

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
Im needing to replace my pre tensioner and passenger side airbag in the seat. Today i unscrewed the airbag to find a wire going down into the seat.

How would i go about getting the old airbag out and putting new in? can i do this or is it abit of a job and really requires someone who knows what they are doing?

As for the pretensioner, is this the same as above?

Thanks

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
main thing to remember when dealing with airbags is to disconnect the car battery...as for the rest i can't help you there mate

T. Spark

When taking out the seat, the wire you mention goes into the bottom of the car. So should just be a cause of unplugging it underneath, and passing it on easy :)

T. Spark

You could just try and get underneath it, and unplug it, but it would be alot easier without it hucked down.

T. Spark

To take the seats out you do need a weird 'special' tool like star shape thing. However me and Tom. found out a 8mm allan (Sp?!) key does the job :D

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
like a torx screw? ive had a look and seems easy to get the seat out, its just the electrical things ill go wrong on i.e airbag and stuff. Pre tensioners are not cheap :( £165 not fitted. But how will i know if its the pre tensioner? will the connector not be knocked out of place or a wire loose?

T. Spark

I dont think its a torque screw, sure Tom. had a set and they wouldnt fit. To take the seat out, just disconnect battery (in theory not needed as already dischared airbag, but hey) and take the bolts out, lift up, and you will see were it is connected, just unplug that, and your onto a winner :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.