LCR or FR???? Can't make me mind up!!

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Simple - if you want more mpg and cheaper to run go for FR. If you want a bit more poke and more fun, go for the LCR. I think the question you have to ask is - If you buy an FR will you regret not getting the LCR?? I very much doubt that will be the case if you buy the LCR over the FR.

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
FR would be my choice.

LCR's road tax will be £300 per year from next April, the FR will be £125.

Also less cost for brakes etc.. too and cheaper of course on fuel.

If you want it faster get a remap and you should see about 190bhp and more torque than the LCR, so should feel as quick (without the LCR being remapped of course).

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
I thought "Flat" Ebony Black was just on the early LCR's, the 210's and the first of the 225's, I may be wrong.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, if you want LCR looks, with the Torque and Economy of a Diesel PD150, just find yourself an FR+, its the best of both worlds. (then map it to about 180bhp)

bozzzydmc

Last edited:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
How much do we all spend modding our cars and people mention road tax like its a million pounds. Buy the LCR - I thought about giving mine up with the mileage im now doing but the grin it puts on my face is worth the extra every time. Im not slating the diesel as i drive one all the time and i do like it but its not as enjoyable.

Last edited:

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
FR would be my choice.

LCR's road tax will be £300 per year from next April, the FR will be £125.

Also less cost for brakes etc.. too and cheaper of course on fuel.

If you want it faster get a remap and you should see about 190bhp and more torque than the LCR, so should feel as quick (without the LCR being remapped of course).

Darling chickend out on that I'm afraid, the maximum increase is to be £30, think LCRs/LC's will be looking at about £220 for the year... end of the day though... whats a couple hundred quid?

I know it's a silly question but what is the difference to the LCR, and the FR? I'm new to Seat

He's talking about the 150BHP diesel FR+ (1.9 TDi) vs the 225BHP Petrol Leon Cupra R (1.8T), I believe (will have to check original thread). So Speed is one key factor :p.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
well actually he's talking about an FR - they have the cupra bodykit etc, 1.9tdi PD engine and 150 bhp. The FR+ is the same engine but spec'd to look like an LCR.

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Get the LCR.

If you get the FR, you may get the itch to fit all the LCR stuff... so in the end.. you save money and time.

NJG

Black Magic
Apr 13, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Hey Thanks guys for your recommendations.:)
Seems the LCR is hot favourite with most of you.

Just to answer a couple of points you made.
The colour on both cars is indeed Black Magic (Metallic).
The price of the LCR (31,000miles \ 55 plate) is £9,495 12mths Tax, and 12Mths warranty.
The FR 150 (not FR+) (26,000miles \ 05 plate) is £8,495 3mths Tax and 12Mths Warranty.
Having looked at Auto Trader, these prices are higher than I have seen, but I guess you pay for the Seat “aftercare” with the warranty etc.

I’m looking at a car with that sort of mileage, the lower the better.

I’m only using the car for commuting about 50miles a day, so if I went with the FR, I could save £550 a year on fuel, and obviously the road tax would be about £120 a year cheaper, plus the usual tyres etc…etc…

I’m still very tempted though to go for the LCR. It just felt that bit more ‘special’ compared to the FR.

It’s not just about the running costs, but also which one is going to be more reliable over the 5 years I intend to keep it, and the resale value too.
Having said that, my 01 Cupra has covered 171,000 miles with very little problems.

Well, I’m going for a second look later in the week, and if either of them are gone, I’ll settle for the one that’s left!

turbin

its all about "driving emotion" isn't it?

so if you can get your sticky fingers on a nice LCR, hit it! Id hit it... and I have hit it already ;P

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
ive got a fr+ with the cupra r styling,its the 150bhp engine,very nice car and smooth,deceptivly quick to you dont realise the speed your doing until you look at the speedo,with regards to the smoking of the diesel engines this is easily sorted by cleaning the egr valve out from all the crud and then you can plug the vacum pipe to stop it working the result is
no more black smoke,an extra 3-4mpg and a little more torque too,
£20 of diesel gets me over 250miles showing an average of 60+mpg,
and road tax of £120 a year!

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
Yes, TDI is a nice way to go for consumption.....

Smoking also depends alot on your right foot... and driving habits...

A stock TDI can be clean :)

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Most mpg i got out of my LCR was 40mpg,i had to drive like a saint and it was over a 120mile trip,I was just seeing if i could get it to 40 just for fun,its easy to get 30+mpg out of it though.
After having both diesel (fabia VRS) and comparing that to my LCR for engine performance then on a motorway the VRS would have kept pace with my LCR(assuming LCR was standard,and not as it is now),and probably between 50-70mph,but on a country back road or a track then it was a different story,the vrs had small power band compared to LCR.
VRS did average 50mpg easily though and was a fast car,not as fast as LCR when it was standard but it did seem to have the best of both worlds,decent performance for public roads and great fuel economy.

keany19

Nov 10, 2008
Teesside
It has got to be the LCR, much more fun :D:D

Heres a pic just to remind you to get one
10122008014smaller.jpg

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
LCR all the way. No contest. Running costs are not that much higher than the Cupra, tyres and brake pads mainly. The LCR is the one you want. especially when you map it, great bang for the buck.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.