wiring fog lights..

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
ok i THINK i av figured out how to wire the relay....
pin numbers..
87 is to lights..
86..is hotwire(low beams)or to the switch.
85 is too the ground...
now pin 30 is from battery...

I pulled this set off my last car..they were aftermarket..
anythin decent iv read on the net tells me i should have a fuse between battery and pin 30...correct??
the wires i have now show no sign of any such fuse?!?wheres d fuse?like i thought i needed one?

the lights were hot wired to low beams...does that affect needing a fuse?:shrug:

sorry about the long post..im confused and not an electrician:p

here you go

wiring.jpg

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
:blink: think i will wire to the "switch"to low beams..switch looks complicated....:rolleyes:

thank you tom

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
No the fuse is not in the relay, it is a big fire hazard not to have a fuse very close to the battery when using a relay like above. If you do not have a fuse the piece of wire from the battery can become red hot and catch fire if there is a fault.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fit a fuse very close to the battery.

What ever wiring mods you make please make the fuse the very first thing in your modded circuit so that your new modded circuit is protected against a fault/fire.

Last edited:

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
they are more spot lights then fogs...half way between a candle and a fog....looks good...wont blind anyone and gardai never stopped me before...well not for light reasons anyway:p

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
this is a debate for another tread..i have read them all...my lights are not overly bright..never ever been flashed for having them on...night or day...AND I DRIVE ALOT OF HOURS...

evry light that makes u more visible on the road is an asset...once its not illegal or dazzling.

the biggest problem is tossers who driver around on dull/overcast/wet/low vis days WITHOUT any lights....and Parking lights...in most cars..including Ibizas are not worth a dam.
ur not saving petrol by having your lights off...ur just making urself hard to see...[B)]

Last edited:

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
"Sounds like someone who understands this should do or could go horribly wrong.."

Aimez if your going to call someone a ****** please try and speak in a resonable form of english the ****** can understand:p:ban: ignorance

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
this is a debate for another tread..i have read them all...my lights are not overly bright..never ever been flashed for having them on...night or day...AND I DRIVE ALOT OF HOURS...

evry light that makes u more visible on the road is an asset...once its not illegal or dazzling.

the biggest problem is tossers who driver around on dull/overcast/wet/low vis days WITHOUT any lights....and Parking lights...in most cars..including Ibizas are not worth a dam.
ur not saving petrol by having your lights off...ur just making urself hard to see...[B)]

^^^^^^^agree but I would like to see pics before I comment on them

Maybe the flames from the dodgy electrics will cause you to get flashed :whistle:

BTW leave Aimez alone, we need all the girls we can get on here.

BTW Aimez wired up her HID's on her own with a safety loom and I was well impressed. Think on young man.

Last edited:

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
her english didnt make sense...nothin i can do about that...
what kind of real woman wishes someone or their car would go up in flames?[:@]

who said the electrics is going to be dodgey?
if everyones as good at given advice as i credit them they will be just fine...:p
anyways..if they are lit...and i see no/smell no smoke and see no melting HAPPY DAYS:cartman:

maybe Aimez should wait to see pictures too...:por ware sunglasses in poor vis...then lights wont hurt her eyes;)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
It's a public forum I s'pose.

The relay is the safe way if you can get your head around it, tapping into the dipped beam will mean that prolonged use will cause the factory wiring (handling more current than it is designed for) to slowly cook. the factory wiring will slowly become brown inside the insulation and then become brittle.

The factory wiring will be designed to handle only just a bit more than it needs to for £££ reasons, this is the thickness of the wire I am talking about and also the amount of strands. by tapping into this you will probably need to upgrade the factory fuses. to do this ideally you will need to calculate the current draw using ohm's law. google this and I'm sure you will become enlightened<<<<<<<did you see what I did there ;)

BTW Aimez's english may have been a bit off today but your spelling as far as I can see is always a bit off :blink:

Last edited:

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
ya my spelling is atrocious:)p u like the way i spelt that right)

now that i understand the relay i myt get a switch....and just put it in car somewhere...have to see if i can wire a switch haha..

i am 98 percent sure when i took these lights off the other car the lad who wired them did not have a fuse between battry and relay.....is this right?

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
hmm dono where the chap put the fuse in that case lol...

really didnt know u could get that oem switch i will have a look...thanks for heads up..

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
i got a lad who works with cars to fit them to last car...haha guess it was a bodge job...lky for him they didnt go on fire...they used to get quite warm...thought it was normal..probably not??

Aimez

"Sounds like someone who understands this should do or could go horribly wrong.."

Aimez if your going to call someone a ****** please try and speak in a resonable form of english the ****** can understand:p:ban: ignorance

Sorry I meant to say 'Sounds like someone who understands this should do it for you or it could go horribly wrong' missed one word out not like my english is that bad and be careful what you say as you are the one typing in text speak:confused:

When did I say I wanted anyone's car to go up in flames the whole reason I said maybe get someone who understands to do this for you is so it is safe for you sorry you got that impression???.:shrug:

Just want you to have safe wiring :) and pre warning about flaming from people toward you driving around with dipped and fog lights/secondary lights on as know this is unpopular.

Thanks Nathan/protective older brother figure!