ICE install

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
ps... there is aloads of room in that cavaty down teh side of teh car for 0awg .. its the getting it through the grommit thast the pain in the arse

R Power

R Power
May 19, 2008
Coventry
Thanks for the great response guys. I originally went to bass junkies with my old FR 150, they installed it to the secondary point so i thought a well built company like that would know what they are doing so i carried on and done the same in my LCR and also another LCR. Mine is working fine still though, but im tempted to change it over now!
ill have to see if i can find a pic of this secondary port, as i am not up for taking the panel off again lol.

steve_p

Genesis Nut
May 3, 2008
Thanks for the great response guys. I originally went to bass junkies with my old FR 150, they installed it to the secondary point so i thought a well built company like that would know what they are doing so i carried on and done the same in my LCR and also another LCR. Mine is working fine still though, but im tempted to change it over now!
ill have to see if i can find a pic of this secondary port, as i am not up for taking the panel off again lol.

Does it look anything like the pic in step 3 of this link?

http://www.icecavern.com/howtos/leonlowerdashtrim/main.php

I would definitely not run any amp off this. It's not designed for it at all.
Plenty of room down the side of the car for a power cable. I'm running TWIN 0 gauge
(full length power AND ground)
Getting through the gromit is not that bad.
I've written a full guide on how to do it here.....
Think you'll have to log on to see the photos

http://www.icecavern.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3222
and here
http://www.icecavern.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3815

I pushed a flexi net curtain wire through the gromit from the engine bay side. It was easy to locate in the car (behind the glove box)
I taped the cables to it and pulled back through.
Piece of cake ;)

Any questions, just ask :D

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
i may be wrong so dont take this as gospell but i'm pretty sure bass junkies has a pretty bad rep over on talkaudio .

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol

Theres a reason they call them bass-monkies. Bunch of f*****g idiots:ban:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent

They probably did that to save a few hours labour on the install cost??!

R Power

R Power
May 19, 2008
Coventry
I cant access those pictures, but if it is a small electrical block underneath the steering wheel then yes that is it. im really considering swapping it around to the battery now. i mean if i do change it, what will i gain if anything? as it works ok at moment. will i notice anything?

steve_p

Genesis Nut
May 3, 2008
I cant access those pictures, but if it is a small electrical block underneath the steering wheel then yes that is it. im really considering swapping it around to the battery now. i mean if i do change it, what will i gain if anything? as it works ok at moment. will i notice anything?

Yep, that's what is in the picture.
You have to become a member to see the pics.
worth it though ;)

You'll probably gain in a cleaner voltage, less voltage drop and NOT fooking your cars electrics should your amp draw too much current or have a fault or possibly even just when driving the amp hard....... :whistle:

VERY VERY much worth it in my opinion!

I use those connections for sat-nav/hands free kits nothing more.

Ask ANY decent installer and they'll tell you that what you've got is a definite no no.

Last edited:

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
that is bollocks, a high current will always interfere with an analogue signal. Bad earths will also cause this but if your draining a lot ofamps the magnetic field of that currentpassing through will cause interferance as the free radical electrons will interfere with your audio signal. there are cases where this will be minimal, if your RCAs are a fairly high current and your amp is only a fewamps more current then the interferance isnt noticable.

But this is also the reason why if your house is under a main power line you get bad tv reception.

Balls.

AC and DC can't interfere. Physics dear boy.

Last edited:

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Bad earths cause interference, im running ALL my power and signal wire together, so thats 0AWG 4pairs of speaker wires, and 2 sets of RCA's I got a tiny bit when i first wired everything in and my speaker wires were long and in a ball/tangled up, shortened them to the right length and it went away. DC wont cause interference anyway as its a constant current, AC will as its alternating. thats why you get the noise of the alternator spinning when your badly earthed (alternators produce AC which is changed to DC by rectifiers on the alt)

tayloricedesign

Just so i know then is the best place to get the power cable through the bulkhead is behind glovebox? Anyone have any other pics or advice on the best way to do or things i need to avoid ?

wayne n

Oct 30, 2011
West yorkshire
What amp(s) you wanting to run m8? add all the fuse capacity's together and that will give you your current draw, then you can workout what size cable you require and whether you need to do the big 3. Big 3= battery+ to alt+, battery- to chassis and engine\gearbox to battery-. This will allow you to get the most from your power supply.

I have run RCA and power cable down the same side without issue.

b3e36f46.jpg

efd88ccf.jpg

b320dba6.jpg

6f2704d7.jpg

934b71ef.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members