wiring fog lights..

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
I presume its illegal seen as most peole on here will tell u the police stop you....
Im in the republic of ireland and av never heard of anyone been stoped!!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think if they come on via a fuse,relay when you flash or go high beam it will be fine. also legal too as 106 GTI's do this as standard. Well mine used to. I have wired up my cars to do this before, if you use a pair of diodes you can have double function lights (fogs on the fog switch and a bit extra when flashing/high beam) [B)]

Last edited:
quite simply its illegal to have your fog lights on if its not foggy, they should also fail an mot if they are not at the right height from the road, there is a specific measurement of how high they should be, and also they have to be alligned aswell!

basicly after market fog lights are a waste of time annoy alot of people and you may as well buy the oem ones and wire them in properly to the original loom!

Aimez

quite simply its illegal to have your fog lights on if its not foggy, they should also fail an mot if they are not at the right height from the road, there is a specific measurement of how high they should be, and also they have to be alligned aswell!

basicly after market fog lights are a waste of time annoy alot of people and you may as well buy the oem ones and wire them in properly to the original loom!

I had my MOT 2 months ago with new bumper and fogs that had never been alined I asked if it would fail on the alinement they told me they do not check them anyway?

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
tom ibiza the only rules are that the lights fog or driving must be at the same height and symmetrical...and im sure there is a max wattage...although I dont know what it is!!also it doesnt have to be foggy...just low visiblilty..like heavy rain

as far as the nct(mot) goes i imagine once they have some sort of switch and the wires are not a fire risk then it is ok...in ireland i think their is a rule stating any visible light must be working?!if u did fear them failing you could alway stick the blank bumper inserts on:por remove the light unit...take about 5min...

Aimez

tom ibiza the only rules are that the lights fog or driving must be at the same height and symmetrical...and im sure there is a max wattage...although I dont know what it is!!also it doesnt have to be foggy...just low visiblilty..like heavy rain

as far as the nct(mot) goes i imagine once they have some sort of switch and the wires are not a fire risk then it is ok...in ireland i think their is a rule stating any visible light must be working?!if u did fear them failing you could alway stick the blank bumper inserts on:por remove the light unit...take about 5min...

Sounds about right, apart from I thought the same as you if you have something ie any kind or lens/lights fitted they have to work. Apparently reverse lights even if you have them are not am MOT requirement I found this out on an MOT forum run by MOT testers. Confusing!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

I think your info has come from Mary Whithouse :lol: the MOT doesn't cover front fogs, reverse light or repeater indicators IIRC. then there are things like faulty rear wipers, wing mirrors, spare tyres and even rear view mirrors that can just be removed and then they need not be tested.

The MOT is not as strict as some might think.

Last edited:

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England

yea as said the height thing is bollocks cos there are those cars with fogs integrated into the headlight units. Bora and Golf are two i know of. not very sporty looking but not illegal for being so high!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members