Common Mk4 Problems

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Right, well you've missed out on getting any help from VAG, so it might be an idea, if you like playing with cars, to find out exactly what the numbers are on all the coils fitted to your car - I seem to remember that you can read them off the top of the HV potted area. Then keep a weather eye out (on ebay) for someone offloading some exdealer NOS ones that match your ones - the higher the "letter" the higher the revison of coil - so meant to be more resistant to inservice failure, I think that the HV potting cracks and if it lets moisture in that will accelerate the following burning up and total failure of the high side of the coil (arcing and burning/carbonising > tracking.

Surfergirl

faulty electric windows

Hi,
I love my little 1.4 but starting to doubt it now looking at everyone elses little probs, they look familiar. Does anyone have any experience of electric window problems. My passenger window decided to disappear at some point today in the rain. There is a steel cable visble and the electrics still make a whirring noise. Please please can someone offer some advice.

Off to see dealer tomorrow (i can see the bill now :cry:) The car is now soaked and I am going to be poor and mostly likely grumpy by tommorow.

Thanks in anticipation of reply:help:

petelking

Hi

I've got a 2008 Ibiza Cupra with 15,000Km on it.
MODs: Forge 007DV Forge Silicone intake Simota open air filter Custom remap 220BHP

This is what I've had so far and it all happened before I remapped the car:

1. Seat Sport Badge peel off engine cover - Fixed under warranty
2. Passenger door seal fell off - Fixed under warranty
3. Strange discolored dots on roof - Nothing to do about that, got the dealer to give me a free stereo system for that
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings - Starter Motor replaced under warranty
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it - Dealer claims it's normal for this gearbox?!
6. Dash parts popping out of place - Fixed under warranty
7. Windows make squicking noises whenever the car goes over speed bumps - I don't even bother with this one...
8. Sunroof makes rattling noises from motor - Fixed my self with allot of foam.
9. Ashtray light burned out - Fixed under warranty
10. Aircon makes ticking noise from fan - Fixed under warranty
11. Electric Mirror Knob popped out of place - Fixed under warranty
12. horrible noise When changing gear to reverse - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
13. Fogged Front headlights - Only happened once, if it will happen again I'll get the dealer to replace it.

With all that said, as soon as I push on the pedal I don't really care about the faults :)

Matt_FR

got a 54 plate frt150..

usual rear washer.. fixed myself...
crashed it.. fixed myself.
usual lights misting up.. fixed myself (drill vent holes in light caps.)
throttle position sensor failure.. just happened about 30 mins ago and have just been towed home..

usual coil packs.. was firing on 2 cyls at one point and the cat's failed. good excuse for a de-cat tho...

now car will refuse to start and sounds like its only firing on barely 2 cyls... and no throttle at all..

think my car has major issues.. keeps bringin up codes for the maf sensor etc...

let you know what happens.. gonna have a bash at fixin it the now... its not bad being a mechanic..

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
Hi

MODs: Forge 007DV Forge Silicone intake Simota open air filter Custom remap 220BHP

3. Strange discolored dots on roof - Nothing to do about that, got the dealer to give me a free stereo system for that
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings - Starter Motor replaced under warranty
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it - Dealer claims it's normal for this gearbox?!
7. Windows make squicking noises whenever the car goes over speed bumps - I don't even bother with this one...
12. horrible noise When changing gear to reverse - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
13. Fogged Front headlights - Only happened once, if it will happen again I'll get the dealer to replace it.

With all that said, as soon as I push on the pedal I don't really care about the faults :)

anything else:pwhats sand in gearbox sound like??:lol: i think al this would be a reason to have serious with dealer!!!

Matt_FR

off the parcel shelf.. then u concentrate on the black trim that hold the parcel shelf.. fold the seat forward in front of it to find a screw... theres one in the centre of the trim (when viewed from side on.. inside the boot) then the last one is under the corner trim where the main boot seal is.. this corner trim just pulls right off as its only clipped on..when all screws are out... then just wiggle the black trim and pull.. then you should find the black pvc washer pipe no problem.. find the 2 ends then they just click back together.. but better the use electrical tape etc to properly hold it together... because mines ended up popping of twice until i taped it.. hope that helps..

Ollie W

BigDave67, i have an 02 1.4 ibiza, with the most annoying creaking, exactly as u described in your list of problems, what was the problem and how did u get it fixed?
In your post on the 20/08/08, point 6.
Any help would be brilliant.

oony7

Hi

alright mate,see those marks on your roof,are they small black marks as if somethings been dropped on it or a fault in the paint??i have a 08 sportrider with 235 miles and my back lights are fogging up but they did that on my o2 tdi as well:censored:

RoughNeck6Zero

Weird handling

My son's Ibiza 1.4tdi 80bhp was handling a bit weird as if something was loose and noises were to be heard coming from outside the car.
It turned out to be suspension bushes needed replacing at 2.5 years and 11k miles . Yes 11K. Done under warranty by Seat. Told by the service manager they would go again, out of warranty would cost around £450 to replace.:-o

Fangio

Apr 20, 2007
2005 Tdi130 Fr..
Pretty reasonable so far with 30k miles done.

Electric mirrors packed up - fixed under warranty, a cable had been crimped in production.
Total coolant loss - fixed under warranty, a clip was chafing a pipe.

Ongoing minor niggles:
Wind noise is excessive, and so is road noise which even the stereo can't compete with. I have not attempted any kind of fix for the wind noise, but reckon the mirrors need the little vanes on top a la BMW.
The rear washer has packed up, but it's not desperate and the fix is on this forum.
Carpets on the drivers side are now very worn but otherwise the car is holding up very well indeed.
I enjoy the performance and don't mind the noisy engine and firm ride. These really are short distance cars, anything more than 200 miles becomes a bit painful due to the noise levels.
All in all certainly no worse in the reliability stakes than the Saab I had before, and generally better made, by a long chalk. For long distances and long hours I use a Ford Focus which is a far superior car for the purpose.
I suppose the Seat is a naughty little tyke with bloody knees kind of car, which I don't mind at all, for a bit.
All in all not bad at all:clap:

emma.kate

I recently got the mk4 "05" plate...

There is a serious fault with the A.B.S, the A.B.S. light comes on after a couple of miles of driving, but before that every time i break, the A.B.S always comes on, wether its on a dry raod or wet. The noise it makes is pretty dodgy too. Took it to the dealer twice and still hasnt been fixed.

The back windscreen wiper sometimes doesnt work when i want it to either.

and i dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but the horn only works in one place, when it used to work in three places on the steering wheel :S dont really know what hapened there.

but apart from that its a pretty damm good car:)

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I recently got the mk4 "05" plate...

There is a serious fault with the A.B.S, the A.B.S. light comes on after a couple of miles of driving, but before that every time i break, the A.B.S always comes on, wether its on a dry raod or wet. The noise it makes is pretty dodgy too. Took it to the dealer twice and still hasnt been fixed.

and i dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but the horn only works in one place, when it used to work in three places on the steering wheel :S dont really know what hapened there.

Take it back and kick up a fuss and demand that they keep hold of it untill the issues are resolved. If its under there own used car warrenty then ask them to fit a new steering wheel - the push pin contacts on the back of it become bent and prevent a circuit being made so the horn, as you've found only works in one place instead of all 3.

Polyphemus

1. Seat Sport Badge peel off engine cover
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it
13. Fogged Front headlights

Hi all,

I have a Dutch Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 2007, and I can confirm that I have the same issues as Petelking above. :blink:

Maleko

Had my car a week now :D Got a 06 MK4, came with the common fogged front head lights..i can't

Goose-Wingman

brought my 2002 1.2s in July 2005.

1. Drive it off the forecourt and 1 mile down the road the temp gauge goes right up and then engine cuts out. It had an oil leak aparantly which dripped onto a belt and made it slip and then it shredded! - fixed under warranty

2. Grinding/rubbing noise coming from front when going over bumps - had roll bar bushes replaced under warranty - problem is still there

3. Drivers window regualtor goes while on the M6 - problem fixed under warranty

4. Remote central locking stopped working - key replaced under warranty

5. leak coming from somewhere - drivers and behind drivers footwells are soaking wet, have to wet and dry vac it every time it rains - had door seal replaced, window seals checked - still not fixed

6. Cigarette lighter only works when it wants to - and even then doesnt get very hot - socket isnt even producing enough power to charge my phone - not fixed, not in the mood to spend money on the shed!

7. Passenger door refusing to open - wont respond to the remote key and wont let me pull the pin up from inside either. Cant put the key in the door cause the passenger side doesnt have a key hole! - still not fixed (hoping to vag com it at coombe abbey meet)

7. Timimg chain slipped, tensioner snapped = £350 bill. - fixed reluctantly

and the latest...

8. Rear washer jet not working - am guessing the pipe has come off - not fixed.

I really do love my car

I'm having a similar problem now with my very recently purchased 03 Ibiza 1.2. Please let me know how it works out - if you see this, of course. I'm hooking myself up with VAG-COM too, just so I can sort this problem. (Although, admittedly, I do also like the idea of sitting in my car with my laptop and laying down the law.)

cupraconnor

problems galore!

hi, owned my cupra for 18mths now, day i picked it up engine management light came on, temp sensor replaced, 2mths l8r manifold bolts worked loose, 6mths after that HEADGASKET gone! only covered 18000miles!! another 1000miles and temp sensor gone again!!
Dont think i'll have it much longer when warranty runs out.
MY rear washer packed up aswell!

Skywalker80

Hi, I've just bought an Ibiza 130 TDI Sport (2003) and already have problems.

Petrol Gauge works when it wants to
Coolant warning buzzer and light comes on when it wants to

Anyone had these issues and managed to fix them?

Also have a vibrating noise coming from behind dash or below it when traveling over 80mph.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.