Lowering

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
How do i know if i wanna lower it by 30mm or 60mm? just wondered if anyone has got their mk4 done - ive got a 1.9 tdi 130 sport 04 plate and i dunno what to go for! just wanted to find out from photos or people's experience before i buy springs i dont want haha :)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
How do i know if i wanna lower it by 30mm or 60mm?

:blink: Only you can answer that question... :rolleyes:

This is my Cupra on coilovers wound down a "reasonable" amount

main.php

This was my old TDI Sport on the Seat Sport kit which dropped it around 25-30mm

ibiza.jpg

You'll have to excuse the back wheel in that pic as my drive isn't the most level in the world. :)

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
thanks for the pics, judging by that i think 60mm would mean it'd scrape on everything which i hate, had a 106 like that before it did my head in! i dont have a clue about lowering so whats the difference between just the springs and coilovers?! sorry to sound thick but i only deal in ICE and styling etc, not a clue about the rest! i just get someone to do it haha

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
With just springs you're basically just replacing the spring part of the suspension and using the standard dampers. With coilovers you're changing the full suspension unit which will replace the dampers and springs for height adjustable coilovers. You can also change the springs and shocks for a set height kit.

Hope this helps,

Damian @ DPM

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
i have a ibiza 130 and got coilovers on mine lowered on front about 80 to 90mm there rear is lowered all way down cant remember but think about 100mm no probs with the rear but the front if i lower it any more the under-tray will rub on floor course of standard 16" wheels got a splitter which will catch on herbs if ya drive in to them

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
With just springs you're basically just replacing the spring part of the suspension and using the standard dampers. With coilovers you're changing the full suspension unit which will replace the dampers and springs for height adjustable coilovers. You can also change the springs and shocks for a set height kit.

Hope this helps,

Damian @ DPM

since you seem to be in the trade you're probably used to explaining stuff to thick people, i see the difference now. coilovers seem like the better option being adjustable, even if they are more expensive. might solve my creaking problem too!

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
i have a ibiza 130 and got coilovers on mine lowered on front about 80 to 90mm there rear is lowered all way down cant remember but think about 100mm no probs with the rear but the front if i lower it any more the under-tray will rub on floor course of standard 16" wheels got a splitter which will catch on herbs if ya drive in to them

I am keeping my standard wheels and getting them refurbed in anthracite so thats really helpful to know i can go that low without too many problems! i dont drive thru many herbs though so i should be ok :p sorry couldnt resist!!

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
Im keepin standered wheels for winter refurbin mine black i think so i dont have to clean them:cartman:im gettin 17"s in summer so can lower it more the ride is bumpy but i dont mine dont drive it much anyways.iv not hit the kerb in it my girlfriend did when she past her test shes never goin to drive it again

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
Im keepin standered wheels for winter refurbin mine black i think so i dont have to clean them:cartman:im gettin 17"s in summer so can lower it more the ride is bumpy but i dont mine dont drive it much anyways.iv not hit the kerb in it my girlfriend did when she past her test shes never goin to drive it again

i was just taking the mick coz you said HERBS! and yes dont let her drive it with that track record, girls are normally better drivers tho!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
i was just taking the mick coz you said HERBS! and yes dont let her drive it with that track record, girls are normally better drivers tho!

I would like to disagree, but I digress as this is going way off topic. :)

TonyK

Vodka?
Jul 16, 2006
Northampton
Lol .. my Cupra TDi is dropped 30mm ish all round and it doesn't catch on anything and looks good that low in my opinion, it could go lower but I'd be worrying about the sump all the time. 60 mm would look awesome but you'd probably hate having to stop at every speed hump, ramp, slanted drive ...

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Lol .. my Cupra TDi is dropped 30mm ish all round and it doesn't catch on anything and looks good that low in my opinion, it could go lower but I'd be worrying about the sump all the time. 60 mm would look awesome but you'd probably hate having to stop at every speed hump, ramp, slanted drive ...

You're not wrong there. I'd forgotten how low my sump was until I looked at a pic I took in Spain earlier on this year...

main.php

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Probably around 30mm as well tbh. I never measured it after I picked the car up from AMD after they fitted the coilovers, but that looks about right.

Red Rum

Using "the fuel of Satan"
Jun 29, 2007
Durham
Its suprising how much you can get over without scraping, even when its dropped right down. Mine will catch on now and again, but ive not come across a speed bump i cant get over yet.

DSC_0382.jpg

next to standard height

DSC_0363.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.