Now Then - mk1 golf owner buying a 2002 leon cupra

mattgcupra

Excellent move both on the Mk1 Golf and on the daily driver Leon idea.

You on Mk1GOC?

I also have a Mk1 and now have an 'X' Leon Cupra for the long haul commute.

As long as you know any Leon will never have as much grin factor as the Mk1 then you're on to a winner. Good Luck

Matt

tomatoketchup

Man I'd love a mk1 gti for playing with at the weekends (so to speak). I'd back up the others here that are saying LCR though.

If you were just looking for a tidy cruiser then would seem right to go for a lower mileage newer cupra, but you're talking about a fair bit of modding and the bhp figures you can get to - and the LCR puts you at such a better starting point.

I'm biased mind you.

Aug 24, 2007
my mk1 raggy hasn't left the garage since I got the LC :cry:

Really should find him a new home this year.

ConradJellyfish

Dec 27, 2008
Excellent move both on the Mk1 Golf and on the daily driver Leon idea.

You on Mk1GOC?

I also have a Mk1 and now have an 'X' Leon Cupra for the long haul commute.

As long as you know any Leon will never have as much grin factor as the Mk1 then you're on to a winner. Good Luck

Matt

yeah man, when i have some more time and money the mk1 will be finished, ive got a stripped down G60 in the garage waiting.

heres a pic of the mk1, MANGO cos of the reg.

DSC_2593.jpg

DSC_2273.jpg

DSC_2266.jpg

ConradJellyfish

Dec 27, 2008
Man I'd love a mk1 gti for playing with at the weekends (so to speak). I'd back up the others here that are saying LCR though.

If you were just looking for a tidy cruiser then would seem right to go for a lower mileage newer cupra, but you're talking about a fair bit of modding and the bhp figures you can get to - and the LCR puts you at such a better starting point.

I'm biased mind you.

im thinking facelift spec cupra, 2002 me thinks about 4k

guna go see the bank manager new year probs Feb :)

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
another mk1 owner here, sad thing thing I have not driven it in 6 months, oh well wait for some good weather and a little time to fix it up nicely.

mattgcupra

Lol yeah I know what you mean. The most ridiculous bit on the rhd Mk1s is the clutch cable.

In the engine bay pic you can just about make it out. As you look at the pic it's the black cable that comes out of the bulk head just to the left of the inlet manifold, comes right the way across the engine and then disapears down towards the clutch housing and gearbox.

When you look at engines now they are just so much tidier and better thought out.

It's 112bhp (as standard) and weighs nearly a tonne less that the Leon so unbelievably good fun to drive. I'm sure that most people have seen pics of a Mk1 going round a corner on three wheels and they make you want to drive like that all the time.

Not much protection in a crash tho!

kaye

Jan 6, 2007
i have a mk1 golf gti and a leon cupra... no comparison really at all mate... the leon is bigger and heavier but has a lot more torque and power to the wheels... totally different driving experience

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.