What is the best clutch?

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
I've got a remapped PD 160 and I think the clutch is giving up. I can still change gear with no issues but when it is in gear and accelerating, the revs jump up and stay at 3,000rpm until the rest of the car catches up. :help:

Now I have tried with the ESP button off and cold/hot tempratures (car and weather) and it still slips between 2,100 and 3,000. Is this where the peak power band in diesels is? I have read here that some people recommend a clutch as one of the first mods because it is the beezers achillies heel and others having no issues after performance upgrades.

Ive got over 52,000 miles now, It's four years old so the cambelt needs doing, might aswell get the clutch done with the rest of the "Big One" service at 55,000. (no food for me for a month!)

Anyone have any recommendations for Clutches?

Plz no flame for search button

Last edited:

T. Spark

What is the best football team in the world?

My point being is its down to the person. What do you want from the clutch? OEM feel?

60k is cambelt etc, the big one!

gus

Jun 27, 2006
What about helix clutches ??? Juast rang them and they can supply performance clutch at £500, this was quoted for my ibiza tdi running 300lbs torque, 2 or more people the will give 15% off orders.

Has anyone used these at all????

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
What about helix clutches ??? Juast rang them and they can supply performance clutch at £500, this was quoted for my ibiza tdi running 300lbs torque, 2 or more people the will give 15% off orders.

Has anyone used these at all????

Just out of interest, where did you get the quotes for the helix?

T.spark is running one, and pumping about 380ft/lbs of torque through it, so will be more than adequate.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
one of there distibuters 01472 240221, im gona get one once mine decides to pack up. only on lower revs when i put it down in 3rd 4rth my clutch slips,

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Whats the company called?
If i was you. i would sort it now. If not it will be damaging your flywheel, meaning you will also have to replace that at the same time which can be costly.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
donrt know hwat there called but they distrubte for helix clutches, i will get this sorted asap, but does anyone knwo if these cluthces are like the oem ones, as in when u use them. are they stiffer??? more aggresive????

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Stiffer and more aggressive but to be honest they feel a lot better than OEM. Im after a new clutch and im considering this option now.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
i will once i have the money for them, just dont wana ruin my driving with a stiff clutch,

gus

Jun 27, 2006
give them a call if there open tommrorow and see what they can do for u.......

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Gonna give them a call in a minute. No matter which uprated clutch you go for its going to be a bit stiffer than the OEM item. You just have to lie with it. Feels a lot better though. Much more crisp.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
cool thats made up my mind helix is the one for me, thanks for the help on this tom and others ;-))

what power are u pushing as u wana get a new clutch??

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Not sure. Was RR'd with just a remap at 166 bhp and 285 ft/lbs but since i have had a FMIC and couple of other bits. Clutch has been slipping for a while now though.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
ok cool i will see if and when i will get one :)) if u get one tel me what u think about it.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Just waiting for helix to call me back now. If the price is right i may be ordering pretty soon, so will let you know.

I have very briefly, and i mean briefly driven a car with the helix clutch/flywheel combo and it felt very nice.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Just heard back from them now. With dual mass flywheel it costs £820, and with single mass £870.

This is where i have a dilemma (sp?). The guy seemed pretty convinced that if i was to go above 300ft/lbs, the dual mass would fail. Only thing im unsure about with the single mass, is wether i could live with the noise on tickover.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members