Winter Pack Washer Jets Freezing

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
I never use my washers if its minus outside, untill there is a little temp in the engine to ensure the heat defrosts any fluid in the pipes of the washer. Parents had a VW Sharon and it burst the pipes because some stupid eajit kept the washer on when it was frozen..

Does your washers work when your engine is up to temp?

No I've driven for nearly an hour and nothing. First thing Seat asked was the boot wet turns out thats where the pipe blows off if you try and pump water through when it's frozen.
The heated mirrors come on when you turn the control knob to the center but they stay on so you have to twist the knob round to one of the mirror adjustment clicks to turn them off so mine were on for, oo about 6 months during the summer :doh:

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
its the law. they also have to be self leveling.

I can only guess that as they are so bright if they get some grit or something on them and it deflects the light they will blind the poor guy coming toward you or who you are following, hence it's law to have them.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
The heated mirrors come on when you turn the control knob to the center but they stay on so you have to twist the knob round to one of the mirror adjustment clicks to turn them off so mine were on for, oo about 6 months during the summer :doh:

they only come on if the mirror knob is centre AND the heated rear winscreen is also on.
switch the rear screen off, the mirrors also go off.

andycupra

status subject to change
sounds to me like a few of you have been stingy with the screen wash.
Keep the dilution at the correct lever for winter and you will be ok.

Did i read it right that one post even commented that the water in the bottle was frozen so it would spray very well!? says is all.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
i will if you will......

i know mine does ... I keep cursing myself for leaving them on and it drying out all the dirty water onto the mirrors.

I would stick them on to defrost them in the morning (along with rear screen) - then drive to the garage, get a coffee, restart the car - which now means the rear windscreen is off, and drive down the motorway for 50 miles .... heated mirrors still on :yes:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I would stick them on to defrost them in the morning (along with rear screen) - then drive to the garage, get a coffee, restart the car - which now means the rear windscreen is off, and drive down the motorway for 50 miles .... heated mirrors still on :yes:

if that is the case, ive been driving round with mine on for the last 18 months and 11000 miles :blink:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
anyway, we think weve got problems....

ice_car_.bmp

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
All these variations in operation are weird on what's essentially the same car.

In my A3 manual, for example, it says that the heated mirrors come on/off automatically based on the exterior temperature :confused:

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I normally use the pink Halfords screenwash, i have had it freeze below -1C which is nothing like the temp thats quoted on the pack. I dont have the winter pack.

I should stick some in the freezer and see when it freezes!

If just the nozzles are heated, the pipes, pump and bottle may all freeze so the fluid wont even get to the cosy nozzles.

Engine heat may defrost things but as the washer bottle is at the low front of the car, i think it will get a nice blast of cold air and no warm engine bay air.

It would be good if a small trace heating cable could be fixed to the washer pipe, pump and a small heater inside the washer bottle. Id imagine you dont want it too warm as the Ethanol will evaporate removing the antifreeze effect and leaving you with a stickly dilute glycol mix.

GM group and a few others use a system by "Microheat" which warms the washer fluid, perhaps a retrofit is avaliable?

Stuart

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Always put loads of screenwash in the water bottle it cost me nothing so why not however I am prepared to by the vag stuff and give that a go.
Mirrors are def independent to the rear screen heater but mine were on for around a year :lol:
Agreed allot of ways it all works for basically the same car would be nice if they were auto like the A3.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I thought the heated mirrors only came on when the frost light was on on the dash?

Edit: Just looked in my manual and it says.. "The exterior mirror heating should be switched off when it is no longer needed. Fuel is wasted otherwise."

Looks like they do stay on all the time.. That means mine have been on since I bought the car! Whoops!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise