Number plate removal

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Evening all,

Just a quick one, i've just ordered myself some legal pressed european plates. Does anyone have any techniques for taking off the old ones (the glued on type, not the screwed obviously! ha)

Cheers

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
you need to break the bond the tape has, use a credit card to "cut" the tape and it should release, if not your card will snap and you will know what a credit crunch is:whistle::ban:

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Yeah i thought they would be easy...but didn't fancy pulling off some lacquer at the same time really!

Will it may help with the credit crunch...stop me using it! Cheers boys

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
If it's held on using the double sided foam/pad then use some dental floss with a sawing action to remove the plate. Then you can peel/roll off the rest at leisure :D

JamJay

California Bound
If it's held on using the double sided foam/pad then use some dental floss with a sawing action to remove the plate. Then you can peel/roll off the rest at leisure :D

Nice little tip there :)

I plan to do this very soon as the pressed plates do look very nice but I don't think I can get a smaller front plate that is pressed. I want 16.5" x 4.5" on the front as opposed to 20.5". Hmmmm...

Anyway, where are you getting your plates made James?

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Well you can order them from Dubmeister (http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/) but you will need to send away some of your documents (Driving licence and V5 form) but I'm ordering from one of there dealers shops so I can just take them in rather than sending them off. There is a page on there website where you can search the closest to you (http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/dealers/ukmap.html)

They also do different size pressed show plates too, you'll have to have a look on there site mate...

Yeah dental floss is a good one, like removing the badges the badges, cheers.

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Oh B3LSY, my cars going in to get some of the paintwork and body work sorted next week (hopefully it will be pristine then!) and I'm getting some new wing mirror cover sprayed jet black. Just wondering how you took your old covers off? Did you just use a credit card and brute strength? Cheers

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i've been reluctant sticking on my pressed plates as i got them from ebay and are illegal. only £17 so not too much out of pocket..

may pop in to my closest dealer...

does anyone know if they'll do an "E" mark?

JamJay

California Bound
Well you can order them from Dubmeister (http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/) but you will need to send away some of your documents (Driving licence and V5 form) but I'm ordering from one of there dealers shops so I can just take them in rather than sending them off. There is a page on there website where you can search the closest to you (http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/dealers/ukmap.html)

They also do different size pressed show plates too, you'll have to have a look on there site mate...

Yeah dental floss is a good one, like removing the badges the badges, cheers.

Thanks for the info :)

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i just called my local dealer from the dub website and apparently dub has just been brought out by another company. i was told they will probably start making them from feb if they can get the machines in from dub...

will pop down in feb!

Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
I didnt think you could get 'legal' pressed plates?

Yeh you can
Im just after getting myself a set
Dubmister or summat do them..

Had a bit of trouble taking my old ones off :(
They were screwed, but the rust had rusted over the star on the head so there was no way of using a screw driver. Ended up ripping it off :D

Last edited:

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Yeah you can have a look on the dubmeister web site mate it explains on there, or so a quick search on google.

Coalesy

Leon FR 20vt
Sep 16, 2008
Dronfield
i got pulled twice in my old polo for german plates, just said i was returning from a show and forgot to swap them over, got away with it but ive ordered my legal ones the otherday from dubmeister and im picking them up form my local dealer this weekend :)

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
BS145d_info_page-1-1.jpg

Heres a pressed plate. There metal instead of plastic.

I've just been to TSR Performance in Bridgwater, who have brought Dubmeister. My plates should be done next week and they are going to send it to me £30. Quite a good place down there, offering revo and customcode remaps etc and got a 4WD rolling road too.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
cheers James,
did wonder what difference was and not much over a plastic flat one, though i guess less change of front peeling off and water getting in behind to ruin it

what are people attachingthese with?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.