Head Gasket

Hayz

Cheeky
Apr 5, 2006
Portsmouth
www.drive4fun.co.uk
Wooo Hello everyone :) Not sure how many people remember me and me little green beast from the scrappies. Not been here for yonks. I'm afraid to say that I swayed from the SEAT scene.. wait though I still have my little ibiza, couldnt bare to sell it. It just died :(

It started making foul noises in August, woop the water pump had gone. Changed that, the thermostat and the radiator. Then my oh my the head gaskit went, bloody fantastic lol. Kinda lost my rag with it so since then it's been sat on my drive way. In my wisdom I bought an astra coupe. and WHY the hell did I do that. Yeah its easy to drive but so god damn boring lol. Anyways That is up for sale as I miss the SEAT so so so much. That thing is my pride and joy.

Anyway point of this, I need the torque settings and order of the head bolts :) Never done a head gaskit before but after taking out the cog off the cambelt so its not going to be too bad, used to taking the timing belt off. Shouldn't be too hard :) I hope.

Cheers :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
what year model and engine code is it - can run a copy off here if you need it

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sequence might be a little hard to explain but ill try

.................(10)-----(4)-----(2)-----(6)-----(8)
cambelt.....--------------------------------------.... clutch
.................(7)------(5)------(1)-----(3)-----(9)

new bolts
stg1 - 40nm
stg2 - 60nm
stg3 - 90 degrees
stg4 - 90 degrees

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sorry i didnt check back earlier - been busy getting my rear end chewed by she who must be obeyed

Hayz

Cheeky
Apr 5, 2006
Portsmouth
www.drive4fun.co.uk
Dolly, Cheers I know there is the sequence, thats why I asked the order of them :D

Cheers Flapper your an absolute star. Time to get dirty I guess haha Fun times. x Lucky I enjoy it a?

With the stages bit is that just the order I do it in?? Sorry just being a bit thick now haha

Last edited:

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
do each stage in order so the head is pulled down evenly from the middle outwards.

its pretty easy rebuild the only thing i messed up was doing a cambelt on a 8v gti was the dizzy runs on the oil pump pulley so make sure that bad boy is timed up along with cam and crank.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
stages are the order to carry out ye - dont panic - and as dolly says when you do the belt make sure it's all marked/lined up correctly TDC etc

if in doubt turn it over by hand (spanner on crank pulley) first a few times, i think mine went over about 20 times before i was happy to start her up - lol

Hayz

Cheeky
Apr 5, 2006
Portsmouth
www.drive4fun.co.uk
It's cool :)

Cheers guys. I had the cambelt off before and timed it up fine after :) although if anyone takes my cambelt cover off they will see a lovely shade of red nail vanish painted on bits of it haha.

whats the best way to flush it out as its pretty snotty.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
ive flushed Rads/matrix's before by disconnection a coolant hose and just sticking a hose pipe in, its enough pressure to push crap out. might be worth taking the stat out or get it red hot and then flush it again otherwise the coolant in the Head its self wont be circulating i reckon

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
sequence might be a little hard to explain but ill try

.................(10)-----(4)-----(2)-----(6)-----(8)
cambelt.....--------------------------------------.... clutch
.................(7)------(5)------(1)-----(3)-----(9)

new bolts
stg1 - 40nm
stg2 - 60nm
stg3 - 90 degrees
stg4 - 90 degrees

is it the same with mine then??? my engine is AEE, got the gasket and bolts, anything else ill need???

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
its different on different engines i wouldnt assume anything youll end up snapping head bolts or doing some damage.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
good good guys thanks for the comeback not yet done so, as wanted advice first, as first time i will have changed head gasket, got step dad who will help who is an ex mechanic like lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise