For Info: The Water Leaking Passenger Footwell

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
Just for info really if anyone wonders how much this will cost.

From my SEAT dealers today (I took it there because I'd rather pay extra for people who are supposed to be experienced and know about common faults)

FAULT: Water ingress from 2 places into the passenger footwell over and under the carpet in heavy rain - down the kick panel where your left foot would be and throught the bulkhead where the aircon pipes come into the car in the centre of the footwell where your right foot would be.

RESOLUTION: Unsurprisingly it's the Pollen filter mounting seal as confirmed by SEAT as being a common fault. Strip stuttle panel and windscreen beading, remove, clean, and refit new seal and filter housing.

COST: £119 inc VAT :ban:

They also pointed out the door was leaking too.:censored:

andycupra

status subject to change
From my SEAT dealers today (I took it there because I'd rather pay extra for people who are supposed to be experienced and know about common faults)

the words 'experienced', 'know about common faults' and 'dealers' rarely go together.

Those dealers that do door leak repairs are told by seat uk to use silicone sealant only and where a car is under warranty will not authorise a 'proper' repair.
Very poor.

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
That would have took you 20 mins at the most.

Water in two places?

Are they not doing the door seal then?

I'm sure it would have, but I'd rather have a professional to do it. :)
Besides, no one appears to have actually posted a detailed thread about how to do it on here. Just 'This is where it's leaking from-reseal with silicone' when they're fixing it properly with a new seal :)

I can't justify getting the door seal done when it's not actually leaking INTO the car. It just pools in the sills. Besides, the door window mechanism was replaced (which includes the whole inner door skin as a sealed unit) not 2 months ago by a local garage and that's the one that SEAT claim is leaking into the car (although I've never seen a drop of water pass the rubber door seal since owning it-methinks theyre just touting for work) so that garage will be getting it back soon :)

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
Stuff that, I can do the silicone seal door fix, I did it before. I've taken the doors apart more times than I've had lapdances :)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The pollen filter is simply make sure "the extra flap" it as doesn't double up when you replace it.

If you have water on the sill, trust me, it's the door seal starting to leak.

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
The pollen filter is simply make sure "the extra flap" it as doesn't double up when you replace it.

If you have water on the sill, trust me, it's the door seal starting to leak.

No. It's not Lee. It's the seal around the pollen filter mounting case. I tried the 'extra flap' myself and it still leaked even when definitely in place correctly. Water will always get in there in heavy rain but if the seal is good, it won't make it's way into the cabin.

I know the door is leaking. My point is that there in no actual water ingress into the cabin(hence my italicised 'INTO' you might have noticed :)). Hence not getting them to fix it and pay dealer labour when that's something i can do myself.

Last edited:

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I'm confused, what do you mean by 'seal around the pollen filter mounting case' ?

I had the thing to pieces the other day at work and saw no such seal.
The filter drops into place inside a small plastic frame. The curved plastic piece gets clipped in and then the (most horribly designed piece of rubbish I have seen in my entire life) large rubber channel/seal has to be pushed in correctly and the front screwed in.

Judging by my mishaped channel/seal it has always been fitted incorrectly.

Oh and I think my door seal is going.

I need photos of this seal you speak of!

andycupra

status subject to change
I'm sure it would have, but I'd rather have a professional to do it. :)
Besides, no one appears to have actually posted a detailed thread about how to do it on here. Just 'This is where it's leaking from-reseal with silicone' when they're fixing it properly with a new seal :)

I can't justify getting the door seal done when it's not actually leaking INTO the car. It just pools in the sills. Besides, the door window mechanism was replaced (which includes the whole inner door skin as a sealed unit) not 2 months ago by a local garage and that's the one that SEAT claim is leaking into the car (although I've never seen a drop of water pass the rubber door seal since owning it-methinks theyre just touting for work) so that garage will be getting it back soon :)

you wouldnt be the first to think its not leaking when it is...

mine leaked, there was no evidence of it leaking from the door but if i got in when it was raining it was clear.

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
Ok, it's not difficult to figure out on my car.

I know it's leaking. Has anyone actually read my posts above? :lol:

You open the door, water runs out where it has pooled in the SILL. However, it doesn't spill over the plastic trim into the car at ANY point, and the carpets are dry. Simple :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ok, it's not difficult to figure out on my car.

I know it's leaking. Has anyone actually read my posts above? :lol:

You open the door, water runs out where it has pooled in the SILL. However, it doesn't spill over the plastic trim into the car at ANY point, and the carpets are dry. Simple :)

But it gets on the sill from the joint between the bottom of the doorcard and the door. Perilously close to where it can seep over into the carpet. It might not be wetting your carpets now, but one day in the not too distant future is a certainty. Plus, it's a source of condensation inside the car.

You say your carpets are dry, but aren't you talking about just having had the pollen filter housing sealed... to cure wet passenger footwell?

mallett

Jul 6, 2006
Bristol
I don't know why I bothered posting to be honest. :cry:

My footwell is NOT wet. I didn't say I had wet carpets at any point? The pollen water leak started only a few days ago in heavy rain and it was a teaspoonfull of water dribbing down.

I've lifted all the carpets and they are bone dry.

My car does no steam up and I don't have a condensation problem.

The doors leak, but they don't leak into the car. They have done this for the 3 years I've owned it and it's never leaked into the car.

The point of the thread was simply to put a fault, resolution and cost associated to a simple common fault, as opposed to a lot of threads 'proposing' what the fault might be and a DIY bodge fix in no real detail. I appreciate people like to fix their own cars, but I'd rather not, and have it done properly so I have comeback if it doesn't resolve the issue. :)

Last edited: