cam belt change

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
My 05 reg 20vt FR is going to be 4 years old this year, The thing is, at the moment it has a shade over 17k on the clock. What are your thoughts on the cam belt ??

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yes I agree but, 17k ?

Do the belts really degrade in 4 years with only a few miles on them?

I had a mk3 before this and I had that 5 years. I had a full dealer service history but never had a belt done. BTW the mk3 did 17k in those 5 years so this one has been used a bit more :D

Did my dealer miss out on some money or do they let them go on pst 4 years with silly low miles ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
dealers seem happy to leave them be after an inspection

So maybe that's the key - check it over, if it's cracking, get it changed.

I think that it'll degrade the same amount over time, regardless of mileage (within reason)

Aimez

I was told on cars only a few years old it's hard to tell if one has been changed after a week they look the same surely if it was as simple as checking it we would all do that? Or am I wrong here most people I spoke to about mine said get it done for peace of mind and for service records even thou on low mileage.

My car is 5 years old this year on 38k just had mine done and service (not much done as low mileage too) but still expensive job

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think you can check the belt and see if it has any cracks,frayed edges,oil contamination or missing teeth. This is not a guarantee that the belt is fine though.

I do agree that a new belt looks shiny and will look mat and dull after a week, this is because the tensioner running on the flat side of the belt.

I was after input from other people that have low mileage and not changed the belt even though the 4 years was up.

Aimes is the first person to confess to changing the belt late although the mileage was only half of the target.

Anyone else?

Also, is the 20vt engine 100% going to have valve damage when the cam belt fails ? Remember the 2.0 pinto engine and the 2.0 130 8v vauxhall engine.

Last edited:

MTIbiza

www.streetmodified.co.uk
Jul 16, 2007
Crawley
I've had mine changed recently.

50k miles on an 04 plate - should probably have been done last year....

The garage said that it was best to have it done as they can just go even when they look in good condition.....

Changed it for peace of mind and for the service history.

Clark10

Apr 13, 2005
Belfast
I'd get it changed just for the service history, it's always reassuring to any buyer when you go to sell that everything was done on time.

aaronbromley

TDISport.com Owner
Nov 25, 2004
Lincolnshire
www.TDISport.com
If it were me i think i would get it changed, i would rather spend the money on getting it replaced rather than spending it on repairs (incase something did go wrong). 17k in 4 years, wow, thats impressive!

whitesd

I have exactly the same issue - I have just bought an 03tdi sport which only has 12K on the clock :)
I asked the same question and the common thread was to change it (better safe than sorry).
Personally I will leave it till next service (at 20K ish) and I may have it changed then for piece of mind, at which time it will be around 6 - 6.5 years old.

Aimez

well I can't remember what month my car was built so do not know when it was due so just got it done with my annual service. The garage were talking me out of it cos they said it used to be 80k and they shortened it only a few years ago. IF i had my old job (ie I drove alot further to work) I would have got it done alot sooner. Don't think there are many petrol/derv heads on here with low mileage with cars of our ages?!

silver surfer

Mar 31, 2006
out there over the edge vw tech
did my wife ibiza as soon as i bought it was 5 years old and 50k and I'm glad i did as belt was badly cracking on back and when flexed it was just starting to lift at the edge of the teeth and both 20v and diesels will bend valves and smash followers as I've seen it all to often belts are cheaper than engine damage by a long way

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I got mine done in December. Only 26k miles, but 4 years had taken it's toll on the belt. Shame you can't see the condition of the waterpump which is the other common failure.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I need mine doing soon as my 54' plate cupra is over due (only 36K).

We had the gf's mk4 1.4 golf (52' plate and ~52k) done just before christmas and the belt that was removed was as new..

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Cam belt change also includes the tensioner and idler pulley...if one of them fails, it's the same result :( I got an aftermarket waterpump too, with metal impeller (instead of dodgy plastic one)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.