Aux socket in Lean FR 170bhp

jigme

Hi Guys,

After a bit of advice. I have a standard stereo with the aux socket near the handbrake. When I plug my Ipod in it's really poor quality with a lot of hissing in the background, is this normal or do I need to get this fixed.

Any adivce would be great

Thanks

Jigme

Fordy_FR

Oct 19, 2006
Gateshead
Do you have any kind of protective case on your iPod? This happened on my Ibiza and it was because the jack wasn't quite pushed in far enough.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
bad cable prehaps?
AUX input is damage and needs to be replaced
other than can't think of anything else other than speakes not very likely though
---
sounds like the middle one to me I do not have an issue with mine as i do the same with my iphone but on another subject I will upgrade so i can have a dock hate driving and changing the track at the same time not good :(

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
Heres my 2P worth:D

I have an iPod Nano, and bought a real good quality, thick, oxygen-free 2metre cable with gold end plugs - and the reproduction is spot-on.

Maybe the cable?:confused:

Just trying to help!!

Regards,

Ian

jigme

Cheers guys

Got a pretty good Aux cable that goes into the headphone socket on my Ipod. Do you think it could be that?

Have seen a few that will connect to the bottom of the Ipod connection, would this make a difference?

Tim Sims

Full time LEGend
May 9, 2004
where can you get the aux cabales from? and how much people... didnt even realise I could play my ipod throuhg the aux...

gutted Ive had the car a year hahah

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
where can you get the aux cabales from? and how much people... didnt even realise I could play my ipod throuhg the aux...

gutted Ive had the car a year hahah

Hi Tim,

This cable I've got was off eBay from a supplier called 'Cheapcables" and it seems to be sound............pardon the pun:D

Don't let the name put you off, it was a really good high quality type cable for around five to six pounds.

Just search "3.5mm Aux-in cables"and a few will come up, or you can get a nasty one from Halfrauds for around six quid!!

Hope this helps!!

Ian

Last edited:

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
The AUX socket is probably wired with unscreened, non facny cable. Probably the same standard stuff that goes to lights and switches.

I think the cable is also in the same loom as the cigarete lighter as i sometimes hear more noise when something like a phone charger or satnav is plugged in. The power supply for these will be making electrical noise.

I dont use the Aux In (but my fiance does) as i prefer making up MP3 CD's cos then you can use the wheel controls.

Turn the volume up on on the MP3 player to minimise the effect of electrical noise being picked up. But not so high as the input is saturated making the audio distorted. That helps when mines gets used.

Some people are more sensitive to hiss etc than others. I know thoes who think AM is virtually the same as FM!!! (they are all in their 60s tho....)

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Try pulling the cable out a bit or push it in further at the end near the aux plug.that works on mine.sometimes its a bit hissy untill i do this.failing that try it at the player end.if no joy buy a better quality lead and try that or better still borrow one of a mate that works properly.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I get some hiss when my phone/mp3 is connected, make sure the ipod volume is up and the car volume is down. Not the other way round as mine hisses bad that way. Worth a try??:shrug:

jigme

Thanks for the advice guys. Went back to my seat dealer today and tried my cable on another FR. Was the same hissing, so maybe the cable.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Thats rings a bell with me, i was pushing buttons one day and found the aux in gain was up at 5.

The hiss disappeared as i turned this down to 0 with a lead and player plugged in but not playing anything. Sound was much clearer.

As most people will be plugging into a headphone output which is a low impedance source. i would have thought that the Aux in on the amp will be a standard high impedance input so no additional gain in the audio settings should be required.

I wonder if by default this is set to maximum, or if sales people set everything to maximum as they think it improved things with the "bigger = better" attitude.

I would go about it like this:
  • Set the Aux in to 0
  • Set the radio to a volume which your happy with on, say, the CD, eg. 8
  • Play your mp3 player and adjust the volume on the player until its similar in loudness to the CD or radio but without distortion.

You will find there is more noise when no player is connected as the player will act to pull the signal lines to ground when its connected as part of its internal amplifier.

Stuart

olip74

Sep 24, 2009
Edinburgh
Not sure if it's worth bumping a 10 month old thread but I had a similar issue and found a solution - my setup seems slightly different from what I have read elsewhere on the forum (2010 build Leon S Emocion) as the aux-vol seems to be in a different location.

The sound from my GF's ipod via the aux jack was terrible, the sound was thin and there was a tinny ringing sound that you could hear from the tweeters during quiet music. My phone did the same thing so I assumed it was the cable. I replaced the cable but the problem was still there so this pointed to the stereo.

When I examined the stereo I found that, pressing the menu button, there was an option (from memory) something like Vol-Aux. When this is selected there are three settings - I, II, III. Mine was on I, when I turned it to III the input came through much louder and without the annoying ringing (at least not audible any more). Hope this helps someone out, it's the same solution as before but, like I said, the menu options were slightly different for me.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Not sure if it's worth bumping a 10 month old thread but I had a similar issue and found a solution - my setup seems slightly different from what I have read elsewhere on the forum (2010 build Leon S Emocion) as the aux-vol seems to be in a different location.

The sound from my GF's ipod via the aux jack was terrible, the sound was thin and there was a tinny ringing sound that you could hear from the tweeters during quiet music. My phone did the same thing so I assumed it was the cable. I replaced the cable but the problem was still there so this pointed to the stereo.

When I examined the stereo I found that, pressing the menu button, there was an option (from memory) something like Vol-Aux. When this is selected there are three settings - I, II, III. Mine was on I, when I turned it to III the input came through much louder and without the annoying ringing (at least not audible any more). Hope this helps someone out, it's the same solution as before but, like I said, the menu options were slightly different for me.

Using the bottom conector with a Logic 3 or Belkin kit will yield much better results and no hiss than the boosted signal through the 3.5 jack. The belkin plugs into a 12v socket to charge the iPod at the same time as well as a small amp to boost the rather weak direct signal out of the bottom of the iPod. Used the belkin in all 3 of my 1 Series with great results.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.