fibreglass a pillers

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
right i want to mount some tweeters into my A pillers for better vocal responce. i have had an idea to cut out a hole in the A pillers big enough for the tweerer, then fibreglassing it to make it smooth.

i have no idea how to fibreglass and do it all myself, does anyone know where i can get the fibreglass so i can learn???

if your gonna tell me to get some one who knows how to do it then dont reply i want to do it myself

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Pretty sure Halfords sell a fibreglass kit, either that or eBay?

I know almost nothing about audio, but why can't you use the upper speaker holes in the dash?

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
i have done but if you have tweeters near your head you get a much better sound its alot thicker and better to listen to.

and thanks will check it out tomorrow, u know what sort of fibreglass, or is there just the one type???

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
is there room in the pillar?
are you on about cutting into the metal or trim?
if it's the metal isn't it structural?

sorry, i know you've got 3 Q's back:)

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Should just be one type at Halfords i would think.

old 'uns - yes, the metal a-pillar is structural - in a big way! I assume he's talking about the plastic trim cover!

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
yeah there is room in the pillar but only in the trim, not the actual strut, should have mentioned this lol

there wont be room in the trim for it to be flush like but i dont care bout tht lol

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
this is what I did in my last car

Dsc00976.jpg

pete-marshall

i looked into this actually a couple of months back, found there wasn't really enough room where gtv's pic shows and i thought if i mounted on the a pillar it'd look messy, so i got some component front speakers with directional tweeters and mounted only the tweeters in the existing dash holes. works a treat! and you cant even see em!

Have you not looked in to purchasing a-pillar mounts for gauges and modifying them to fit a tweeter?

Or is that not what your thinking?

RGM do plastic screw in ones and nomad(?) do full replacement pillars which do cost alot more.

I have my tweeters mounted in the dash where the standard speakers used to live. Plenty of room for wires in there :)

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
i no that there were tweeters there, replaced those with some mid-high range 4" speakers, but now i want something to give really good high freq responce, and in the A pillars is the best place for them, give a good surround sound, even though its only in stereo (the music that is).

and no i did not think to put them in the gauge housing, wont that be a bit to big for some 25mm tweeters to fit? lol

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
get the tweeter holder, with a glue gun, glue it to the A pillar where you want it. secure the holder with lollipop sticks or something, then get a rag/Tshirt and stretch it over the whole lot so you get a smooth curve to the tweeter, cover it in fibreglass resin, then use filler to smooth the lot out and cover in material, or paint...

in a nut shell thats it, just depends on how hands on you are as to whether it goes as smooth as that

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
thats what im doing, only with some tights if thy work. but thanks didnt no u needed filler, any sort of filler at all? got some body filler will that do??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members