Steamy windows, wet floor and rear wiper not working.

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Help needed car in bits Lol

Right I am trying to sort my leaking leon at the moment and have the carpet up and the underlay ripped out and drying in the house as I type this.
The leak is not coming in from the doors and dont think its coming in from under the scuttle panel either, I have lifted this and been using the hose to see if I can see that water but nothing.

I have found a hole in drivers footwell that is plugged with a sponge thats in a plastic bag. I have taken the bag out the hole and its burst and the sponge is soaking and is actually frozen at the bottom, I have taken a pic of said area and just wondering if anyone can explain if water goes down that area and if so where from, dont inderstand why its soaking.

Should I dry out the sponge and then put it in a sealed freezer bag and just put it back in the hole and hope for the best??

Help :)

Image345.jpg

Last edited:

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Sounds to me like this is the common case of door seal failure mate, if you do a quick search on this you should get all the answers you need to rectify this problem quickly!!! Basically involves taking off the door cards and re-sealing with silicone.

Jimski

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Thanks yeah I have saw the guide and removed the drivers door but there is no signs of a leaky seal, all looks ok. I think It may be this area just to the right of the accelerator pedal, just inside the door.

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
where the bonnet cable goes through, I presume there is some sort of grommet or something there :shrug:

soz you may of already responded to that suggestion, didn't notice page 1

I sprayed water all over the cable to see if it would leak but didn't seem to, think I will put silicone over it anyway just incase might aswell if scuttle panel is off ;)

I am trying to work out if water runs down the area that I have taken the picture of, only thing I can reall think of. :(

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
I have found where the water is coming from, help me stop it..

I have finally found where the leak is, or where the water is coming from before getting to the drivers footwell.
I had went out today and lifted the carpet so I could try get out some of the water, I have removed the plastic cover that sits to the right of the accelerator pedal. If you look at the picture attached the red line I have drawn shows where I could see the water, rolling down and then dripping.

I am wanting to know where it is coming from, I was thinking that maybe the windscreen was leaking and getting in there but if anyone has any ideas then please let me know, so I can get it fixed, maybe i need to get the windscreen re-fitted.

Image345-1.jpg

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
same as mine was, check bulkhead under wiperpanel, mine had a unsealed hole!could not see it till i ran a airline over it then it is clear to see,check my previous post for a photo:D

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
same as mine was, check bulkhead under wiperpanel, mine had a unsealed hole!could not see it till i ran a airline over it then it is clear to see,check my previous post for a photo:D

Saw your pic and will have to have a look. If you see the pic I have posted I am wonderign what water runs down the inside of the hole, as I clogged it with paper towel over nite and it was only wet on the inside of the hole. This is usuall plugged with a sponge that is in a plastic bag, but that would just allow the watter to run over the bag and out the hole.

Anyone any ideas if water is supposed to run down there and from where?

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
the bulkhead is double skinned where the bonnet cable comes through, this allows water to go between the 2 skins and it dripps out in various places around the plate inside. mine came from above the pedals and down where yours runs,:D

skoolz

Thanks for this info but any chance this rear cable would be in the same position for an Altea 07 plate?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.