drilling holes in airbox???????????

Nick2008

Onvi tdi-cupra r wannabe!
Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
Took me airbox off today (will a little help from the old man!) And have replaced it with a shitty max power induction kit that i bought off my mate for a fiver!

Photo-0012.jpg

Airbox.jpg

I have been wanting to drill holes in the airbox for ages, have no idea how to go about it and am scared of messing it up, have spoke to my dad and he has a 12mm drill piece which I think would be large enough for the holes, do you have to take anything out of the airbox? where abouts on the airbox do you drill the holes and how many? :confused: I no theres a thread on here which relates to this but cant find it, but if i remember its very confusing to follow!! :cry:

Last edited:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
drill holes on the front and the side which is in the bottom picture BELOW the airfilter itself... just open it up with the clips, and drill as above.

the aim is to drill holes on the PRE FILTERED side of the air box and not on the side of the engine

EDIT: and just go hole crazy with the drilling

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
panel filter is the rectangular air filter.

By 'new free flowing', they're probably referring to an uprated item such as those you can buy from the likes of K&N.

Nick2008

Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
oh i see, hmm this is more complicated than I imagined it would be, thought it was just a case of take airbox off, drill holes in it, replace, job done! Do you really need that part?

Nick2008

Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
Folllowed the instructions closely and drilled the exact amount of holes as whats written in the thread, fitted it back on my car today and it has not made the slightest bit of difference, it just sounds exactly the same as berfore :cry:, i dont understand why, the only thing that I can think of is I accidently broke a bit (about 5cm) out of the bottom of the air box when taking out the 'conical tube', feel bit gutted really :confused:

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
wont really give u much of a noise unless its right near the throttle body, and i dont think performance wise it will be noticable, will make engine run better for longer though...will get noticed in the long run

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
most people make theirs from ducting from B&Q, or you can get the proper stuff from performance shops/websites (for example http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=134BNH25&a=i as you can see its well pricey, so B&Q stuff is much cheaper)

it basically is that ducting that goes from around the bumper (you see the lower splitter on yours, well they go there), its secured in place, then the other end of the ducting is secured by the drilled holes, hence the name "cold air feed" to give the air holes cold air to suck in, not air that is warmed by the engine!

Last edited:

Nick2008

Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
most people make theirs from ducting from B&Q, or you can get the proper stuff from performance shops/websites (for example http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=134BNH25&a=i as you can see its well pricey, so B&Q stuff is much cheaper)

it basically is that ducting that goes from around the bumper (you see the lower splitter on yours, well the gay there), its secured in place, then the other end of the ducting is secured by the drilled holes, hence the name "cold air feed" to give the air holes cold air to suck in, not air that is warmed by the engine!

Cheers matey, is there a thread on here with instructions on how to do this?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.