LCR handling

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
okay so engine/power wise i think i'm sorted....for now anyway.

im goin nurburgring in may and at the mo the car is standard in the handling department so im thinkin i need to do summat before i go.

i dont want to pay loads so not think bout coilovers or anything yet but ive read a lot about ARBs and bushes. as much as ive read im still not sure whats what in this area.

1. LCR already has front ARBs correct? these need upgrading?

2. are there different bushes for different mounts? which ones are best to upgrade or is it the ARB bushes which need upgrading?

3. ive read about s3 strut braces too. is this what goes over the engine to strengthen the front of the car? ive read about rear strut braces too.

in short what needs upgrading and where does it go? i use the car everyday so i want it to be firm and sharp but not harsh. not liking the sound of vibrations either. i also get wheel hop from time to time with quick starts so will these mods help this?

thanks for your help.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
hey mate,

the LCR has a front bar but its really small (19mm) i think. most people go for the 25mm front and 28mm for the rear (set to middle setting)

for handling mods you will notice a major difference from these things

1...rear spacers (15 or 20mm)
2...front and rear strut brace (i have the number for the guy who does the custom rear brace PM me)
3...engine mounts (INA engineering, they are on this site. £220 for the engine, transmission and dogbone mounts)
4....ARBS as above

edit ...get some decent tyres too

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
ARBs will be on the shopping list at some point but cant afford £400 before may with other things to pay for too.

is there anything cheaper that should be on my shopping list?

spacers or bushes?

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Spacers look like this, these are Forge 16mm with a stud conversion from Badger5!

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=190202&product=FMWS16
Read this for stud info http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201685

18032009098.jpg

Go on Brett beat this!!! LOL

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well from experience I can strongly recommend the following handling mods.
These are not cheap but WILL make a huge difference to your handling.

The OEM LCR has a 18-19mm front ARB, change this to the MK4 Golf R32 23mm front ARB. This is £100 all in for all the bits you need. Make sure you get the 23mm one as there is a 21mm one. Also make sure you get new clamps, bolts and bushes.

An S3 strutt brace £56 is the next thing to add. This bolts onto your turrets to reduce front end flex. there aren't holes for this so these will need to be drilled.

The wishbone bushes are rubber with spaces between these so are quite soft. The Audi TT roadster has the stiffest bushes, £30 for two, replace your rear LCR ones with these and the front ones with the OEM LCR ones £15 each, get new bolts for these aswell.

The engine rocking about causes wheel hop and general handling probelms. Get an INA dtrack densisty Dog Bone mount, this will eliminate this with zero vibrations £99

The rear really just needs a Neuspeed 28mm adjustable ARB £200, this with the above mods set to its hardest point will fit in perfectly without the front or the rear feeling too stiff.

Once this is all fitted with 4 wheel alignment done you will be well impressed with the huge difference without anything feeling OTT or front back inbalances.

With good tyres and brake pads this will allow you to fully enjoy your car without compromising daily driving comfort or having to fit cheap ass coilovers. This also won't change your ride height.

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
i like the sound of going for:

front r32 ARBs.
s3 strut brace
TT rear wishbone bushes - why go for standard front ones and not upgrade these?

Get an INA dtrack densisty Dog Bone mount, this will eliminate this with zero vibrations £99.
INA track densisty Dog Bone mount - is this different to dtrack density? this is £20

ive heard of a lower s3 strut brace too. i think this mite be for the rear is that worth doing too?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
i like the sound of going for:

front r32 ARBs.
s3 strut brace
TT rear wishbone bushes - why go for standard front ones and not upgrade these?

INA track densisty Dog Bone mount - is this different to dtrack density? this is £20

ive heard of a lower s3 strut brace too. i think this mite be for the rear is that worth doing too?
your car has the lower strutt brace as standard.
the track density INA ones 100% you will not get any vibrations with, the forge ones are a lottery that I wouldn't bet on.

I went for the standard fron bushes as these are very stiff with mostly metal and very little rubber.
You will need to upgrade the rear if you go for
front r32 ARBs.
s3 strut brace
TT rear wishbone bushes
As there will be a big imbalance and your car will be very tail happy.

rickyjones1209

BIG BOY
Jan 8, 2009
Crewe, Cheshire
front r32 ARBs - £100
s3 strut brace - £56
TT rear wishbone bushes and new standard front ones £60
INA track densisty Dog Bone mount - £20

is this a fairly good start?

what about these spacers? do they give the car a wider stance to improve handling? how much are they and where do i get them from?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Ricky,

The INA track density dog bone mount is £99 + postage and import tax/handling charge (USA)

Spacers I haven't had experience of so can't comment. For spacers see posts on spacers in this section

You will have a very tail happy car if you don't fit the Rear ARB.

Factor in £60 4 wheel alignment with these mods above aswell

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.