advice on LCR

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
I bought my first car when I was 20 I passed my test when I was 19, I saved up from June to February to buy myself a Leon 1.6 SE which is my current car. It cost me £3,995 and insurance was £1200.

What was said to me was...'Buy a banger, build your NCB up and save for a better car'
I can see the plus side to that because the savings for an LCR would be much better now than they currently are.
Having considered that though, I wouldnt've changed what I done for the world.
It was the car I wanted, it stamped home to me the value of money and i think was a brilliant experience that i think so many people my age haven't experienced.

My advice would be to go with what you and only you want to do.

whereas i did buy an old banger (i passed at 17) so i drove that around for 2 years,saving my money, then i went and bought the car i loved...

people approach different things in differnet ways,whatever floats your boat :)

lol, well i have two cars ones just an old corolla which i use as a run about and because im policy holder on that i can drive any other car, only third party tho so a bit risky i know lol but its all legal

lol i do the same thing :cartman:

J0N

Defected!
lol, well i have two cars ones just an old corolla which i use as a run about and because im policy holder on that i can drive any other car, only third party tho so a bit risky i know lol but its all legal

(Thread hi-jack alert, sorry). Can't fault you and it's a good way to build up your NCB but don't forget that you're only insured for other cars that have their own policy on them. Also a lot of insurance companies only offer this if you're fully comp and over a certain age. I have comprehensive insurance but I'm not covered to drive my wife's A3 and vise-versa because they're both registered at the same address so we had to be 'named drivers' on each other's policies and nobody under the age of 25 is allowed to drive my car without first informing the insurance. Of course, all insurance companies are different but read the small print. Please don't get me wrong and I'm sure you're ok but these companies will do anything to not pay out and it's six points for no insurance which in some cases is a ban.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
whereas i did buy an old banger (i passed at 17) so i drove that around for 2 years,saving my money, then i went and bought the car i loved...

people approach different things in differnet ways,whatever floats your boat :)

lol i do the same thing :cartman:

I was to proud and snobby to be seen in anything else! :p

lukin dappa

Jun 19, 2008
normal cupras look crap???

thats a slight insult to probably 60% of members...

post facelift imo look more subtle than the r, tuned to 225 is hardly crap...

wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind pal.

less insurance, less to buy, superbly moddable... great cars, equal to a standard r with the right mods...

crasp isnt a word to use for any cupra.:shrug:

Also i beleive that if you want to see big performance hike over 300 bhp there probably isnt a great difference in the price from either car?

I may be wrong just remember some1 on here with a cupra running 300+bhp and 300+torque and he speaks so highly of his car and the looks of it and as i said in the previous post imo faclift kit is the best looking.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
It might be an idea to go for a car with 60K or just over that, as the cambelt change is due at 60K and thats a £300 pound job or there abouts.
I got mine at 62K. :D

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
(Thread hi-jack alert, sorry). Can't fault you and it's a good way to build up your NCB but don't forget that you're only insured for other cars that have their own policy on them. Also a lot of insurance companies only offer this if you're fully comp and over a certain age. I have comprehensive insurance but I'm not covered to drive my wife's A3 and vise-versa because they're both registered at the same address so we had to be 'named drivers' on each other's policies and nobody under the age of 25 is allowed to drive my car without first informing the insurance. Of course, all insurance companies are different but read the small print. Please don't get me wrong and I'm sure you're ok but these companies will do anything to not pay out and it's six points for no insurance which in some cases is a ban.

Good advice... also you're not normally covered to drive other cars you own yourself IIRC

I bought my R when I'd turned 19, and payed 8K for a completely standard example with 29k on the clock with FSSH. My insurance was £2200 with 1 years ncb, I've just turned 20 and insurance has gone down to £1350 with admiral which I can live with for such a superb car. Save for the right Cupra R mate, you 100% won't regret it when you finally get it!

Jay..

sorry for late reply insurance is 2,000 for the leon cupra R,
im after a 225 one but when i have been looking some had cupra on the back and a few had leon....

why do some leons have leon on the back and some have cupra on the back ?\

theres one on autotrader at the moment, its 2004 plate with 58k on the clock FSH and looks a nice example and its $5100

cheers for that FLK good useful info there matey :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mark_eas

sorry for late reply insurance is 2,000 for the leon cupra R,
im after a 225 one but when i have been looking some had cupra on the back and a few had leon....

why do some leons have leon on the back and some have cupra on the back ?\

theres one on autotrader at the moment, its 2004 plate with 58k on the clock FSH and looks a nice example and its $5100

cheers for that FLK good useful info there matey :)

cupra r 225 has r badge
cupra r 210 has r badge
cupra 180 has leon 1.8 20vt badge

correct me if im wrong

ps the grey on on autotrader is gone,

mark_eas

LOL of course checking the v5 is a better way of disginusing what car Is what but when looking at autotrader it's a little hard ;-) my point was that's the very basic princeible of what your looking at and possibley telling the differnce between them! Correct me if I'm wrong

Jay..

yerrr i know that.

what i meant is how come some cupras have leon on the back and some have cupra ?

im after a 225 so what shud technically be on the back of it ?

leon or cupra ?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
yerrr i know that.

what i meant is how come some cupras have leon on the back and some have cupra ?

im after a 225 so what shud technically be on the back of it ?

leon or cupra ?

If it is as badged from the factory you should see L E O N in silver letters across the boot, 'cupra' and 'R' in the bottom right and I think 'Seat' in the bottom left corner (though I'm not sure on that one, can't remember what my own boot looks like :)).

The 'cupra' badge may be red or black but for a 225 most likely red.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Here's my standard 210 boot, so no 'Seat' badge.

leon5-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jay..

If it is as badged from the factory you should see L E O N in silver letters across the boot, 'cupra' and 'R' in the bottom right and I think 'Seat' in the bottom left corner (though I'm not sure on that one, can't remember what my own boot looks like :)).

The 'cupra' badge may be red or black but for a 225 most likely red.

ahh cheers mate, just confused me why some had leon and some had cupra and want to make sure im looking at the right model lol ;)

whats the difference between the 210 and the 225 then ? apart from 15 bhp

Last edited by a moderator: