Crash Bang Wallop - FR TDI Suspension!

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Thats a fair comment...but I would add that for there to be any value in that statement they would need to provide more information such as volume of complaints 'vs' total sales, time frame of complaints/claims, nature of failure etc etc.

There can always be problems with anything, and one person or company can have a certain opinion based on their own or another isolated (or not) experience, and I think that generally people (myself included) have spoken loudest when you have a complaint, not often the reverse.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
I have Koni FSD's and Eibach springs on my mk1 cupra and got to say that im very impressed with them. Ride is harder than standard but still very comfortable and the difference in handling is massive! After driving around in the missus mk2 FR TDI for a few days i hated the suspension in an otherwise great car so im looking to change the setup on hers aswell as putting a new set of wheels on it (want 19's but think il end up getting 18's as the 19's will only make the ride harsher still!).
Very surprised that there isnt a good tried and tested suspension setup available yet as from this forum alone there are a lot of owners disappointed with the crashy ride!
Would be interested to find out if anyone has bought a decently priced set of coilovers on here and what they think of the ride after.
PS Im presuming that the cupra has a much better ride on the same shocks due to the engine being a fair bit lighter and so less crashy on the front end than the heavy old diesel!

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
I read somehere that FSD's are on the options list in the Netherlands at Seat dealers.
I also noticed that all the better options are more expensive and ones that AMD can supply.

I have also heard and read from reputable sources that coilovers are overkill on a road going car, and harder to set up properly. You are also in the realms of setting up unsprung weight in each corner with those and need corner scales with a good dose of knowledge.

See this link http://ezinearticles.com/?Coilover-Suspensions---Pros-and-Cons&id=12461

Last edited:

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
Maybe a stupid question but does changing the suspension invalidate the warranty?

Does it matter if it's done by an indy garage or dealership?

Is there a hard a fast rule for what does and doesn't invalidate the warranty?

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Maybe a stupid question but does changing the suspension invalidate the warranty?

Does it matter if it's done by an indy garage or dealership?

Is there a hard a fast rule for what does and doesn't invalidate the warranty?

Im prepared to go through suspension bushes and droplinks quicker than normal, and warranty wont pay for that. Nothing else will be invalidated tho. As per the many other warranty discussions on the forum, a lot is down to the attitude of individual dealers.
No hard and fast rule but generally modifications only invalidate the warranty on parts they directly affect. However some garages wont even touch a heavily modified car.

Im prepared to go through suspension bushes and droplinks quicker than normal, and warranty wont pay for that. Nothing else will be invalidated tho. As per the many other warranty discussions on the forum, a lot is down to the attitude of individual dealers

Hey David, Just checked Seat.nl. they do sell Koni FSD's as an accessory!

Altea: http://www.seat.nl/home/modellen/altea/accessoires/seat_sport/0,16338,15174_D0Lnl,00.html

Leon: http://www.seat.nl/home/modellen/leon/accessoires/seat_sport/0,16357,15174_D0Lnl,00.html

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Although it's not a Leon FR, I drive a Golf with Koni FSDs on otherwise standard suspension. The FSDs do give the car a 'lighter on its feet' feeling but they don't wave a magic wand. I reckon the problem with the FR TDI is the springs are very firm. I have been in a Leon FR TDI for a reasonable enough amount of time to notice the rock hard ride but have also owned a mk5 Golf GT TDI which had a very comfortable ride (yet still pretty decent handling).
I've messed about with a lot of VWs and SEATs over the years and the ones with the best handling vs ride balance have always had firmer dampers with softish springs. The FR is the other way round. I wonder whether Golf springs would fit the Leon properly as the Golf rides much better (yet the A3 Sport suspension is quite hard riding too so may share the Leon's springs).
Other than that it sounds like Cupra springs would be the thing to look out for IMO.

Just some info really. There are 33 different front springs listed for the Leon MK2 on Ekta (2008 model). all will have identifying coloured patches on the spring identify a it. VIN numbers to a seat dealer can also identify the ones you should have fitted.

Last edited:
David, Just read online that the new facelift Leon FR TDI will have better suspension:

The original car did come in for criticism for having a somewhat uncompromising set-up though and SEAT has responded by dialling back springs and dampers across the facelifted Leon range. The FR runs 7mm lower than the rest and the front springs and anti-roll bars have been softened by 20% and 15% respectively - significant margins, no mistake

more info here:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=15777812

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
David, Just read online that the new facelift Leon FR TDI will have better suspension:

more info here:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=15777812

It'll be interesting to see how much difference this makes.

I do think its a tradeoff though. I had a stylance as a courtesy car and didn't like the feel of the softer setup, too much body roll in the corners. My past 2 cars have had hard setups though, Leon FR and Alfa 147.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Tyre pressures are not the answer- if you soften them enough to affect the ride you will be at risk of bad wear or even overheating and carcass damage.
Eibach srings on their own do improve the ride since they are simply a little more compliant in feel.
I was interested to read about the option of Koni FSD shocks in Netherlands. I have these and they do definitely improve the ride- they are not adjustable but simply a well engineered o/e replacement which give a definitely better and smoother ride. I have also recently fitted Eagle gsd3s which seem a little less stiff than the o/e Bridgestones.
I have no knowledge of and would not expect poor quality from Koni.
The Fr with Konis and Eibachs is a much nicer place to be on our pock-marked roads. Since the new tyres have only just begun to settle I cannot finally say to what extent the very sharp and precise Fr steering may have been dulled- I don't think I can rule it out but if there is a trade-off between new Tarmac trackability and every day comfort I am sure the standard set up is over biased to the expense of everyday driveability. I will be crossing spain in July and suspect that like Portugal which I have driven a bit their roads are far better finished than ours- which would explain the set up which is great on new tarmac but poor in the UK.

Last edited:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
All very good comments. For the time being I would rather stay lowered and have a reasonable ride quality - I dont want to ruin the looks by raising the car again. Time to start saving for Konis . . . . . . .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.