Leon Cupra 180 or Celica 190 bhp ???

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Sorry guys just doesn't add up as the Leons score on Torque but that's about it. Sure the Celica's power is way up the rev range but for both of you to beat one easily given the figures below suggest unlikely :whistle:

CUPRA

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP 180.0
Torque (lbs feet) 173.0
RPM to which the Torque refers 3475
Maximum Speed 142
Acceleration (0-60) 7.7
Unladen weight 1322

Celica 190

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP 189.0
Torque (lbs feet) 132.8
RPM to which the Torque refers 6800
Maximum Speed 140
Acceleration (0-60) 7.4
Unladen weight 1215

Sorry don't know figures for TDI or meaning of pwnd?

pwnd = owned, I believe it was a famous ****-up on a 1st person shooter game or something, and was a typo in the code by one of the delvelopers (I think!!)

Having driven both cars the Celica has to be pushed a LOT more, and unless you are really gunning the engine it is hard to keep the rev's in the "power band" during gear change, so you get a type of turbo lag, which inevitably slows you down!!

The LC will pull easily from lower in the rev range, and will therefore pull away more than the celica, end of the day the celica only has it's max power for ~ 1500-2000 rev's, which has to be a factor in a straight line drag.

I'd have the LC everyday of the week...speed, comfort, mod-ability, build quality etc etc the list could go on.

I do agree on paper it shouldn't work, but it's all in the driving at the end of the day!!!

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
my dad owned the 140 version and in a straight line there was no contest i would accelerate away quite easily. I reckon the 190 version would be a fair contest in a straight line. But if you mapped the LC then it would be away again.

A standard LC against the Celica in the twisties and the celica had it by a mile.

I personally dont like the look of the celica inside or out

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i love revving the nuts of high reving engines! until i can afford to insure a high revving jap i'll be sticking to a tdi.

anyway back to topic...

GT4 celica?

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a STANDARD Celica 190 driven by a COMPETENT driver is a good match for a STANDARD LC driven by a COMPETENT driver and for a LC to beat one easily as suggested means either the guy wasn't trying or he wasn't a competent driver. :headhurt:

Believe me I'm not a lover of VTEC engines hence why I drive a V5 :p
But I have driven lots of reasonably fast cars in my time and from experience the CTR and Celica 190 VTEC's, when kept in the power band with quick gear changes are rapid.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a STANDARD Celica 190 driven by a COMPETENT driver is a good match for a STANDARD LC driven by a COMPETENT driver and for a LC to beat one easily as suggested means either the guy wasn't trying or he wasn't a competent driver. :headhurt:

Believe me I'm not a lover of VTEC engines hence why I drive a V5 :p
But I have driven lots of reasonably fast cars in my time and from experience the CTR and Celica 190 VTEC's, when kept in the power band with quick gear changes are rapid.

you calling my friend incompetent.?

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
It comes down to the driver and how far they are willing to push. Occasionly I get sucked into a "race" or traffic light grand prix but when the speeds are dangerous or if I sense the other driver wants to demonstrate their own or their car's ability at any cost I just leave them to it. The point of this is that someone in a 1.6 or 1.8 Astra could quite easily "beat" me in the Cupra because I don't want to part of an accident or be prosecuted for speeding or dangerous driving.

:runaway:

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself, am I a hair dresser and do I want to be known to own a hair dressers car? My mate had a 190 celica at work and got the #*!@ ripped out of him for it. The leon is the one to stay with for now.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
It comes down to the driver and how far they are willing to push. Occasionly I get sucked into a "race" or traffic light grand prix but when the speeds are dangerous or if I sense the other driver wants to demonstrate their own or their car's ability at any cost I just leave them to it. The point of this is that someone in a 1.6 or 1.8 Astra could quite easily "beat" me in the Cupra because I don't want to part of an accident or be prosecuted for speeding or dangerous driving.

Agree 100% spot on mate.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself, am I a hair dresser and do I want to be known to own a hair dressers car? My mate had a 190 celica at work and got the #*!@ ripped out of him for it. The leon is the one to stay with for now.

dont really see too many girls driving them tbh, i know it wasnt what i jumped to.

:/

id rather the supra tbh, a NA one is doable on your budget.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee

end of the day this is why me and my mates jogged off to the ring, its a good place where we can proper gun it and see what we can do :)

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site

leon.jpg
[/IMG]

OR

celicagt.jpg
[/IMG]

Now which would I pick. hmmmm........

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
lol My cupra is the prefacelift like the one above , you can see why i wanna change ! But i think if you swapped that cupra with a LCR then the decision might be a bit tougher .

Agreed but your original question was "Leon Cupra 180 or Celica 190 bhp ???"
and that is what i have shown above unless there is a LCR 180? I thought they
were 225 or is that the later ones?

rosscopecotrain

Aug 5, 2008
Chepstow
Agreed but your original question was "Leon Cupra 180 or Celica 190 bhp ???"
and that is what i have shown above unless there is a LCR 180? I thought they
were 225 or is that the later ones?

good point , I stand corrected ! I guess i've been thinking about lcr's to much since this thread started that the celica might have gone out the window now !

rosscopecotrain

Aug 5, 2008
Chepstow
LOL, so you're not going to test drive one anymore?

The one i was gonna go and see this weekend sold yesterday but i might have a drive round some garages and see if i can find one to test drive , even if i can find the 140 bhp model it will give me a fair idea .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.