m0rk's 2003 Renault Sport Clio Cup 172 WN52 PCU

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think my parents are quite shocked now... I've only ever really driven them to the airport etc, and mostly in their cars... but today I've taken them for a proper little drive (day off) - I don't think they've ever been in a car like that before!

it is funny letting 50 somethings drive a hot hatch though (when they're used to not driving cars like that) - I was shouting at mum "use full throttle", and she replied "I am!"... but the clue was we'd stopped accelerating :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
nice car mate, i have always had a soft spot for clio sports (172's/172 cups/bust mostly the 182's) i was tempted to get one, but my budget wasn't that high at the time!

people say it lacks torque? is this correct? (i always say it doesn't need too much as it only weighs 1000kg!)
maybe my next car ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
people say it lacks torque? is this correct? (i always say it doesn't need too much as it only weighs 1000kg!)
maybe my next car ;)

145lbft of torque, and pulls nicely in 4th & 5th at 2000rpm - so I'm happy with that.

highly inaccurate fuel gauge shows emtpy with 20L left in it, so I'm going to use the 'range' from now on.. had a gentle drive back from the petrol station at 70 on the motorway & it looks like I'll get >400miles from the 50L tank easily enough.
It did it's first commute today, I'm glad I have a broad sense of humour for sensible cars, as this is perfect for nipping around in.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I missed this thread until now... Good choice of car: I was looking at these before I got the FR!

It's interesting, I was looking (and 'wanting to want' an FR/Sport 1.8T, but after I drove one at the stealers I knew what I needed to have

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
i do like the 172's, good choice mate...i wouldnt say no to one...or a v6 for that matter :) much plans modding wise?

I would have spunked a bit more on a V6 if I could live with a 45L boot, but given the places I need to park for work the car needs to be narrow.

no real plans at all, it handles perfect, stops well & goes quick enough. though I said that about the Mazda!

Some kind of ipod connection will be required before Germany at Easter though... I don't own any music CD's any more

rogers

rogers
Jan 8, 2006
bridgend, south wales
i litrally just sold mine, used it as a every day car instead of my ibiza and i did enjoy it, mine was the full fat version mine leather and a/c,

as for the build quality it was ok, nothing on a vag but hey there alot cheaper too, the only problem i had was a throttle position sensor, but that is a whole new throttle body which worked out expensive as FBW

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I like that a lot m0rk. :) I did want one years back when I had a Clio Si, which had a few 172 parts on it (the best seats I have ever had in a car), but the reliability problems I had with that eventually put me off. Handled like a wee roller skate though. :) And I had the pedal box size issues too. Not enough room for my size 11s on a long journey sometimes. :(

jamiebennett81

lovely example, and the best to be had with those optional alloys, good find (and the best colour!)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
main.php

Pretty happy with this result! They apparently never dyno near book, so I'm not going to complain!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah your right they don't come out the same, but thats really good!
i want one now :( don't like you mork lol just kidding

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Gotta give it a blast on the a272 fun road!

That was on the way back home at about 9pm, ripped past a car at the Winchester end & kept my foot in right to the top of the hill & didn't see another car on my side of the road until Petersfield!

Needless to say I was very bad, and the car was very good :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members