New shocks for FR 170...Koni FSD on standard springs

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Thought I might offer a quick summary of these parts. I had these fitted today by JKM in Portsmouth (thanks guys, great job!) and I am pleased to say that the improvement is VERY significant.

I have to say, it's a clever achievment getting the features of these shocks into one component. I was concerned that the ride would be anaesthetised and connection to the road taken away...this is very much not the case.

This is a little difficult to describe, but Koni have maintained the intended 'connection' that cars like these are meant to offer, but they have managed to give the ride the missing refinement. Turn in is faster and car is flatter and sharper through bends...even when accelerating hard and deliberately putting the inside wheels over a rough surface. You are aware of the required damping happening on the inside wheels, and the necessary firm resistance to body roll etc being present on the outside wheels while they are on a smooth surface.

As a point of interest, I spoke to LV re my insurance and told them what I was doing and asked if would affect my insurance costs and the answer was no. Different companies may have different policies on this, but I guess this is because ride height is unchanged.

In short...money well spent. We were happy with the car when test drove it, but 6214 miles later we were begining to find the ride a bit irritating at times. Not any more! :happy:

Anyone want to buy some low mileage FR shocks?????????

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
i dumped my standard shocks. had done over 20k on them when i changed to KW v1 coilovers. I do agree the ride on standard set-up is very poor. since i changed my set-up i've never looked back. Although mine is lowered, the car rides better.
Your shocks should improve over time. i'm sure your going to have many miles of happy motoring :)

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Good stuff!

How much did the work set you back in the end?

Now I just need to find someone who will supply and fit these for me within 20 miles of stansted...

clarkyboy03

Really good to hear

I am going to need to find someone to supply and fit them as well. Anyone know of a good place in South Wales area?

ben

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Good stuff!

How much did the work set you back in the end?

Now I just need to find someone who will supply and fit these for me within 20 miles of stansted...

It was £660 supply and fit with a four wheel laser alignment. Don't know what a dealer would charge for fitting, but I felt JKM were competitive and extremely competent.

Last edited:

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
I had settled on eibach sportline springs to help improve the ride and lower it.

Has anyone got them with koni fsd dampers?

Any thoughts on the combination?

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Koni designed the FSD's to work with OEM springs. I have been told by a Koni appointed and trained agent that they will control the lower Eibachs (Pro kit) ok...but I decided not to complicate the matter of the Koni warranty (which I hear is first class) and also to use them as they intended. But that of course is only my preference.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Hmmm this could be the answer I have been looking for. Expensive, but as I have no intention to sell the car it may be a worthwhile option. Only concern is how well it will work with the low Eibachs I have fitted . . . . . .

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Koni designed the FSD's to work with OEM springs. I have been told by a Koni appointed and trained agent that they will control the lower Eibachs (Pro kit) ok...but I decided not to complicate the matter of the Koni warranty (which I hear is first class) and also to use them as they intended. But that of course is only my preference.

I have the Eibach Pro Springs with the Koni FSDs. The ride is improved and the car feels a lot better on the roads. The car sits lower than standard but the main thing is the ride for me.
Alex

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm this could be the answer I have been looking for. Expensive, but as I have no intention to sell the car it may be a worthwhile option. Only concern is how well it will work with the low Eibachs I have fitted . . . . . .

Struggling with the same decision aswell Dave, go with just the eibach springs, springs and koni's or oem springs and koni's! Decisions decisions!

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
I went over and over the same questions myself...so much so I got bored with hearing myself! :blink:

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
Right I think I'm just gonna do it properly and get the koni fsd's with eibach proline springs.

Anyone have any recomendations of where to pick up this hardware for a leon fr tfsi?

Also anyone down south near reading that can recomend a garage?

jonbonb

if ur around the southern/Reading area then try Camberley Auto Factors for the Konis they've got a Reading branch and they can get them transfered from another branch as there sister company Performance Parts Direct are the UK wholesaler of Koni and supply everyone in the uk, performance parts direct are based in Farnborough if u know that at all so should be in stock to Reading branch next day too (i used to work there if your wondering how i know this!)

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Thought I might tag onto this thread with an update.

I've bitten the bullet and had the Koni FSDs fitted onto my standard springs by the peeps at AMD Technik in thurrock this morning, and I've Just driven her up the M25 and M11 back home.

As Flashp has alluded to, the improvement in ride quality is unbelievable compared to the OEM shocks.

I found that I was no longer crashing over all the ridges and gaps in the M25 road surface between Thurrock and the M11. It's difficult to describe but I found that I was "bouncing" gently over the bumps instead of feeling like the car had just dropped 2 feet :happy:

The real test will be my commute tomorrow and the myriad of potholes that comes with it :)

isamion

I have a Ref Sport TDI with 16in Wheels.
I am thinking of fitting Koni FSDs and possibly Eibach Proline Springs.
I also intend to fit 18in wheels.

Will going from 16in to 18in wheels undo the comfort benefit of the suspension upgrade?
Or will it be barely noticeable?

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
18s will reduce ride comfort although they will look good- the lower the profile the more you will lose. I have 17s and pro kit springs with FSD shocks and my Fr tfsi is a much improved car, ride better and handling road holding better a no lose deal. It may be best to do things by stages as if 18s are too rough you may be beyond what shocks and springs will cure. I have a set of 17s -standard 07 for cheap sale although I am not nearby. So many people have gone to 18s that you should be able to get some 17s for a good price- they may be as far as you need to go?

isamion

18s will reduce ride comfort although they will look good- the lower the profile the more you will lose. I have 17s and pro kit springs with FSD shocks and my Fr tfsi is a much improved car, ride better and handling road holding better a no lose deal. It may be best to do things by stages as if 18s are too rough you may be beyond what shocks and springs will cure. I have a set of 17s -standard 07 for cheap sale although I am not nearby. So many people have gone to 18s that you should be able to get some 17s for a good price- they may be as far as you need to go?

I think 17s may be the way for me to go. Thanks for your help.