speakers

iainbig

anyone know what size the door speakers are in the mk1??

and hasv anybody installed a set of 6 by 9s is this hard to do>???

iainbig

was thinking that was just wondering as i have a good rand new set of 6x9s here lol, is it striahgt forward enough chaniging the coment speakers? any recomendations on types?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
was thinking that was just wondering as i have a good rand new set of 6x9s here lol, is it striahgt forward enough chaniging the coment speakers? any recomendations on types?

I used X type Alpine's from Car Audio Security, and the tweeter was an absolute $hitter to fit - ended up silicone sealing it in place in the en as nothing else would seal the tweeter into the tweeter hole. All dependent on budget really. Some use Focal's, others use R type Alpines - you need to define a well balanced set up, then set a budget and get the right amp / speaker / sub combo so you spend the money on the bits that matter the most.

Not a horrendous job (hour and a half per side), just watch out that the mechanism for the interior door handle release is set up properly before you refit the trim panel (unlike my effort). Went to get out the door and was stuck inside :cartman:

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
You'll also need to either buy or fabricate adaptors (same as mk4 golf ones) and be prepared to drill your old speakers out as they are riveted in.

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
not worth the hassle of putting 6 x 9s in. bit of a parcel shelf chav thing. stick with some decent door speakers that fit with the adaptor pods. infinity are good and cheap. not worth going over the top and spending hundreds on something like mb quart unless you are going to amp them.

JamJay

California Bound
As above, X-Type or Focal door components. I would recommend amping the front speakers if you're on a budget with a simple 2-channel amp, or if you want to go all out then buy a 4-channel and do all 4. Personally, I couldn't give a toss whether the people in the back can hear the sound as crisply as me in the front so i'd only bother with amping the fronts. Alpine make very good amps, i've never been disappointed with one.

How many RCA's does you head unit have? I was just thinking, you might have trouble sticking a sub in if you only have one RCA. Well, you could run the front speakers and a sub off of a 4-channel amp in the boot but personally I find that it's best for run a sub from a Mono Amp to get the best from it.

iainbig

cheers for all the help guys i already have a jbl amp i bought new a while ago remenber seeing a sub up for sale which fitted into the side of the boot in a leon on here anyone know were it went to? and will it run ok with the sub and speakers allof the one amp??

JamJay

California Bound
I assume it's a 4-channel amp that you have then and a head unit with only 1 RCA preout for your phono cables?

It will be fine to run the sub and the front speakers from a 4 channel amp but from my own experience, it won't handle the low frequency sound as well as Mono Amplifier, which only runs on low frequency and 1 channel. By all means, it won't sound crap at all but I am a perfectionist and would want to get the best from it 1st time round.

If it was me and I had 2 RCA inputs, i'd go for one 2/4 channel amp and situate that under the front seat, from there connect and run the speakers from it. I'd then have a mono amp in the boot sitting with the subwoofer. When I get around to doing mine, i'll be installing a 2 channel amp for the front speakers, i'd go for a 4 channel if the Alpine amp I have wasn't so damn good or had alot of back seat passengers.

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
cheers for all the help guys i already have a jbl amp i bought new a while ago remenber seeing a sub up for sale which fitted into the side of the boot in a leon on here anyone know were it went to? and will it run ok with the sub and speakers allof the one amp??

As long as the amp is 3 channel or above then yes. What model number is it?

Does someone else know whether if his amp turns out a 4 channel, can you bridge the rear channels for the sub to give it more power, or would the amp have to be fitted with a specific bridge mode facility?

JamJay

California Bound
As far as I know, if he wanted to, could run the front speakers on channel 1 & 2, then bridge channels 3 & 4 for the sub to give it more of a kick. I haven't done this before so I am not sure what the effects could be. I know some say that over loading the amp can be bad for the alternator and I know that you need to be careful when bridging in case you put too much power through the speaker. If you know the model number, check 1st whether it has been bridged at the factory or is indeed bridgable at all (some manufacturers recommend that you don't in any circumstance), some amps are in fact 2 smaller amps running together, if this is the case, you won't be able to bridge again.

Last edited:

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
if you have a four channel amp, then you're ok to use channel 1 & 2 for the front speakers and bridge channels 3 & 4 for the sub. I think most amps will cope with this. Some amps will allow you to set the gain as well for different channels, so you could up the gain for sub channels. Otherwise you could feed your single rca output from your head unit into a crossover and this will split it into different frequencies allowing you to alter the output, these also have multiple RCA outputs, allowing you to hook up multiple amps.

Just remember to take a decent and thick gauge power feed from the battery to a power distribution block and then from there to your amp. I've seen too many time where people use thin cheap cables and the fooker melts and sets fire to your car. Also, run your RCA cables down a different side of your car from the power cable otherwise you will get noise (normally a high pitched squeal) which you could cancel out with a supressor but its best to run them apart from each other.

I used to have 4 x 10 inch subs running from 2 X 4 channel amps and a set of 6 x 9s and 6 inch mids in a previous car, had to use an 80 amp fuse at the front of the car feeding into a distribution block which had 4 x 50 amp fuses in it. With all that power being drawn, batteries didn't last long :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise