Mfd3

mikey-typer

May 23, 2008
Hi thinking of getting 1 for my FR550!
A few questions about the unit and fitting in the Leon! :confused:

1. I dont have the bluetooth kit on my leon will the unit still work without the larger MFD and will bluetooth work on the unit without it?
2. Is it just a case of plug and play?
3. Does the VW unit need re-programming for use in the seat?
4. Do the steering wheel controls still work?
5. Will I still be able to use the factory fitted USB connector?

Before you say do a seach, Ihave and there is alot of conflicting information just need some clarification before I splashe the cash!

Cheers guys!

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Hi thinking of getting 1 for my FR550!
A few questions about the unit and fitting in the Leon! :confused:

1. I dont have the bluetooth kit on my leon will the unit still work without the larger MFD and will bluetooth work on the unit without it?
2. Is it just a case of plug and play?
3. Does the VW unit need re-programming for use in the seat?
4. Do the steering wheel controls still work?
5. Will I still be able to use the factory fitted USB connector?

Before you say do a seach, Ihave and there is alot of conflicting information just need some clarification before I splashe the cash!

Cheers guys!

1. I dont have the bluetooth kit on my leon will the unit still work without the larger MFD and will bluetooth work on the unit without it? The MFD3 doesn't have bluetooth, it works with the bluetooth unit (if installed) in your car already
2. Is it just a case of plug and play?Yes, it was for me
3. Does the VW unit need re-programming for use in the seat?Can't comment on this one as mine is a SEAT unit
4. Do the steering wheel controls still work? Yes
5. Will I still be able to use the factory fitted USB connector? Can't directly say, as mine is fitted with the ipod dock, but this works with the MFD3

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
One thing i did notice with the mfd3 and the wheel controls, the "fast forward" doesnt work, if you hold the skip button in on the wheel, it just skips tracks, annoying when you have one big long mix track..you carnt skip with the steering wheel controls.

Also regarding plu and play - mine for some reason keeps asking me to "enter code" ever other week, solved with a quick reset but i even did the optional wiring at the back and i still get this "enter code" business. Im thinking of taking into SEAT dealer and getting them to look at it and make sure its 100% fitted correctly. Will they work on it seen as though i bought it from a spanish dude?

whitehead180

Sorry to go off at a slight tangent here but what is the difference between an mfd2 and an mfd3

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
One thing i did notice with the mfd3 and the wheel controls, the "fast forward" doesnt work, if you hold the skip button in on the wheel, it just skips tracks, annoying when you have one big long mix track..you carnt skip with the steering wheel controls.

Also regarding plu and play - mine for some reason keeps asking me to "enter code" ever other week, solved with a quick reset but i even did the optional wiring at the back and i still get this "enter code" business. Im thinking of taking into SEAT dealer and getting them to look at it and make sure its 100% fitted correctly. Will they work on it seen as though i bought it from a spanish dude?
Mine does the same, apparently you have to wire in a constant feed from the battery or something... not difficult but I cant be arsed at the moment, i had the unit for about 3 months before i bothered to rewire the connection for the iPod!!!
With the >> button on the steering wheel, a quick press moves you on 1 track, a long press moves you on a folder on MP3s...

Eriedor

Feb 2, 2009
Do you need the MFD for bluetooth functionality?

I'm thinking of installing the MFD3 and premium bluetooth kit, will that work happily together without the large MFD?

Can't see the value in spending £500 on a new cluster.

hammie2k

Mar 4, 2009
I have retro fitted the MFD3 in my K1. Only the Volume controls work on the wheel (can't get the others to work). You will also need to "modify" the back plastic moulding to fit the MFD3 as the card reader gets in the way.

I am toying with adding the premium bluetooth as I don't have the MFD in the cluster. but I will prob end up getting a parrot kit fitted instead. Don't forget to buy the clips for the replacement radio trim or it does not fit right ;) As I now know hehe

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.