Sub frame moving??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Getting well pissed off with this one now.

I dropped my sub frame, changed all the bushes for Audi TT roadster rear swing arm and LCR front swing arm. The front ARB, bushes, clamp and bolts were all changed for new MK4 R32 23mm kit, VW OEM. There were no problems with putting any of this back together. Initially the old sub frame stretch bolts were used but now changed with new Seat OEM ones.
The sub frame was painted too.

So anyway I'm getting a REALLY dodgey sounding BANG when either accelerating hard, braking hard or cornering hard.
It looked like the sub frame had been sliding on the mounting bolts, but these have been jsu changed for new ones, torqued to 110 NM and 90 degrees of stretch.
FECKIN NOISE IS STILL THERE!!

Whats happening??

Would the paint on the sub frame be creating a slidy enough surfame to allow this whole thing to move??

The only other thing that was fitted was 2 piece discs but this wouldn't cause the noise to happen when accelerating hard?
Or would they?
But cornering hard they wouldn't be able to make this noise

WWAAAAAHHHH!!!!

the other thing I have checked is to see if the engine mounts are okay, they look okay but haven't removed these yet to check.

What do you all think?

Anyone had this?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Aye I did, finally...

Basically I have a copy of ELSAWIN from a friend off of ebay.
This has all the torque listed for each part.
I have followed this to the letter on a few occasions and found out to my cost that these figures can be wrong.
So when I fitted the wish bones onto the sub frame prior to fitting the sub frame to the car I used the required torque, with new bolts and 90 stretch on these. This has proved to not be enough.
I put a massive bar onto these and torqued these up which cured my horrible bang.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have had a mk4 golf do this repeatedly... the bolts would work loose for some reason, and at one point spat out 2 of the 4 bolts when I saw it to investigate a banging sound!!! wire locked them in the end.. fixed it. (that and loctited the new bolts and did em up FT)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have had a mk4 golf do this repeatedly... the bolts would work loose for some reason, and at one point spat out 2 of the 4 bolts when I saw it to investigate a banging sound!!! wire locked them in the end.. fixed it. (that and loctited the new bolts and did em up FT)
That's that problems sorted then, lol

This confused me, all friends and a few master technicians for ages. NEVER thought this would work loose especially made up to VW recommended torque.
Same with the supposedly stretch fitting of the DBM into the gear box casing, SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMENDED!!

Lesson learnd, don't take ELSAWIN's figures as gospel!!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Torque figures are overated. I've never had a single issue with a bolt on car or bike or anything for that matter.
It's either tight, f*kin tight or blowtorch to remove tight. :D

Aug 30, 2004
Stockport
Thanks for the heads up Willie I used the same torque settings on my resent suspension upgrade. Not had any knocking yet but I’m a bit concerned about alignment if it can move. So its back underneath and give everything another couple of flats just to be sure.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise