Front Grill "S" painted black...?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Has anyone on here done this mod?

Saw a black Cupra with BTCC Kit at Portstewart on East Sunday (very big cruising place/day in N. Ireland) and the SEAT "S" on the front grill was painted black also. was a very subtle, tasteful looking mod.

How would you go about doing this to get a good finish?

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I had painted the "S" badge on my grill.
Rubbed done the chrome & sprayed a good few layers of top coat & 2 layers of lacquer.
However, my Leon is black & it was too much. So I decided to go back to chrome "S" & fit a Cupra black surround.

It would probably work better on a white Leon.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I got a new 'S' badge from the stealers and a can of black Plastikote enamel paint from B&Q.

Applied a few coats over a few days and left to dry in my hot water cupboard. Couple of coats of lacquer and your done.

Ni Cupra

Inferi black cupra
May 23, 2007
yes i have it done and it was more than likely my car that you seen with the black "S" in portstewart, but it hasn't got a btcc kit ;)

just sand down the badge and apply a couple of coats of plastic primer, sand again, spray a few coats of black gloss then light sand again and top it off with a coat or two of clear lacquer.

subtle but effective mod and imo it works well with the inferi black and the rest of the gloss black on the car

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I did it to both S badges.

As said, flat it down, primer & them paint, done...

I think it will look good on a white one if you have the Cupra grill with black surround, on a chrome surround it will look pants, IMO

P1010838.jpg

jdearden

how's the badge/handle removed from the car? I'm half thinking of using painting the actuall S black, but the tiny bits of background in red...to match my wheels

N Jardine

Apr 2, 2009
Northern Ireland
back s badge

Hi Jace i have a black leon with btcc kit, have cupra grille on front end have to say your's looks rael tasty with blask 's' badge. would by any chance you could post a pic of the back of you yoke so i could see how it looks before i decide to do so. thanks

Rangers

Jan 24, 2009
Scotland
I know this is a bit off topic but where did you get your mud flaps for the cupra/fr and will they fit a leon with a btcc kit fitted? Tired of the mud and stones ruining the front of the car behind the front wheels lost a jacking cover due to this ( i think ), anyway thanks.

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
I know this is a bit off topic but where did you get your mud flaps for the cupra/fr and will they fit a leon with a btcc kit fitted? Tired of the mud and stones ruining the front of the car behind the front wheels lost a jacking cover due to this ( i think ), anyway thanks.

Front mud flaps won't fit when the side skirts are fitted[:@]
It's the one thing putting me off geting the side skirts

N Jardine

Apr 2, 2009
Northern Ireland
Ktulumike

About your jacking covers put duct tape under ur sideskirts covering them. they won't fall off!! Im from the big smoke myself good old Banbridge hate them stupid speed bumps round by carpark

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
yes i have it done and it was more than likely my car that you seen with the black "S" in portstewart, but it hasn't got a btcc kit ;)

just sand down the badge and apply a couple of coats of plastic primer, sand again, spray a few coats of black gloss then light sand again and top it off with a coat or two of clear lacquer.

subtle but effective mod and imo it works well with the inferi black and the rest of the gloss black on the car

Yeah, probably was you then. Could of swore it had the kit though...

Anyway... how do you spray the "S" without getting the paint on the plastic? or does this not matter? How far do you sand it down, like what sort of grades of sndpaper are being used?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
thinking of doing both the front and the back folks! but for the back... going to remove the L E O N lettering and then paint them black to match. any tips on removing the lettering without bending them? (if that is even possible) since i want to put them back on. Also how exactly are they attached as il want them put on the same way. cheers!

leon263

Jan 12, 2008
THe lettering is held on by double sided foam sticky tape. If you get a finger nail under a corner they will lift away very easily and you will definitely not bend them. You could also use dental floss to cut through the foam tape. Either way you will need to replace the foam tape before you replace the letters.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.