SEAT reveal 2009 Leon Cupra - first look

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
When I was handed the official press pack for the Leon Cupra back in Feb 2007, it didn't say they would never use the R brand again. It simply expressed they had no specific plans to revitalise it at the current time.

I now demand 18 months of tedious rumour, "inside information" and wild speculation from as many people as possible over 54 different threads because people keep starting new ones. :D

A bloke I know met someone who read a book about an interior decorator who did up the apartment block where Walter Da Silva's dog walker used to live, and apparently the new Cupra R will have four wheel drive (but it'll be proper four wheel drive and not Haldex-based) and it will also have 600bhp, active aerodynamics and 27" rims. :yes:

Facelift looks good, though. Freshens it up, which is all that a facelift is supposed to do.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I now demand 18 months of tedious rumour, "inside information" and wild speculation from as many people as possible over 54 different threads because people keep starting new ones. :D

you dont have to demand it mark because you know youre going to get it.

have the aero kits finally run out then :whistle:?

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I really like the leather but then again it looks like it will be optional. I wonder if it will be as silly price like the scirocco (£1500)?

Looks like there are more buttons on the MFSW as well.

Does the picture have parking sensors on as well?

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Interior and rear are great. Front looks like Darth Vaders jaw line (or has it got a cocktail stick stuck sideways in its mouth?) - Not so keen. Makes it look too high.

The original looks better.

saintelise

Not sure that I prefer any of it over the current model.

Oh, actually the wheels look better IMO - but that's it - sorry SEAT :(

Although I've had my Cupra for just over a year now, why do I find myself wishing I should have bought a Focus ST??

Just seem to see Orange ones driving around and thinking they are 'smarter and cooler' than mine :shrug:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I think I would do this if I had a Cupra - Make it like the first MK2 Cupra as it is more aggressive. Shame about the holes - they look a bit nasty. The wheels on the FR are nicer than the wheels on the Cupra too.

leonpequetz3.jpg

leon09cuprahh8.jpg

main.php

Edit: Looking at the Cupra badge on the bumper, I am wondering if UK number plates will be too long for it? being fair, if I had one, I would probably take it off anyway as it looks a bit naff.

Last edited:

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
The same as on the previous version, the new León CUPRA 2009 is equipped with the powerful 240 hp 2.0 TSI engine, which provides brilliant performance and delivers exceptional fuel consumption figures. Top speed is clocked at 247 km/h, 0 to 100 km/h acceleration takes only 6.4 seconds, and it covers a standing kilometre in only 26.4 seconds. At the same time, average combined fuel consumption is listed at 8.3 litres for every 100 km.

Interesting.

I found the Mk1 LCR version of the above just for comparison as i know how you Mk 2 Cupra chaps love to boast of the '260'bhp superior performance;)

http://car.kak.net/2003/07/03/new-seat-leon-cupra-r-maximum-sportiness/

The new León Cupra R has a formidable top speed in excess of 240 km/h. It reaches 242 km/h (237 km/h for the previous León Cupra R), accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 6.9 seconds (7.2 s), and covers a standing kilometre in 26.8 seconds (27.4 s). All in all, the new León Cupra R is an improvement over the previous version in every performance aspect.

So from what i can gather from the 2 reports is....

Leon Cupra with '260'bhp does a standing km in 26.4secs and a Leon Cupra R with 222bhp does a standing km in 26.8secs (Or should i be using 237bhp in the figures now:p)

Take the fact the Cupra can do 0-62mph in 6.4 vs 0-62 in 6.9 for the LCR, then somethings not adding up about how fast these MK 2 Cupra claims are;) Also bare in mind, these cars get upto 95-100mph in 400m at santapod, so 1000m must be approaching 130mph.

These are official SEAT figures too so as reliable as they get.

Sorry, i just had too;):doh:

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Interesting.

I found the Mk1 LCR version of the above just for comparison as i know how you Mk 2 Cupra chaps love to boast of the '260'bhp superior performance;)

http://car.kak.net/2003/07/03/new-seat-leon-cupra-r-maximum-sportiness/

So from what i can gather from the 2 reports is....

Leon Cupra with '260'bhp does a standing km in 26.4secs and a Leon Cupra R with 222bhp does a standing km in 26.8secs (Or should i be using 237bhp in the figures now:p)

Take the fact the Cupra can do 0-62mph in 6.4 vs 0-62 in 6.9 for the LCR, then somethings not adding up about how fast these MK 2 Cupra claims are;) Also bare in mind, these cars get upto 95-100mph in 400m at santapod, so 1000m must be approaching 130mph.

These are official SEAT figures too so as reliable as they get.

Sorry, i just had too;):doh:

Have you driven a MK2 Leon Cupra? Those who have driven both an LCR and the MK2 Cupra tend to agree on the looks thing just as they do about the MK2 Cupra being faster and superior to drive.

Figures or no figures, I would put money on a MK2 Leon Cupra any day on any test vs an LCR and the only one an LCR might win on is looks ;)

Its like comparing the new Focus RS vs the Old Focus RS with a smaller power differential. Only difference is that the LCR has the party outfit just like the new Focus RS does, and the old Focus RS and New Leon Cupra plain Jane by comparison.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Having owned both, the R doesn't come close. Maybe as stock vs stock they are a fairer comparison, frankly the Mk2 revs better, goes better and handles better but probably weighs that bit more.

However if were going to have a discussion regarding modifications too, then the TFSI wins hands down if it's fuel pump doesn't manage to wear out the camshaft first. :D

Would take you out for ride in mine any time Mitchy, if it drags my sorry arse along faster than my R could then it's got to have something going for it. The R I owned was no slouch either as most people know.

Last edited:

shaunymac

Auto Emocion
Jul 30, 2007
Basildon, Essex
Have you driven a MK2 Leon Cupra? Those who have driven both an LCR and the MK2 Cupra tend to agree on the looks thing just as they do about the MK2 Cupra being faster and superior to drive.

Figures or no figures, I would put money on a MK2 Leon Cupra any day on any test vs an LCR and the only one an LCR might win on is looks ;)

Its like comparing the new Focus RS vs the Old Focus RS with a smaller power differential.

Could'nt agree more :)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004

No, i have not driven a Cupra and in all honesty i do expect them to be quicker than the Mk1 Cupra R but i was only pointing out that the official SEAT figures do not really show this to be the case.

Although there is evidence from RR's to show that these cars are making upto 260bhp out of the box, i've always been a little dubious about these claims. Ive come to learn that a rolling road is a complete waste of time and effort unless before run>modification>after run sequence, but then even then can you really trust that the operator run it properly on its 1st pre mod run.....I've come to learn that differences between dynos are so misleading that its just a complete waste of time and effort. A torque curve / powerline will be graphed differently from a JBS run to an Awesome run to a Star performance run, that there is just no common ground between them all. Along with some of the figures produced....(Hey only my experiences)

I'll probably never return to the car modding scene again, too much money wasted. Although the appetite for fast machinery is still raging within. TTRS perhaps when the car is released next year and the wife allows me to finance it.

I would like to see a return of the R in the current Mk2 format. Bring back the big red brembo callipers, and the low wide front end to beef it up a little.

As to the future, the R20 is going to be 4wd so no reason why SEAT cannot launch a Leon model from that with power to rival FRS.

Will wait and see

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Although there is evidence from RR's to show that these cars are making upto 260bhp out of the box, i've always been a little dubious about these claims. Ive come to learn that a rolling road is a complete waste of time and effort unless before run>modification>after run sequence, but then even then can you really trust that the operator run it properly on its 1st pre mod run.....I've come to learn that differences between dynos are so misleading that its just a complete waste of time and effort. A torque curve / powerline will be graphed differently from a JBS run to an Awesome run to a Star performance run, that there is just no common ground between them all. Along with some of the figures produced....(Hey only my experiences)

Absolutely agree, especially the bit in the middle. This is why my car was tested at each step on the same road by the same lad. Figures thrown about by others do however fall in line with what I have seen myself, but you are correct.

By the way, most people who have tested a MK2 Leon Cupra on a r/r have seen the 260bhp regardless of the rolling road, so I have to say I am not so dubious. I know mine made 257bhp on the rolling road completely stock immediately after a MK5 Golf GTi at Stage 2 made 251bhp and immediately before a stock Edition 30 made 248bhp. Two cars later, a stage 2 LCR made 263bhp.

I'll probably never return to the car modding scene again, too much money wasted.

I think that is down to the individual. At the end of the day "modding" can be anything from adding a magic tree to doing a big turbo conversion. What normally happens is people get older and have other more important priorities than making their car look nicer or go faster.

All things considered though, as memory serves, you have a modified turbo in yours? Out of interest, how much money have you spent on it?

One thing the MK2 has available that the LCR doesnt is 360bhp with "minimal cost". Some would class the approx £2.5k (£1000 exhaust, £300 intake, £300 intercooler, £300 fuel pump, £20 gearbox mount and £500 remap) as a bit of a bargain to achieve that power. To do the same on an LCR you would be looking at a similar amount plus the big turbo, new turbo lines etc and all the other hassle that comes with a big turbo conversion like internal upgrades etc, and you end up with similar power to a stage 2+ MK2 leon Cupra, but with loads of lag.

I would like to see a return of the R in the current Mk2 format. Bring back the big red brembo callipers, and the low wide front end to beef it up a little.

A lot of us would, especially if the low front end is not courtesy of an extended Aero bumper.

Last edited:

nickydobreanu

Parking sensors in standard :help: The wheels are nice, however I think they are heavier than what I prefer. The steering wheel resembles the GTI, doesn't it?

Chris_Cupra

Apr 17, 2007
Athens, Greece
Not a great or even a noticeable update on that car...!!! The only thing that's probably interesting is the possible launching of the new 2.0 TSI engine with the K04-series turbo before the new Scirocco-R20 (270hp) ... !!! My view is that they will go away from the old TFSI engine, and introduce here as well the redesigned (different block and blueprinting, exhaust-camshaft VVT, etc) 2.0 TSI engine with differently driven HPFP (chain) ...
I would expect a model able to comptete the new Focus RS, with a bit more power (approx. 285bhp), mechanical LSD, and more aggressive front looks, but Seat presumably plan to do all these in their future Mk3 Leon Cupra sometime around 2012...;):D