Front Grill "S" painted black...?

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
About your jacking covers put duct tape under ur sideskirts covering them. they won't fall off!! Im from the big smoke myself good old Banbridge hate them stupid speed bumps round by carpark

Everyone hates them, real pain in the :censored: Esp when I've lowered the car 50mm, my wife calls my ca the bone shaker:redface:

Ni Cupra

Inferi black cupra
May 23, 2007
Yeah, probably was you then. Could of swore it had the kit though...

Anyway... how do you spray the "S" without getting the paint on the plastic? or does this not matter? How far do you sand it down, like what sort of grades of sndpaper are being used?
take the grill off the car, be careful not to brake the side clips and you will see how the badge comes off looking at the back of it. also watch you dont break the bits that sit into the "S". i used coarse wet and dry think it was 300 or around that from memory for giving a good key for the primer and finer for between coats.

thinking of doing both the front and the back folks! but for the back... going to remove the L E O N lettering and then paint them black to match. any tips on removing the lettering without bending them? (if that is even possible) since i want to put them back on. Also how exactly are they attached as il want them put on the same way. cheers!
also im thinking of doing this on mine but havent just got round to it yet, but as has been said dental floss or fishing line will take off the lettering. would it not be handier buying a new badge from a dealers, they come properly spaced and with the sticky pads on the back. would save hassle. IIRC i paid about £15 for the cupra one.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
h8t wp done this too looks good

2959_163789575421_534990421_6448185_7667436_n.jpg

hes banned still not sure why but see if a mod can get intouch with him for more info ?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
take the grill off the car, be careful not to brake the side clips and you will see how the badge comes off looking at the back of it. also watch you dont break the bits that sit into the "S". i used coarse wet and dry think it was 300 or around that from memory for giving a good key for the primer and finer for between coats.

also im thinking of doing this on mine but havent just got round to it yet, but as has been said dental floss or fishing line will take off the lettering. would it not be handier buying a new badge from a dealers, they come properly spaced and with the sticky pads on the back. would save hassle. IIRC i paid about £15 for the cupra one.

Cheers mate, been very helpful! :thumbup: Think i might take you up on the buying the new lettering as i lay in bed last night wondering how i would go about marking out where the letters were etc etc... make more sense to do it your way!

jdearden

thinking of doing both the front and the back folks! but for the back... going to remove the L E O N lettering and then paint them black to match. any tips on removing the lettering without bending them? (if that is even possible) since i want to put them back on. Also how exactly are they attached as il want them put on the same way. cheers!

Yeah, double sided adhesive foam. I found that the adhesive was very tough on mine. Got a hairdryer cirlced around the letter I wanted off for around 20 seconds on highest heat setting, then used some cotton thread (or floss) and sliced downwards. Came off easily that way.

I bought some autoglym tar remover and soaked the remaining bits still stuck on the car then used a polishing cloth to work it off. Then used some t-cut to remove the really stubborn bits.

Took a while to get it looking good but was worth it, especially if you're going to re-apply lettering. Not sure the best thing to use to re-apply them with...sticky 3m strips I imagine?
(give it a wipe before sticking on)

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Picked up a jar of black paintable Plasticote paint today, and will have a crack at doing both front and rear badges over the weekend.

Decided on the paintable stuff rather than the spray, as it's easier to do small areas with a brush, instead of masking off etc for spraying, and it's cheaper @ only £2.80 for the jar :D

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Picked up a jar of black paintable Plasticote paint today, and will have a crack at doing both front and rear badges over the weekend.

Decided on the paintable stuff rather than the spray, as it's easier to do small areas with a brush, instead of masking off etc for spraying, and it's cheaper @ only £2.80 for the jar :D

You doing the letters on the tailgate or just the 'S' handle?
I saw one debadged on the rear and it looked pretty smart :p
Another decision to make - leave on my FR badges at the side repeaters or remove them for a smoother look? Think Im just getting bored - what can I change that wont cost loads :lol:

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
I'll be removing the 'Altea' badges, and also the TDi ones on the wings, and then painting both 'S' badges gloss black ;)

I know you mean about being bored..... I'd love to fit some coilies and new rims, but £££ is stopping that at the mo! Mainly due to the baby arriving 4 weeks ago :lol:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
I know you mean about being bored..... I'd love to fit some coilies and new rims, but £££ is stopping that at the mo! Mainly due to the baby arriving 4 weeks ago :lol:

Hmmm I was the same 11 years ago and he just kept getting more expensive - then came the nephews . . . . :lol: Wouldnt change it for the world tho :D

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
Another decision to make - leave on my FR badges at the side repeaters or remove them for a smoother look? Think Im just getting bored - what can I change that wont cost loads :lol:

change the number plates mate!!:p A cheap and inexpensive mod, but can totally change the look of the car:lol:
immitation is the sincerest form of flattery

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland

Remove, remove, remove! i have nothing at my side indicators and have also got the clear side indicators and it looks far, far tidier than any i have seen with big bulky badges stuck on. cleaning in around them is a nightmare anyway...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.