Indicator ticking problem

guitarjon

Hi everyone, my cars indicator ticking noise has started coming on randomly just on its own, or after I have just used the indicator (it continues faster). My friend thought it might have been something to do with the hazard controls (as this is where the noise comes from). He tested it and said that there was some live feed coming from something in the block, so we replaced the whole block. After replacing the whole unit thing it still did it.

Anyway, he checked the fuses which are all ok, and looked at the indicator relay. He said it felt slightly warm but did not smell burnt or anything. Hes a mechanic but hes not a big fan of auto electronics. He said he could try the indicator relay stuff however he doesnt want to keep spending money on what he thinks it could be.

Its a Leon mk1 (2001) 1.6 S.

Just to add, the indicator lights do not come on when the noise comes on, they are working as normal, (also all the bulbs are all ok).

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
just a thought but will a hazzard switch off an A3 fit my Leon???
I know Ill have to change the console as well.

funkybiscuit

did anyone have any joy with this? my lcr has just started doing the same :(

BRB

part-timer
Mar 18, 2008
Glasgow
this happened too my car . bought new hazard switch but same ticking problem occured . sometimes it can be the indicator stalk . **** builds up inside it . e.g. copper shavings from switch contact . these sometimes create a contact when the switch is not on . try giving the inside of the indicator stalk a spray with electrical contact spray ,whilst wiggling it about (or wd40,this is what i used) . dont spray in too much.

funkybiscuit

cheers for the guide! Just out of interest for people that have had this problem, is it intermittent or not? I drove to Southampton and back over the weekend from Plymouth and it didn't happen once! Went to drive to work this morning and there it was again..... :shrug:

abdam

this happened too my car . bought new hazard switch but same ticking problem occured . sometimes it can be the indicator stalk . **** builds up inside it . e.g. copper shavings from switch contact . these sometimes create a contact when the switch is not on . try giving the inside of the indicator stalk a spray with electrical contact spray ,whilst wiggling it about (or wd40,this is what i used) . dont spray in too much.

I don't know if this problems been solved as there's no update but as its just the indircator noise your hearing I think this is what's causing your problem, Just need to clean the copper pots at the bottom of the indicator stalk, thats all.

Adam

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
dragging a dead thread up but I've developed this problem too.

Thinking that while I replace the switch I might fit one of these relays as well - Part number 000998229A = Retrofit Kit for comfort turn signals.

Don't suppose anyone has done it have they? Seems to be a dealer kit and an indy kit about, surprisingly the dealer kit looks more fiddly, and there isn't much room to play with in that there dash board...

Dantheman2013

Got same problem did u manage to fix it ? I heard replacing the indicator stork is the way?????

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.