Servicing

chrissy1502002

Search Button Ambassador
Jun 12, 2007
Portsmouth (ish)
www.bebo.com
Apologies for the stupid question. I have had a search around on here but am unable to find the answer.

Basicaly im going to be servicing my car at the weekend and i am unsure how many litres of oil i will need. Halfords say it only takes 4 litres, but i would rather be sure.

Many thanks

Chris

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
yep 3.8 litres mate also the halfords own oils are made by comma so if it saves you £ then all the better (although they mark it up by £10 lol)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
come on chris... you should know to look in the owners manual by now!!!

go to GSF and buy their semi-synthetic stuff.. very cheap and is great oil. (used it in my car for ages)

have fun changing the oil filter though, and dont over tighten it when you put the new one on

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
I have just spoken to Portsmouth Audi and i think im going to pop it into them for pease of mind as they are only quoting me around £100 for the service.

:banghead:

your having a laugh.... right ???

oil is what £14
oil filter £5
spark plugs ( if you want to do them ) £ 30 ish, dont know how much they are for the cupra
air filter less that £10

comon chris, pull your finger out and do it yourself, its not hard at all, just need a bit of time and patience

rogers

rogers
Jan 8, 2006
bridgend, south wales
come on chris... you should know to look in the owners manual by now!!!

go to GSF and buy their semi-synthetic stuff.. very cheap and is great oil. (used it in my car for ages)

have fun changing the oil filter though, and dont over tighten it when you put the new one on

theres a difference from running a 1.4 to a cupra and one this is to use fully syn, oil, its much better for it,

with a n/a engine it will be fine and will have no benifit!

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
theres a difference from running a 1.4 to a cupra and one this is to use fully syn, oil, its much better for it,

with a n/a engine it will be fine and will have no benifit!

ok fair enough, fully synth then... i was only listing the stuff to show how cheap doing it yourself is.

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
But if you service it yourself then you cant stamp the book yourself can you? If you get it serviced by a garage then when it comes to selling the car you canb have a bookmfull of garage stamps, which makes it easier to sell.

rogers

rogers
Jan 8, 2006
bridgend, south wales
the car's getting on now, id be happy to buy a car that has been serviced by a individual as long as the recipt;s are all there if been done, it isnt rocket science, things like timing belt etc then most people would have a garage do it other than that, so i wouldnt worry, its when it hasnt been serviced and no reciets!

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Know what your saying, when o bought my cupra it had FSH and the guy said the cambelt and water pump had been changed but it hadent been done at a garage. He did have a reciept for the parts so it did tally up.

It is 4.5 litres when changing the oil filter as well (which i'd expect you to do lol)

To be fair, Magnatec 10W40 is fine, but I use Quantum Gold (Now called Platinum) from the dealers, £25 for 5 litres and it's fully synthetic, along with a genuine filter for a few quid more.

It's very easy to change the oil, but mark my words you will NEVER be able to do it without spilling any oil anywhere! Maybe if you had ramps you'd get away with it, but jacked up forget it, it's mess central! But good fun!

When you take the oil filter off, you will need to disconnect the air pump electrical connector from underneath(you'll see it as it is blocking the way for the filter to come out!)
Do the oil filter up hand tight and use a bit of oil to grease the lip of the new filter.
When refilling pour in approximately ~4L of the oil then start the engine, let it run for a few mins, then turn off, leave for 5-10 mins, check the level, and fill accordingly. (DO NOT REV engine or anything like that when your doing this).

Then take some pride in your work and savour the fact you've done a decent oil change, and not a garage who doesn't drain the oil properly, and puts cheap oil in - not saying that happens much but it's peace of mind if you do it yourself :)

As said already, if your buying the car off someone who has kept receipts of everything they do, I value that just as much as FSH!

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Dosent really bother me if its got all its stamps etc in the book i think you can allways tell what people are like with there car when you go to view it just by what they say about it or how they are around it...

eg: If they keep telling you how fast it is it puts me off because makes me think that all they do it gun it everywhere...

It may just be me but even down to shutting doors i try to shut them as gently as possible because i dont like to slam them same with boot and bonnet..:lol:

chrissy1502002

Search Button Ambassador
Jun 12, 2007
Portsmouth (ish)
www.bebo.com
ok, well i have got it booked into Portsmouth Audi on Monday for just over £100. they are doing air, fuel, pollen, and oil filters, spark plugs, and oil change with Quantum fully synthetic oil. Seems like a bargain to me as their usual labour rates are over £115 per hour lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members