gt28 ibiza cops a valve/piston

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
GT2871 ibiza cupra in Neath, posted on vortex... Is this JJ, ex nogutsnoglory, ex cupra_matt ibiza?

27042009071.jpg

27042009072.jpg

thread here>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4363603

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
guttin seen this last week in cardiff, must of been givin it some **** to do that as it had new pistons/rods valves not long ago, jus awaitin mine 2 do the same now lol so i can get bill 2 fix me up with a built motor

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Yeah its matts old car, spoke to jamie last night about it. Rev'd it too much apparently, high rev limiter and standard valve springs probably caused it.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Yeah its matts old car, spoke to jamie last night about it. Rev'd it too much apparently, high rev limiter and standard valve springs probably caused it.

abusing it... owch!
so lucky it did'nt punch that valve thru the piston..

I would scrap that valvetrain and start over..

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
i never see the need 2 hit the rev limiter , silly boy lol

You havent got a 350+bhp.

It looks like hes gonna polish out the damage and replace the broken parts, spring, valve and guide whilst gettin the head checked.

But im surprised Matt didnt go for some decent springs originally with the rest of the spec.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I ran stock springs until I broke one.. luckily did'nt drop the valve.. so so lucky.
supertech all the way.. 9000rpm frenzy

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
No idea, said theres no limiter which has to be wrong.

How come you didnt break a valve bill? That is very lucky.

very lucky indeed.. spring had broken on mine, hyrdro lifter pumped up cos it could, to make up the gap, and held that valve open.. so I had a misfire. stopped it, checked coil packs, plugs, it still did it, so trailored it back to garage to fix. removing head that valve was still jacked open.. once it drained down it closed, but I had springs to fit, so fitted them, and on dismantling the broken spring fell out in 2 pieces..

the breakage on mine was caused by a mis-selection where I buzzed the motor.. going from top of 2nd gear back into 1st when 3rd did'nt engage as at that moment the gear cable end on the box snapped off.. The dropped cylinder happend the following weekend, not at the time. Damage was most certainly done on the engine buzz tho at tha previous race.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Yeah my old car.

Valves are supertech, jamie says a collet has split in half. I thought over rev too.

He is rebuilding it with New JE pistons, new valves, double springs and Ti retainers. So should be good for mega revs. I never ever revved it above 7.5 K

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I would be surprised to see a collet split, its still 2pieces of them held in by the taper

any pictures of it?

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
No pictures of it Bill, just what he said to me via email, one half of the collets was in 2 pieces.

More likely to be a retainer though? or spring?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.