I think my windscreen wiper motors knackered

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Hi All,

My wipers move really splowly, almost like they are struggling to wipe the screen, and dont really get any faster even when I put the wiper arm onto its fast setting.

What do you guys think? Wiper motor gone?

If so where can I salvage another one from? Any toledo mk2? or specifically a 2000 model? what about any of the leons?

Or are they cheap new?

Advice please.

Cheers

Alex

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
May just be the linkage or the spindles, stiff with corrosion. Take the motor off and try the linkage.

Cheers for that. I wull have a go with some WD40 and try and oil everything and see if that makes a difference

cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Wiper motors do tend to fail over time, but I don't remember them being that expensive. A quick search on Ebay shows second hand at around £30, and brand new for around £80.

This item is brand new;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380105229963

But more importantly, it lists the cars that it can fit, and it does look like its a part common to most Leons and Toledos. Another listing shows it also fits the mark 4 Golf and Bora, so you should have plenty of places to get one from.

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
The wiper motor died on my car and i got a linkage and motor from ebay for about £60. The listing said it were from a 2001 seat Leon, but the parts were covered in Skoda stamps and had a different electrical connector on the motor. I had to cut the outer casing off the connector, and find out which pin did what. The linkage was a direct fit though and had no problems fitting it once i worked out the wiring. I just made sure i had plenty of fuses handy as i were trying the wiring out! This picture shows which bit i had to modify.
DSC00552-1.jpg

If you do decide just to buy a new motor, make sure you fully check the linkages otherwise you'll soon be needing another new motor. If you have any questions about removing the linkage then don't be afraid to ask, it's a simple job really. :)

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
Its not the motor. There is another post on here somewhere explaining how to fix it. The problem is the linkage. It gets dirty and and the spindles that sits in the linkage will not move. Remove the linkage and spindles and clean the lot and put it back together. Problem sorted. I did it on mine and its never been this good. As said, there is a post on here describing in detail with pictures how to remove and clean the lot. Can't remember where though.

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Its not the motor. There is another post on here somewhere explaining how to fix it. The problem is the linkage. It gets dirty and and the spindles that sits in the linkage will not move. Remove the linkage and spindles and clean the lot and put it back together. Problem sorted. I did it on mine and its never been this good. As said, there is a post on here describing in detail with pictures how to remove and clean the lot. Can't remember where though.

Right when I get a moment I will have to take it all apart and sort that out.

Got exams at them moment so will be a couple weeks.

I will try and do a guide with pics at the same time.

Cheers

jdesousa

Jun 13, 2008
Nottingham
If you anywhere near nottingham you can always come round and I can give you a hand if you want. Its probably about a 2 hour job at most if that.

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
If you anywhere near nottingham you can always come round and I can give you a hand if you want. Its probably about a 2 hour job at most if that.

Hello Buddy,

Thankyou very much for the offer to help, much appreciated. I would take you up on the offer but Im all the way down in south london.

Cheers

Alex

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
How would you go about it?

This i how I would do it:

Wiper arms off
Take out scuttle panels
Unbolt linkage and motor

Take out and work on.

Is it the joints that all seize up?

Do they just need cleaning up and reoiling?

CHeers

Alex

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.