V5 10V spark plugs - Which are the best value for money

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
HI All,

I have just changed the oil on my V5 and want to change the spoark plugs as they are still the origional plugs and the cars done 140,000 miles.

On another note would you change the HT leads? Are there any performance ones that can be had for the same sort of money as normal ones? Do performance ones actually make any difference?

Cheers

Alex

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would really hope they're not the original plugs after that mileage!! Or do you mean they are OEM plugs that were replaced at the last service interval?

My experience with plugs has always brought me back to the NGK range, with whatever they suggest for your car. I've tried splitfires, iridium tipped, and all manner of variations and always considered them to be a waste of money. As I've not yet done a service on my V5, I was either going to go for my NGK tried and trusted option, or go to GSF and see what they have.

Again, the same applies to HT leads. You can buy thicker ones, performance ones, etc, but unless you're running a car that can take advantage of them, they're a waste of money. Just going for new branded ones will make a decent difference.

The only thing is I didn't think we had HT leads as such, I thought the coils were in the plug caps? Therefore the long lead going to the engine is actually a low tension lead, and not under as much stress as a HT lead would be? Although I have a 170 V5 so I don't know whether the 10v engine has a different ignition setup...

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
I would really hope they're not the original plugs after that mileage!! Or do you mean they are OEM plugs that were replaced at the last service interval?

My experience with plugs has always brought me back to the NGK range, with whatever they suggest for your car. I've tried splitfires, iridium tipped, and all manner of variations and always considered them to be a waste of money. As I've not yet done a service on my V5, I was either going to go for my NGK tried and trusted option, or go to GSF and see what they have.

Again, the same applies to HT leads. You can buy thicker ones, performance ones, etc, but unless you're running a car that can take advantage of them, they're a waste of money. Just going for new branded ones will make a decent difference.

The only thing is I didn't think we had HT leads as such, I thought the coils were in the plug caps? Therefore the long lead going to the engine is actually a low tension lead, and not under as much stress as a HT lead would be? Although I have a 170 V5 so I don't know whether the 10v engine has a different ignition setup...

The v5 170 has a different engine setup. The v5 150 has only 10valves and has 5 HT leads across the top of the engine -
27042009053.jpg

I went to my local parts store and he told me that the spark plugs specified for the v5 engine are Iridium, which means there is no cheap option. The good news though, he can do a set of 5 NGK spark plugs for £27.50. Don't bother with the ones on ebay as they're really overpriced, go to a local firm or GSF or somewhere like that.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Ah, ok so you don't suffer the never ending coil failures that plague the rest of us then! :)

I've just had a look at the NGK site for plugs, the BKR5EKUP for the 10v valve engine seem to be going for £30+ a set, so £27.50 sounds quite good. GSF's plugs are around the same price aswell, but I don't know what brand they use.

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Ah, ok so you don't suffer the never ending coil failures that plague the rest of us then! :)

I've just had a look at the NGK site for plugs, the BKR5EKUP for the 10v valve engine seem to be going for £30+ a set, so £27.50 sounds quite good. GSF's plugs are around the same price aswell, but I don't know what brand they use.

No but we do suffer the -20hp compared to the newer v5! :(

Yeah the local store seems good on price for plugs, still not as cheap as my old 106's plugs were though £1.50 each lol

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006

Bought those spark plugs. Will see what they are like. £30.75 posted to my door.

Do I need any special tools to remove the HT leads or plugs?

Cheers

Alex

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Fitted the plugs and they made a world of difference.

Idles so much better now. Havent taken it out on a run yet, but I wonder if the power delivery is any better.......

New problem ive found is the alternator etc belt is squeeking.

Have a bad feeling its the alternator now.

Does anyone know if you can get the alternator belt from GSF?

Id replace the belt and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers