Cupra Problem - Broken Gear Box Mount

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
I'd like to see it. I'll try and find out a bit more about mine too

I find my dealer helpful, still they let you me down now and then but they are only human. The service manager blamed my driving, he was joking of course. I have a good relationship with them so the service guy there was more than happy to show me when I asked, just ask nicely. I also told them it was because I wanted to share the info on here, they know I am on here alot.

Pic is here!

DSC00380.JPG

Last edited:

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
Still no joy with my car yet. The dealer hasn't had the parts, he said it looks like the part is in quite high demand although they do have an express order on one for me. The part they're fitting is a modified one from the one that was originally fitted so it deffo looks like Seat know about this problem.

Only pain being is I don't have a car still. On Sat the dealer was meant to be sorting out a hire car but this was only passed onto me via the receptionist and I was promised a call back which didn't happen. Now only today I find out they don't have any spares as they are all booked out. I called Seat Assist who recovered me as i've been managing without so far, and they've now said because it's more than 48 hours after i've been recovered i'm no longer entitled to a car. If my dealer had told me Sat they wouldn't have any spare cars I'd have been able to sort one out from Seat Assist. Looks like i'm gonna have to pay to hire one for a day or two as I can no longer live without.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Still no joy with my car yet. The dealer hasn't had the parts, he said it looks like the part is in quite high demand although they do have an express order on one for me. The part they're fitting is a modified one from the one that was originally fitted so it deffo looks like Seat know about this problem.

Hmmmm, I took my car in wed they looked at it thurs and they got the part next day. I am interested in the fact that they are going to be fitting a modified one, my dealer did not mention anything like that to me. Who knows with the stealers, so many different things are said. If there is a known problem I think there should be some sort of ref number, and I would expect with an issue like this one to be a recall?

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
I'm going to pop into the dealer in the morning as I'll be passing anyway so will try and find out if there's a ref number or anything for it.

If they're keeping my car any longer I'm going to drop in a list of a couple of other things they can look at which they broke when putting my roof lining back on.

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Had this happen on mine the bolt sheared (didn't get it done under warranty cause I'd fitted the uprated mounts) the vibration was due to engine moving forward an the dogbone getting wedged behend the gearbox. I had to helicoil mine as the thread was knackered.

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Had this happen on mine the bolt sheared (didn't get it done under warranty cause I'd fitted the uprated mounts) the vibration was due to engine moving forward an the dogbone getting wedged behend the gearbox. I had to helicoil mine as the thread was knackered.

Did you use new bolts when you uprated the mounts? I used golf bolts for mine, no problems so far...

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
I didn't IIRC I rushed it TBH it didn't go straight away about 6 months after. I replaced both bushes. I've since re-helicoiled it and made a support bracket. :D

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
Finally getting my car back tomorrow morning, only a week after it arrived at Seat (after it being at my work for 2 days cos I was too busy to sort it out) I'm getting my car back. Not fully fixed though, I'm getting it back with the gear box mount fixed but the air con damage they're still waiting for parts on. They don't expect them until tue next week.

Do you think I've got a chance of getting any money back from seat towards what I've had to pay for a hire car over the last 2 days? The garage said they didn't have any they could give me, seat assist said I wasn't entitled to a car as my car had been there more than 48 hours without me requesting a hire car.

Mark Burton

Mk 2 Leon FR Gearbox mount failure

Does anyone have any documentation from Seat relating to this problem, Ive got an issue with exactly the same thing happening to a 2007 Leon FR having done only 29k. The Lower gearbox stabiliser link (dog bone bracket) has its hole `stretched` , with the mounting bolt actually shearing off inside the threaded area in the gearbox. The engines then rocked to and fro damaging the air con pipes, as it had Deenj`s.

I need some back-up to confirm this is an issue on Leon FR`s, driven hard or not

Any help on this would be appreciated

Mark

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.