tinting question

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i am looking to tin my fr tdi soon, i don't want to go silly but i think a nice subtle tint will really add to the look of the car but i am not sure what to go for and i want it to be legal as well

now i don't know what the standard level of tint is on the leon so that will obviously make a difference, at the back i do not want it blacked out but i want the amount of light cut back to say the amount you can see standard on some cars or maybe a little more but i don't want it to look stupid. if anyone thinks they know what i mean and has pictures then that would be a big help i think so i can gauge what to look for

your windows will tell you the amount as standard, there will be a small percentage most mark in the corners, as far as i am aware most have 3% but some have 5%. To conform to legal requirements, strictly you aren't supposed to have anything on the front depending on who you ask. Really that isn't correct, in reality the windows have got to allow a certain degree of light through and i know some manufacturers fit windows wit a higher tint than three on the front, Land Rover for eg. Personally i think 10% on the front and 15% on all rears would look good and should see you hassle free. :)

this is my old cupra and i think from memory it's 20% tint

picture.php

Last edited:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
well it says tint and the number 5 on the glass so i guess its 5% tint then, checking the vosa website its 30% tint max on drivers and passenger front windows i think

looking at your picture i'd say front is about what i want, but the back i would want more personally

keaney

Jul 20, 2003
Cardiff ,Wales
Visit site
Hi,on my LC i have 25% rears and 15% on the front. I find this a nice combo,not to bad boy looking but dark enough to help keep it cool in the sun. Plus with the dark rears and black leather interior it makes the front windows look darker than they are and ive never had an issue with the police either.On the wifes octy she has 20% rears an factory 5% fronts,i think i will be getting the fronts done with a 10% due to the colour difference being to much for my taste,hope that helps.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Forward of the B pillar your windows must allow 70% VLT (Visible Light Transfer). This means that 70% of the light must be allowed to pass through. Windscreen is 75% VLT but no one is going to be daft enough to tint their windscreen anyway, are they?

Rear windows (back of the B pillar) you can tint all you want.

Also, 70% VLT doesn't mean you can apply 30% tint. Your standard windows will have approx 72% VLT with the factory tint, and remember clear glass doesn't allow 100% VLT anyway. So to stay legal you can't tint your front windows.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
I have 35% on fronts and 55% on all the rears. Not had any hassle from the fuzz.

Pics in the link below ;)

thanks for that mate, think your rears are about the exact amount i want on the back of mine.

as you can see from my thread here i feel that a tint not going over the top will really help set the stealth look i want for the car

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
I think a lot of this depends on where you live regarding the bizzies. Where I live no worries at all from them but drive half an hour away to Milton Keynes and they can treat you like a kidnapper! I'd say under normal circumstances 10-15% should be ok.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
I think a lot of this depends on where you live regarding the bizzies. Where I live no worries at all from them but drive half an hour away to Milton Keynes and they can treat you like a kidnapper! I'd say under normal circumstances 10-15% should be ok.

well i have never been stopped by the police when driving, was pulled over a week or so after getting my old car but it was only as i had just bought it

will definatley get the rears done soon anyway

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
Alot of traffic units now carry tintmasters, so it will pay to be sure you are legal.
VOSA of DfT will have the correct specs

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
Alot of traffic units now carry tintmasters, so it will pay to be sure you are legal.
VOSA of DfT will have the correct specs

already checked this so i know its 70% of lights on front drivers and passenger windows on VOSA website, problem is finding out how much tint is on the front currently to find out if there is any possibility of doing the front at all

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
Also, 70% VLT doesn't mean you can apply 30% tint. Your standard windows will have approx 72% VLT with the factory tint, and remember clear glass doesn't allow 100% VLT anyway. So to stay legal you can't tint your front windows.

Remember this tho:rolleyes:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Tint shops fall into 2 categories. Those who will tint and those who won't. Just because they're willing to tint doesn't mean that it'll be legal. I know of a couple of places that just plain refuse to tint front windows because it's easier than arguing the toss with someone who's been told they can have it done at another place.

As you say, the best way is to find out what level of tint you already have. If you wind down your window slightly and can see a difference, then you're pretty close to the legal limit. 70% VLT isn't much at all.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
what level you got on yours spud?

checked the difference on the front, there is a very slight difference but its difficult to tell unless you look very closely

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
How hard is tinting to do????
Do i need to take the door to bits??
Want to do my backs but not been brave enough yet!