The Car Wrap pics!!

dubnut71

Oct 9, 2007
wheres godstone near? where in surrey?

how gloss is the black gloss?
and will it be a cuple of hours to do or like a day for a roof?

Hello mate, godstone is here

The gloss black is "gloss" I am not sure how to answer any fruther but its as glossy as gloss black vinyl?!?:)

Roof should be half a day depends on the condition of the car and the prep required. Its worth noting that the car and film should be at the same temp overnight so its not worth hurrying the job!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hello mate, godstone is here

The gloss black is "gloss" I am not sure how to answer any fruther but its as glossy as gloss black vinyl?!?:)

Roof should be half a day depends on the condition of the car and the prep required. Its worth noting that the car and film should be at the same temp overnight so its not worth hurrying the job!

Well my cars hot :p

Last edited:

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
Like the look Graham.
Could you do the platic bit at the top edge of the bonnet, the bit that houses the washer jets. If so do you have any gloss black going spare?

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Im absolutely loving the colour !! :clap: Bloody good idea too :D Anymore going on there or are you leaving it as it is ?

dubnut71

Oct 9, 2007
Like the look Graham.
Could you do the platic bit at the top edge of the bumper, the bit that houses the washer jets. If so do you have any gloss black going spare?

Daffster, the top is grained so wil always be grained even with vinyl on it, worth a go though! It does come out pretty easy! PM Bry over on DW He'll hook ya up!!

Im absolutely loving the colour !! :clap: Bloody good idea too :D Anymore going on there or are you leaving it as it is ?

Its wickedly green! Come monday I am gonna strip the bumps and do the roof so its a full colour change wrap!!

dubnut71

Oct 9, 2007
Full green-ness is here!!!!:

DSC_6778.jpg

DSC_6782.jpg

DSC_6788.jpg

DSC_6794.jpg

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
well that looks awesome i have to say! Saw a wrapped mk5 golf gti at ed38 last year and you'd never tell it hadn't come out the factory like it :p Did you do the door shuts, under the bonnet etc? I know what colour I'd like mine doing and if its cheaper than a full respray then it's gotta be a bargain lol, plus as has been said before, I can revert back to Black Magic when I come to sell up, plus I'll have perfect paintwork underneath too :D

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
whilst Im here, I notice that its a Drive and Shine service.. did the car get fully detailed prior to the wrap application? Is that a requirement to having the wrap done? I had my car detailed last year by Shine On, also a Swissvax Detailer and the finish was second to none!

How do you go about protecting the wrap? Do you wax/seal it? Will it get swirls in it through poor washing technique etc? Will it scag at all if caught on bushes in narrow lanes or from stone chips on the motorway?

Apologies for all the questions but I'm really interested in this, albeit with absolutely no money to put into it lol :D

dubnut71

Oct 9, 2007
whilst Im here, I notice that its a Drive and Shine service.. did the car get fully detailed prior to the wrap application? Is that a requirement to having the wrap done? I had my car detailed last year by Shine On, also a Swissvax Detailer and the finish was second to none!

How do you go about protecting the wrap? Do you wax/seal it? Will it get swirls in it through poor washing technique etc? Will it scag at all if caught on bushes in narrow lanes or from stone chips on the motorway?

Apologies for all the questions but I'm really interested in this, albeit with absolutely no money to put into it lol :D

If you look really closely at the video you'll see that the other 2 people applying the film as well as me are Bryan from Drive n Shine and Paul from Shine on! Ironically when it came to prep the car for the wrap Paul (who's been on 5th gear hosting a piece about car washing) made the coffee and Bryan helped (sort of!!!) I washed it myself!!!!

Detailing prior to wrapping is not required mate. We washed the car with a prep solution to strip all the previous wax / sealant ( a mixture of swissvax and Zaino) and then took it inside to make sure it was perfectly dry and then prepp'd it with our solvent. The car is then "bare" under the wrap. This is essential for a good finish and strong adhesion. The wrap can swirl but can be corrected using normal polishes with a small degree of fill this is preferably done by hand. I have already had someone open their door against the wrap and managed to "heal" the slight indentation using the heat technique we use in application. if its seriously chipped etc then its just a single panel to re-wrap , simple !!:)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Looks an excellent job and from what I've seen already, requires a fair bit of skill to do a whole car/big panels. Nice one :thumbup:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise