Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I received the custom Forge actuator this morning, looks superb. I asked them if they could come up with a better arm shape as the ATP one seems wrong to me and doesn't push the wastegate straight, so they came up with this:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/forgeact01.jpg
http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/forgeact02.jpg

Here it is fitted, perfect angle and fit! :D It has a 1 BAR spring in it.

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/forgeact03.jpg

After adjusting it to add some pre-load (big thanks to CR Turbos for the advice on how to set it up), I went off for a drive down a quiet country road to set the Apexi up, with a different actuator and intercooler the duty cycle was way off.

After a few runs and adjustments ... I now have it boosting to 1.5 BAR and it is SUPERB!!!

Huge thanks to Forge and CR Turbos for the help and advice - amazing companies to deal with. :clap:

Only downer is that the WMI isn't working, when it comes on boost I just get a flashing amber LED which means there is a fault somewhere. :( :think:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Nothing special but as I hadn't fitted and pre-loaded an actuator before I asked CR Turbos for advice. They said:

"Hi Rob,
As a general rule of thumb it works out to be about half the hole on the rod end. (3-5mm) You should physicall have to stretch the rod down to get it to on. Without pre-tension the wastegate will not be held shut, so it will not build boost pressure correctly.
"

I did around 5mm and it seems to be spot on.

Forge asked me what boost pressure I was running, I said 1.5 BAR was the goal, so they fitted a 1 BAR spring, the boost controller solenoid does the rest.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
One question for you guys running WMI kits - which way do you have the hoses plumbed in to your pumps? The Devils Own instructions are contradicting themselves, the picture diagram shows them fitted one way, with the reservoir going to the left side, but the written instructions say it's the other way??? I have a funny feeling it's the hoses are the wrong way round on mine, hence the fault.

jamiebennett81

Don't need it, I have a bar and plate intercooler rated to 350bhp, aiming for 325bhp with no intention of going further, so I don't need the PA intercooler. just because it's huge and rated to 450bhp doesn't make it necessary, smaller bar and plate IC will be more efficient for my intended power level.

Rob...

a little confused, you said you did not need a huge intercooler, but now you have gone for a race spec Forge FMIC?:confused:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Got it for a great price. As said before, bar and plate intercoolers can be smaller as they transfer heat better, but tube and fin need to be larger, plus the ebay cooler I tried wasn't that good. I now believe that the Forge big race is superior to the Pro Alloy IC after trying both - so it's all good.

jamiebennett81

Got it for a great price. As said before, bar and plate intercoolers can be smaller as they transfer heat better, but tube and fin need to be larger, plus the ebay cooler I tried wasn't that good. I now believe that the Forge big race is superior to the Pro Alloy IC after trying both - so it's all good.

interesting comparison, in what ways would you say it is superior?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Car is running superb now at 1.5 BAR of boost, really rips along at quite a rate, not laggy at all! :D

The Devils Own progressive controller is dead, has been from day one, so I have to send it back to the USA to get a replacement under warranty - not a great start.

I also have to machine polish out a nice big scuff I found on my rear bumper after it had been at Star Performance - not impressed at all.

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
I also have to machine polish out a nice big scuff I found on my rear bumper after it had been at Star Performance - not impressed at all.

Hmm.. Not good! Have you asked them about it?

Good to hear your happy with the car. Pity the DO controller is duff though!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
3500rpm full boost, just about right for me, I don't want full boost or torque at 2000rpm - nothing but wheelspin!!! You never got to feel the hybrid GT2X at its full potential Jamie due to a poor install and map by the sounds of it. Mine genuinely doesn't feel laggy at all, I've driven ball-bearing GT28RS Leon's before so can compare them to mine.

jamiebennett81

3500rpm full boost, just about right for me, I don't want full boost or torque at 2000rpm - nothing but wheelspin!!! You never got to feel the hybrid GT2X at its full potential Jamie due to a poor install and map by the sounds of it. Mine genuinely doesn't feel laggy at all, I've driven ball-bearing GT28RS Leon's before so can compare them to mine.

hmmm, disagree really Rob, 3500rpm for boost but without the BT power punch. Each to their own:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members