DaNnY_LaD's IHI'd Cupra ( End Of a Eara 08/11/2009)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Thanks everyone...

Spoke to Kev and he does Do the Revo stage 3 for the ibiza cupra ( ecu ) :D

Manifold has arrived today along with some other bits..But im still undesided weather to use a Manifold to Turbo gasket?

Custom is the way to go on such a hybrid build.

good luck if you choose revo with your hardware

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Looks just like my manifold. Only difference is I have relief cuts between the runners. If the mating surface has been milled flat then you shouldn't need a gasket. I have a gasket on mine but that's because I didn't know any better at the time and it's been fine.
You could talk to Bill about sleeving the manifold and turbine inlet, which would definately seal it if your worried but at extra cost.

The spanner size for the nuts is 12mm, but I don't know the thread size off the top of my head.

M8 threads on head to mani studs

Danny:
12:9 grade wont be that grade at extreme temps @ turbo

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
M8 threads on head to mani studs

Danny:
12:9 grade wont be that grade at extreme temps @ turbo

Yeah I read that Bill too..Was on a thread a while back when a few of you lot were discussing the Bolts ect..

Its better than normal cheap bolts tho surely/?

I can upgrade from stage 2 revo to stage 3 for £150 inc VAT and from what ive read and heard it would work very well..

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
More parts arrived today :D

So going to start bolting it all together this weekend...Just waiting for jabba to ring me about these coolant and oil lines...

What we thinking here for the manifold

Gasket or Gasketless...If i go gasket less i dont have to put any exhaust paste on it do i ? Both Clean & flat services bolted togther?

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
id go gasketless because then if it does blow it normally seals with heat.
with a gasket, once it blows, it always blows

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
id go gasketless because then if it does blow it normally seals with heat.
with a gasket, once it blows, it always blows

lol Thats a good point hooch..

So i should just butt both surfaces together no exhaust assemble paste needed?

Also Been chatting to a few people and there sayin bolt the Turbo to the manifold 1st then bolt the manifold to head?

Last edited:

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I found it nigh on impossible to attach the oil inlet line with the turbo bolted to the manifold. I much prefer to bolt on the manifold to get to all the nuts and the then the turbo. Personal preference, you might find it easier the other way round. This is with the drive shaft removed so you can get at everything from underneath.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
mount manifold to head, then hotside to manifold (possibly with downpipe outlet on, then assemble cartridge into hotside with its pipes all connected up ready, tighten vband,

its fiddly as fcuk

good luck

(top mount all the way ;) )

Wilko

Badge snob
Bolt manifold to head.
Attach oil line to turbo. Other end not attached to oil filter housing. Easier with braided line than the standard line.
Bolt turbo to manifold.
With the right spanners (stubbies), it's a doddle.
I've done it roughly 20 times, and its easy.
Do not use a gasket. It will fail. But make sure the non threaded section of the studs between the turbo and manifold is thinner than the turbo flange, or the turbo will not sit tight.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bolt manifold to head.
Attach oil line to turbo. Other end not attached to oil filter housing. Easier with braided line than the standard line.
Bolt turbo to manifold.
With the right spanners (stubbies), it's a doddle.
I've done it roughly 20 times, and its easy.
Do not use a gasket. It will fail. But make sure the non threaded section of the studs between the turbo and manifold is thinner than the turbo flange, or the turbo will not sit tight.

the 20 times you have done this, relates to the reliability of IHI's and that setup.. I walked away from my Jabba setup way sooner after getting pi$$ed off with it having to come apart so often with reliability issues on blowing this and that gaskets (with and without gaskets) - I cried enough and not looked back since.

fitting the manifold to head remains one of the shitest jobs ever, only recently surpassed by the JBS/tigArt tubular thing I removed off JB's leon.. (head off job). thinking tho, this one Dannys got is'nt JS mani is it and looks like real spanners may in fact work! :funk:

It does'nt take long to design a manifold which has allowance for real spanners, and yet so many manufacturers ignore these things have to be fitted.. shame. ruin an otherwise good job. :(

Wilko

Badge snob
the 20 times you have done this, relates to the reliability of IHI's and that setup.. :(

Some has to do with me pushing vf34's past their limit, but a lot has to do with me never having enough, and constantly looking for more power.
The manifold is not perfect, and yes they crack, but the cracks close up when hot, and it's relatively quick to remove and refit when you've done it a few times.

I reckon 2 hours from wheels up, it's all off, and about the same to refit. That includes wheels off, drive shafts our etc. 2 or 3 modified spanners, but that's no biggy.

There are obviously superior kit out there, but to change would be new,manifold, down pipe, all oil and water lines, intake, boost pipes etc, and probably the thick end of 3 grand.

The js kit was designed to use a lot of the standard pipes to keep the costs down, and give low 300's hp. It did this very successfully.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
I've Had abit of a play with it and i can get a full 13mm spanner on the nuts to the head...I could'nt beleive it...

Ive got plenty of room to when tightening up the bolts from turbo/manifold...more than i expected,Does seem easyer if i Mount the oil lines to the tubo first then feed it round the engine ..

Does'nt seem too bad but i can see how you lot ment about '' Tight'' with the downpipe with that rear engine mount lol..
Just looking for a place todo my Rods before it gets mapped i could do it my self as i know how todo it...Just doing the timing belt that worrys me as ive never done one before lol...

Bill If you Mapped it what Boost would you run the Vf23 at? Would it have a spike and then settle..? I want todo my engine before a remap the Reason me asking is im Making a 3'' Tip my self So if i go revo stage 3 i wont need to buy a 5mm Self sealing Bung...If i run a N75 i will...
Revo Kev & Ibiza Alex Seem that the Gt2860 file would work really well ive just gotta peg my boost @ 1.5bar via a Mbc Its also the Cheapest Option too as they both garrentted me it would make Really good power...

Its just my injectors thats the Problem,Im running Bosch blue 470cc Injectors & running them @ 4bar Makes them 540cc...so it isnt that far out from the Genisis 550cc Injectors..

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
My injectors at 4.5bar are 570cc but that is a very good point hooch...

But is it todo with the spray pattern also.? between the bosch & Genisis...

I have a AFR,Boost,Oil Temp on the car at the moment...Just haven't got round to sourcing a EGT as of yet...If revo is the software i choose il have to buy a SPS3 wouldnt i?

Last edited:

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
wouldnt bother with sps3 myself. just get it setup and leave it.

ive got a adjustable fpr if you like. just over 4.1bar would be 550cc

HoocH

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
wouldnt bother with sps3 myself. just get it setup and leave it.

ive got a adjustable fpr if you like. just over 4.1bar would be 550cc

HoocH

So i could use revo stage 3 with a adjustable fpr? which makes them 550cc?

Plus Im having no luck with jabba as they aint gettin back to me..So ive been offered these for £33 there out of the JBS ihi 16g kit...There only the coolant lines
GetAttachmentlklk-1.jpg

Plus HTC said i can use my OEM k03 Oil feed i just need a larger banjo bolt from js...

So im on the look out for a K03 Oil feed line..

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I've Had abit of a play with it and i can get a full 13mm spanner on the nuts to the head...I could'nt beleive it...

Ive got plenty of room to when tightening up the bolts from turbo/manifold...more than i expected,Does seem easyer if i Mount the oil lines to the tubo first then feed it round the engine ..

Does'nt seem too bad but i can see how you lot ment about '' Tight'' with the downpipe with that rear engine mount lol..
Just looking for a place todo my Rods before it gets mapped i could do it my self as i know how todo it...Just doing the timing belt that worrys me as ive never done one before lol...

Bill If you Mapped it what Boost would you run the Vf23 at? Would it have a spike and then settle..? I want todo my engine before a remap the Reason me asking is im Making a 3'' Tip my self So if i go revo stage 3 i wont need to buy a 5mm Self sealing Bung...If i run a N75 i will...
Revo Kev & Ibiza Alex Seem that the Gt2860 file would work really well ive just gotta peg my boost @ 1.5bar via a Mbc Its also the Cheapest Option too as they both garrentted me it would make Really good power...

Its just my injectors thats the Problem,Im running Bosch blue 470cc Injectors & running them @ 4bar Makes them 540cc...so it isnt that far out from the Genisis 550cc Injectors..

good luck doing it with revo code for another spec.

you crack me up with your constant changing of mind.. :rolleyes:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.