IHI VF34 Conversion Pics **Now with a TD05H-18G**

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
No updates yet. Still in Saudi at the mo. Only thing new from the last post was taking Bill's advice and enlarging the wastegate port and smoothing the entry. Will post pictures when I can.

As mentioned the flanges fit. Possibility of having to shave a casting off the back of the block to fit, but I'll see when I fit it. You need new water lines. VF34 is 12mm banjo, TD is 14mm. Not sure which type of lines you have caveo. I have later ones than you, so just need an adapter for the outlet. I'll cut and reweld the line for the feed using the banjo that came with the turbo.

Phil_m is building one also. He might be further along than me.

I'm also still waiting on details of head work from "the man in the shed". I need new valve guides fitting.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
My car is on the back burner for the moment. I'm working abroad much more now. It will progress when I have some more time off.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Thought I'd post another update. Got round to fitting a FMIC today. I went to a rolling road and found that the BF SMIC I had totally heat soaked after just one run. Basically useless. Also I'd been pulling alot of timing.

FMIC_006_640x480.jpg

FMIC_011_640x480.jpg

FMIC_021_640x480.jpg

FMIC_022_640x480.jpg

FMIC_032_640x480.jpg

FMIC_034_640x480.jpg

FMIC_037_640x480.jpg

FMIC_038_640x480.jpg

FMIC_041_640x480.jpg

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Thanks. Usually I'd say fitting one wouldn't make a huge difference but my previous IC wasn't anywhere near up to the task. I'm going to run some logs and compare to the last intercooler, but so far it feels like it has more torque. I know it had been pulling enough timing to notice and it would missfire a little (old school ECU protection).
Now at the same boost level of 1.5bar it hasn't yet pulled back on me.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Quick question to those in the know. I have a 70mm throttle body kicking around at home. The IC pipework is 63mm (2.5"). Would a larger throttle body make any difference or would it be a waste of time fitting it?

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
18G is still in my bedroom. Working away so much I hardly get time to play with the car. I have to fit new rods and valves first then get onto the turbo. Having trouble finding a shop that will do a quick turnaround to fit some new guides and lap the valves in. I can rebuild it all myself, but I might as well get the guides done as the head is a high miler. Might end up getting a second hand head to keep mine on the road.
Can't make inters as I'm working unfortunately.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Alright HTC..

I'm wondering did you eve get round to fitting the 18G?.

As you now ive got exact same setup as you and currently having my engine rebuild...

So far ivr got :

Methanol kit & Genesis 550cc injectors...

how much was your 18G as im still waiting on a company called andyforrest to ring me back about a price on the 18G...
In a earlier post you said you can see some clearance issues...Is it gonna be a PITA to fit with the underslung manifold?

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Wilko ran one of these on his Golf and he ran a 5mm spacer to bring it away from the block iirc.it made 365bhp with similar spool to the ihi.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise