Front Coilover Suspension Failure

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
Just thought I'd better post this for anyone else that may be waiting on this happening or thinking of purchasing G-max suspension in the future.

A Couple of days ago I started hearing a knocking noise from the front nearside or my Leon Cupra. There seemed to be a fair bit of play in the rear wishbone bush on NSF so I assumed it was this, but tonight been down to my friends garage to investigate this properly.
Just to find that my strut has excessive play in it infact u can noticeably wiggle it from side to side and also the cap that is supposed to be holding the shiny middle section has popped up and my thoughts were has this allowed gas/oil to escape from the strut?

My mate the mechanic tells me this will be a new coilover time but i am pretty annoyed as they have only been on the car for 14months.
Daren't drive the car now until I fix it as i don't want the strut collapsing on me.

Has anyone else had issue with G-Max or other suspension of this type, and also does anyone know of a decent suspension company who will sell me 2 front coilovers without rears if I need them?

All help Much Appreciated!

Last edited:

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
had this happen before, the actual shock absorber itself, fits inside the strut and that cap that has came loose just tightens back up and holds it in place, common for them to come lose had it hapen myself on a golf and a few people i know. it isnt holding the shocker piston in there tight anymore and causes it to knock and move. you will find if you take the suspension strut off and tighten up that ring/cap or however its described (shiny middle section) put some loctite on it and give it a good tighten. should be two holes/indents get a hammer and good tool (drift or old hammer thru screwdriver) and knock the ring round untill its tight. should do the job. no gas or fluid would have escaped from here you will find if you take the cap off the actualy unit will be inside of the leg and then you will be suprised how they are made. just like some universal application and the legs are made to fit the car and just have a shock absorber insert inside.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
unfortunately cheap suspension does this - my FK highsports had this problem after about a year too.
I've learned my lesson - I went to Koni FSD's after that which were great, and no probs at all. I'll definately be spending more dosh on my suspension kits in the future!

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
Just got off the phone to G-max and they have confirmed that you can tighten the cap up but it may keep coming out every 8months or there abouts. Hopefully some locktite will cure the problem.
Better check the other side while i'm at it

If anyone needs them G-Max does have a phone number despite the website saying they do not:
Contact Number for G-Max Suspension - 01525 383055

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
Just for information in case anyone else reads this, i managed to screw the cap back in with some loctite threadlocker on it and the suspension has been fine since.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.