couple of little LCR niggles. Anyone help?

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
My LCR didn't seem to be going so well yesterday/last night. Hadn'd seemed to be pulling quite so hard through the day, and the noise i get when the turbo spools up, didn't seem so loud. Then later on in the night, i seemed to lose most/all of my boost. The car was still going okay, but didn't seem to have any turbo kick to it. And it wasn't like last time i poped a hose off, as that time, performance was dire, and i had loads of noise from the boost leaking. This time there was no noise at all.
Seeing as it was late though, i just came home and left it.
This morning i had a look incase i might of popped any boost hoses off, but couldn't really notice anything wrong. Apart from this pipe, which seems to be some kind of oil vent pipe or something? Correct me if i'm wrong.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Also when i was looking about, under the manifold, i noticed 2 other things. There is something that looks to me like some kind of temperature probe, which isnt connected to wherever it's meant to be. The wire for it has been wrapped up a bit, and just cable tied up.
IMG_0043-1.jpg

Then when i looked down between the 2nd and 3rd inlet tracts on the manifold, i could see what looks like a pipe that has been blanked off.
IMG_0042-1.jpg

I don't know what this bit is. Comes out of the block?

Can anyone shed any light on any of the things i've mentioned?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mike2926

vroom vroom
Mar 18, 2009
Just outside Colchester
that connect looks like the probe for the EGT sensor, i have just (about 10 mins ago) taken my car into the garage to have a new one fitted. this senses the temperature of the gases and sends the info to the ecu. if this isnt connected your car will be in a "semi" limp mode and wont boost up very much.

im afraid that the only bit i can help with.

cheers and good luck

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
that connect looks like the probe for the EGT sensor, i have just (about 10 mins ago) taken my car into the garage to have a new one fitted. this senses the temperature of the gases and sends the info to the ecu. if this isnt connected your car will be in a "semi" limp mode and wont boost up very much.

im afraid that the only bit i can help with.

cheers and good luck

Are you sure about that? The EGT is situated in the back of the turbo!

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
that probe there is the EGT from the rear of the turbo, on exhaust side. mine actually came out the other day and sounded like it was blowing really loud untill i put it back in. i dont know how it came out i mustnt have tightened it up enough or it got that hot and worked its way out slowly. but anyway it came out and it sounded like the manifold had droped off it was that loud. if it isnt in there has it fell out of the turbo or has it had a turbo replacement which doesnt have the sensor in the turbo? which would be an earlier k04. 022 i think. 023 has the sensor probe and most people think they are only on BAM engines but there are also on later AMK mine has one. but it wouldnt run right with that sensor out anyway if it is supposed to be there to detect temperature.

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
Thanks for the reply. So i shouldn't worry about the blanked off pipe.
So this EGT probe, it should be in the turbo? Because the wire for it is all wrapped up, at the front of then engine bay, underneath the inlet manifold. It should run all the way around the engine, to the back of the turbo? (against the bulkhead?)
I don't know if it's had a replacement turbo or not, i've only had the car about 7 weeks. Would i be able to tell if it had had one?
Where on the turbo exactly should this EGT probe be, so i can have a feel about and find out what's going on.
Mine's a 54 reg Cupra R, so should be a BAM 225 i think?

mike2926

vroom vroom
Mar 18, 2009
Just outside Colchester
the sensr has two ends, a big plastic bit that "plugs in" arund the back of the turbo an the other bit (the bit in the picture) plugs in munder the inlet manifold.

cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise