LCR cold air feed idea

swilky23

Jul 3, 2008
rochdale
but doesnt that cold air go through a very hot turbo? wouldnt be better to just get a fmic? i have induction kit with original cold feed. thought was only important to get cold air to cars which dont have turbos as cold air is denser, wouldnt of thought on a turbo car the air being cool would matter so much as it gets very hot when traveing through the turbo? after been through turbo gets cooled throght the intercoolers.

I am just going off what i have read which is basically the more air the better. Weather cold or not makes a difference I could not vouch for

Patch

but doesnt that cold air go through a very hot turbo? wouldnt be better to just get a fmic? i have induction kit with original cold feed. thought was only important to get cold air to cars which dont have turbos as cold air is denser, wouldnt of thought on a turbo car the air being cool would matter so much as it gets very hot when traveing through the turbo? after been through turbo gets cooled throght the intercoolers.

It's not about getting cold air to the filter,if you look at his pic he's making the most of the air coming in from the std hole in the grille directing it to his cone filter via the pipes.
And to answer your question regarding a fmic,yes it would be better to run one but from what i understand the twin inter cooler set up on a cupra R is more than up to the job.

Anyone with any sense knows that a cai is mounted down near the front bumper;)

Patch

though compression, thought compression happens in the engine (cylinder) after been cooled by the intercooler, not in the turbo?

I guess we have to go back to basics here:rolleyes:

An turbo is an air compressor,when you compress air you end up with lots of heat.The idea is to get that compressed air as cold as possible before it goes into the engine to mix with fuel and be ignited.

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
I guess we have to go back to basics here:rolleyes:

An turbo is an air compressor,when you compress air you end up with lots of heat.The idea is to get that compressed air as cold as possible before it goes into the engine to mix with fuel and be ignited.

which is why the air goes through the intercoolers. i have a front mount and added over 30 torques alone an dont get heat soak like i did with my twin intercoolers. twin were ok when didnt have map but when i added my front mount got a good amount of torque,

Ovni_cupraR

Yellow Peril
Oct 25, 2008
Maidstone, Kent
Well my air feed arrived a couple of days ago and I routed it the way I suggested and tbh I haven't noticed any difference at all, so now i've got it running down the other side of the battery (same as oem route) and it still hasn't made a difference. Although I think it is because it is just connected the that corner piece of plastic behind the headlight which has a diameter of about 50mm so it seems pointless having my 76mm air feed connected to that. I tried to disconnect but it seems really hard and wont budge! I think its a headlight off jobby. It's the bit just underneath where I have circled:

P3100300-2.jpg

Anyway since getting my green open cone I can't help but feel the car performed better with the standard airbox. The only two reasons I can think of for this is 1) The weather has been quite hot lately and 2) Heatsoak due to the open cone.

I'm beginning to wish I just went for the safe option of a drilled and smoothed airbox with a green panel filter and larger air feed.

I'm now thinking of making a heatshield some how, similar to the jabbasport design. Has anyone attempted this?

cheers

glenryck

I put two 75mm air ducts on my lcr with a drilled air box, one to replace the standard small one whitch i cut out from behind the headlight and one where you have marked out on yuor picture. I also fitted a 56mm flexie duct from behind the front fog light grill up in front of the intercooler up behind the headlight pointing into the 75 mm duct running along side the battery it was very tricky but it works. Maybe you could try this to get the cold air into your cone.???

mihooV5

Jun 28, 2014
Cold air induction kit

Hi,

I'm planning to fit a cone in my Tolly and would appreciate some pictures on how it's done in your cars...

Cheers:)

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
I know there are many arguments about this but put a heat shield around the filter to protect it somewhat from the heat in the bay

mihooV5

Jun 28, 2014
I know yet I'm most likely going to cover the filter to protect it from the heat. I think it's going to give better performance.

Sean886

May 15, 2014
I'm gonna fit focus vents in the bonnet to try and remove some of the hot air out, combined with a heat shield should be fairly effective

Apr 12, 2008
I'm gonna fit focus vents in the bonnet to try and remove some of the hot air out, combined with a heat shield should be fairly effective

I'm not 100% convinced on the effects of bonnet vents. The car has been designed to take air in through the front, and then it exit out the back. As the air leaves the back, it in turn sucks though air from the other parts of the engine bay.
Adding vents could possibly disrupt this process. If you create a path of lesser resistance, cold air may well just be sucked in through the vents and straight out the back, bypassing parts of the engine.

I'm not saying adding vents will not help keep engine temps down, i'm also not professing to know anything about thermal dynamics, however, i do know that there is a lot more to engine cooling than adding more holes.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.