whirring noise

RobG

Aug 22, 2002
Nr Romford
Visit site
questions again!
nothing worrying but when i first start up and for the first minute or so there is something whirring, like a pump (air-con off) which then shuts down. if you rev to about 3k rpm it starts up again for a few seconds.

i though it could be this electic water pump thing which cools the turbo after the engine stops, does it pump oil up too to protect the turbo when cold?

any suggestions?
rob

Silence

So is this noise normal? As my car does the same on cold mornings...

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Should do it when the engine is cold weather the outside temp is hot or cold..........It pumps cold air into the cat to reduce emmisions on start up I think.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
The rivets that hold the pump together come apart and the pump leeks and makes more noise, easily fixed by drilling rivets out and replacing it with nuts and bolts.

JasKandola1

Crime Does Pay..!!
Dec 9, 2008
Derby
cool cheers mate, its not a big job is it? do you have any idea where its located, so i can take a look?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yeah I done mine las month.

Its on drivers side at front of engine....has the 2 plastic pipes coming off it that go across the engine bay.

Just remove it, drill rivets out and replace with 4mm bolts

If its leaking bad you will also get the incorect flow fault code come up.

Silence

My car also makes a strange squeak on start up as well, only on cold mornings though. Would this be caused by the secondary air pump??

JasKandola1

Crime Does Pay..!!
Dec 9, 2008
Derby
Yeah I done mine las month.

Its on drivers side at front of engine....has the 2 plastic pipes coming off it that go across the engine bay.

Just remove it, drill rivets out and replace with 4mm bolts

If its leaking bad you will also get the incorect flow fault code come up.

cheers adam,

no ive not had the fault come up so it shouldnt be that bad, il give it a shot tonight

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Mine does it every time I start the engine from cold no matter what the weather is.

Usually lasts about 1-2 mins.

I think it also cuts in sometimes when I pull up at junctions etc as I can hear something very simular and its not the rad fan.

JasKandola1

Crime Does Pay..!!
Dec 9, 2008
Derby
Mine does it every time I start the engine from cold no matter what the weather is.

Usually lasts about 1-2 mins.

I think it also cuts in sometimes when I pull up at junctions etc as I can hear something very simular and its not the rad fan.

yeah, thats the exact problem i have, when i come to a junction for the first time after a cold start, it will do it for 10 secs or so, and wont happen again

o ok, cool il search for it, cheers pal

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
yeah, thats the exact problem i have, when i come to a junction for the first time after a cold start, it will do it for 10 secs or so, and wont happen again

o ok, cool il search for it, cheers pal

Its not really a problem as there surposed to do it.........even when fixed there quite noisy but they do sound like a jet plane when there leaking :cartman:

JasKandola1

Crime Does Pay..!!
Dec 9, 2008
Derby
:lol:o right, i must not have noticed it before it was leaking, but one day it just started makin really loud noises, i just ignore it and put the music up lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.