s3 seat's weight

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Bloody Heavy!

I replaced the front seats from my S3 (full nappa leather, airbags,heated, electric recline etc) with Recaro Speeds. I nearly put my back out lifting a single S3 seat whereas the Speeds were light as a feather in comparison.
When I put the speeds in the LCR I remember thinking the LCR seats were only a little heavier than the speeds.

I'd say they are at least double the weight if not 3 times. The S3 felt more urgent without them in.

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
would you say more than 30kg a seat though? got to find a way of getting them from england to scotland without making a bad ass trip myself lol

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
id say 40-45kg maybe.

Wow, just to confirm you are saying the S3 recaro leather heated/electirc seats are about 40kg+ more than the standard LCR seats. This would really slow the car down IMO.Did anyone ever find an exact weight per seat.

I am currenlty in the process of buying a set of S3 leather recaro's from a 2003 S3, might not get them if this is the case.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I've picked up a seat of these then picked up my LCR seat straight after.

I'd say the LCR ones are 15-20Kgs and the S3 ones 40Kgs ish.

So with two seats in there your looking at dgagging about 40Kgs more than you need to.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
but their nice tho , , if your bothered about weight youd go for carbon seats ???

coul dalways loose exess weight to rectify , ,

but then your butchering things apart , spare wheels a good start , sound deadening etc

cant see you loosing 80kgs tho

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if its 40kg extra once the pair's fitted that's about 6 stone or a full tank of fuel ish

mind you if you believe some of the stats a Cupra R is 54kg heavier than the original Cupra anyway

1376kg -1322kg

Last edited:
May 13, 2007
Denmark
One seat with electrical stuff weights 37 kg, I know a company which stripped out a S3 for racing and put nearly everything on a scale.

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
defo over 30kg i nearly broke my back thinking they where light when i got my set. Worth it though. Still to fit the electrics on mine though which can be a little challenging. I got the wiring loom from a site so shall update my thread once done.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I've picked up a seat of these then picked up my LCR seat straight after.

I'd say the LCR ones are 15-20Kgs and the S3 ones 40Kgs ish.

So with two seats in there your looking at dgagging about 40Kgs more than you need to.

Thanks Willie, i am really on 2 minds whether to get them now, i can pic them up cheap, about £350 in good condition.The weight thing bothers me though, it would undo a lot of my performance mods in one fowl swoop.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
The weight thing bothers me though, it would undo a lot of my performance mods in one fowl swoop.

I doubt that would be the case your only talking an extra 34kg that’s not really going to affect your 269bhp LCR, I was watching wheeler Dealers and they were making a porsche 944 turbo into a track car and the seats in there with eight way electrical weighed 23kg each, the S3 ones are only 4 way so have two motors less, I find it difficult to believe they are 14kg heavier.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Phill

34Kgs is quite alot TBH.
There is a formual that states something like for every 1Kg saved = 0.1BHP

With a 1,356Kgs car 34Kgs its self won't make much difference, but combined with stripping out the other interior and engine parts not needed it all soon adds up.
Also the less weight your carrying the better fuel economy you get.

Win win with a lighter car

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Phill

34Kgs is quite alot TBH.
There is a formual that states something like for every 1Kg saved = 0.1BHP

With a 1,356Kgs car 34Kgs its self won't make much difference, but combined with stripping out the other interior and engine parts not needed it all soon adds up.
Also the less weight your carrying the better fuel economy you get.

Win win with a lighter car

Yes in your case that’s true, but my point is that in a normal road going car 34kg is not a lot it’s not even half my weight, a full tank of fuel or a boot full of shopping will be more, all I’m saying it’s not worth not having the seats if you’re not planning on running it as a track car. RS Smith is not going to notice the potential loss of 3.4bhp from his 269. ;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yes in your case that’s true, but my point is that in a normal road going car 34kg is not a lot it’s not even half my weight, a full tank of fuel or a boot full of shopping will be more, all I’m saying it’s not worth not having the seats if you’re not planning on running it as a track car. RS Smith is not going to notice the potential loss of 3.4bhp from his 269. ;)
Yup, suppose.
But still more gain than a CAI kit will give you so a gain is a gain.

As you said more for my choice of car use.

If you could afford carbon seats thats the way to go but at £1,000 a pop theres better gains to be gotten for cheaper.