FR TDi or Cupra? (based on mileage)

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
Hi, just wanted a rough opinion on what car people would get based on my minimum weekly mileage. I do absolute minimum 360 miles a week. But it will always be more then that. I have test driven a Fr TDi MK2 2009 facelift model, and felt as with the pre-facelift model it lacking a bit of ommpff! (technical term ;) )
Based on the above would you get a Fr TDi (my head says this + remap) or a Cupra? :drool:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Don't know much about the Mk2's but with a map and DPF removal you should anticipate about 220/230bhp which is very tempting plus all the benefits of mpg.

I know I'm tempted by the Mk2 (eventually) because of this.

There are a couple of sponsors that do this on here.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I do 250 miles a week in the FR TDi.

Costs me roughly 30 pounds a week in v-power. To do the same mileage in a petrol would probably set me back 50-60 pounds a week.

If you're paying for your petrol, it's a no brainer really.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
You'll be spending at least £125 more a month in the cupra (based on my quick calc). That's pretty hard to ignore.

I wouldn't even test drive the cupra if I were you. Otherwise you'll definitely want one ;)

Poverty

if its motorway miles the cupra can do over 40mpg if you stick to 65-70mph. Get stuck in traffic and you will suffer though ;)

shaw25

Nov 1, 2008
north lanarkshire
All last week asda petrol and diesel were both 99.9 and on my way home tonight
the petrol was 100.9 and diesel still 99.9:D. The point being as prices are so even and diesels getting more and more mpg never been a better time to buy a diesel imo.

Poverty

All last week asda petrol and diesel were both 99.9 and on my way home tonight
the petrol was 100.9 and diesel still 99.9:D. The point being as prices are so even and diesels getting more and more mpg never been a better time to buy a diesel imo.

it wont last :lol:

Dont ask me why cause I cant remember but some bmw insider was telling me how petrol technology will catch up with the dirty dervs

tommot

I do 300+ miles a week and have covered over 30,000 miles in the past year in my Cupra... A diesel might have been a bit cheaper but I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much!!

Even making good progress on the motorways if you drive smoothly you can still get 30ish mpg - you can also get a lot less than that but it is doable. My best is about 38mpg over 200 miles on the A1 at a steady 70ish.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I had the Cupra for 15 months / 14K miles and now run a TT TDi which is the same CR engine as the new FR.

I know the TT will be a fair bit lighter than the Leon which goes someway towards it, but like for like driving the TT does 20 mpg more than my Cupra did.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi, just wanted a rough opinion on what car people would get based on my minimum weekly mileage. I do absolute minimum 360 miles a week. But it will always be more then that. I have test driven a Fr TDi MK2 2009 facelift model, and felt as with the pre-facelift model it lacking a bit of ommpff! (technical term ;) )
Based on the above would you get a Fr TDi (my head says this + remap) or a Cupra? :drool:

hmmmm not so sure why you say the FRtdi lacks ommpff as you put it , they are great torquey cars and will catch a lot of higher power cars out.
My girlfreind has one and real road conditions if i am in the wrong gear she pulls on me easily.
For mileage i would say its up to your budget if you can arfford £50 - 60 a week then buy a Cupra , if you cant buy a diesel , you wont regret buying a diesel FR though , infact if i was given the diesel every time i had a courtsey car the pain would not have been as much.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Dont ask me why cause I cant remember but some bmw insider was telling me how petrol technology will catch up with the dirty dervs

I was told by a very qualified (probably one of their most quliafied in the country) BMW service manager that the next M5 will be a diesel. Was on the test bed at Bracknell.

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
hmmmm not so sure why you say the FRtdi lacks ommpff as you put it , they are great torquey cars and will catch a lot of higher power cars out.
My girlfreind has one and real road conditions if i am in the wrong gear she pulls on me easily.
For mileage i would say its up to your budget if you can arfford £50 - 60 a week then buy a Cupra , if you cant buy a diesel , you wont regret buying a diesel FR though , infact if i was given the diesel every time i had a courtsey car the pain would not have been as much.

I'm not saying it does not have ommpff (it does!), I'm just saying it does not have much more ommpff then my current remapped Leon mk2. But then the FR can be remapped also. I just need to try a Cupra. :think:

I would love an Audi TT mk2 (looks stunning) but the back seats are a joke :( and I have a 4 year old and the missus to seat.

bqd

need some chocolate
Apr 19, 2008
Belgrade, Serbia
if you are about fuel economy go for diesel, don't even think about cupra... cupra is better in everything than fr tdi except fuel economy... like someone said don't even go for test ride with cupra :)

@husbandofstinky
new M5 will be 5.5 V10 twin turbo petrol with direct injection...

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
From what I understand the 5.5 litre is a stop gap until 2011 whereby it'll fall by the wayside due to the new and tighter EU emissions regulations.

With this in mind the development of the diesel has taken place due to the ever tightening emissions controls.

As you will appreciate this is only 2nd hand information from someone that goes to BMW HQ UK in Bracknell on a regular basis. I trust the guy but it could of course be just rumours although he says he's seen the engine on the bed.

Poverty

I was told by a very qualified (probably one of their most quliafied in the country) BMW service manager that the next M5 will be a diesel. Was on the test bed at Bracknell.

:lol:

Diesel M5 :cartman:

Turboed M5 yes, but diesel no, not yet anyway.

Anyway what I was told by one of the bmw creative marketing guys was that the german companies in the past 2 decades have poured most of their engine r&d tech on diesel engines, and now that they are all starting to switch the majority of resources back to petrol r&D and reckon that with teh huge turbo advancements they have made with diesel engines that petrol will catch up dramatically.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members